Print Wikipost

Motorcraft vs. Autolite spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:43 AM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Motorcraft vs. Autolite spark plugs

It is fairly common knowledge that Motorcraft spark plugs are made by Autolite. Is a plain old Autolite spark plug just as good as a Motorcraft, or does Ford require Autolite to manufacture the motorcraft plugs to a different specification. I hear all kinds of comments on this from just use the much more inexpensive Autolite because Autolite makes Motorcraft to Autolites are junk use Motorcraft.(the latter may not know Autolite makes Motorcraft). Again I am wondering if Autolite and Motorcraft are of the same quality or if Motorcrafts are manufactured to a different specification. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Bruker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always considered them to be the same.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I think that Honeywell makes spark plugs for both Motorcraft and Autolite, and that almost all Autolite plugs are made to the same specifications as their Motorcraft counterparts. It would not surprise me if these "sister" plugs are even pulled off the same assembly line. So I think we can say they are for the most part identical.

HOWEVER, there is a caveat to this. It should be noted that Honeywell does NOT make EVERY plug for Motorcraft, and so it's possible that another company could be a source of a particular Motorcraft plug. For example, the recommended OEM replacment plug for my Taurus SHO's 3.0L DOHC engine is Motorcraft's AGSP32PP which is made by Denso, not Honeywell. Nonetheless, there is an Autolite plug (APP3924) made by Honeywell that purports to be the OEM equivalent of the AGSP32PP, but they aren't really the same (among other things, the APP3924 is a little bit longer than the AGSP32PP). The Autolites work fine in the SHO but the plug wires tend to fit a little differently on them which makes some SHO owners a little uncomfortable (not me...I run Autolite DPs in all my vehicles). Bottom line is that the recommended Motorcraft plug and the recommended Autolite plug are not always the same animal. It all depends on the application.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:21 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I've always used either Autolites or Motorcrafts as of late. I've never had troubles with either and have always worked good in my Ford vehicles.

Awhile back I fell for the Bosch +4's but I got burned on that deal.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:41 PM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
way back ford owned the autolite name. now its allied signal company .both brands look alike except for the label painted on the plug. all i know for a fact is every one of my cars, trucks and boats run great with them. superrangerman i see the same thing every day some cars they run great some they don't and vw is one of them that they don't

Old 02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A while back I emailed Honeywell and asked them about their spark plugs. This is the reply I got.......

"As a division of the Honeywell Corporation, Autolite is the manufacturer responsible for the production of all Motorcraft spark plugs in North America for the Ford Motor Company. Both Autolite and Ford/Motorcraft spark plugs are built to quality standards using quality components. Autolite manufacture's the Motorcraft plugs based on the specific design requirements of the Ford Motor Company. Autolite and Motorcraft spark plugs are manufactured side-by-side at our facility in Northern Ohio."

Note that it says they build the Motorcraft plugs based on specific design requirements of the Ford Motor Company.
I still don't like Autolite plugs as I've seen lots of them fail.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:44 PM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave i was a little surprised about the Autolite failures.I know for yrs most top fuel teams and a lot of other racers even gm used Autolite.Dont know what the Nitro cars use now though.Now Champion plugs I have seen many failures.I had a 25 mercury that absolutly would not run for long w/champions.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
I suppose it's like most things. Some people swear by Champion spark plugs, some people swear at them. Same as Bosch, Autolite, NGK or whatever.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by V10KLZZ71S
Dave i was a little surprised about the Autolite failures.
I'm surprised by that, too. But I notice in the email Dave got back from Honeywell that nowhere do they claim that the Autolite plugs are manufactured to Ford specs. Hmmm....

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 AM
HARALSON COUNTY
New User
Spark Plug Repalcement 02 F150 4.6

SINCE THERE ARE SOME VERY SMART PEOPLE ON THIS POST I THOUGHT I WOULD ASK THIS QUESTION.
wHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET THE BACK 2 PLUGS OUT ON THE DRIVER SIDE AND THE LAST PLUG ON PASENGER SIDE ON 02 4.6 F150
I HAVE NOT CHANGED ANY PLUGS IN A VERY LONG TIME LAST WAS A 1985 150 AND 91 LTD.
THANKS

Old 05-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Welcome to the forum Haralson County

For some tips on replacing your spark plugs tke a look at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ark-plugs.html

Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 PM
HARALSON COUNTY
New User
Plug Replace

Ok I Get The Pic. On 5 Of The Plugs Put Do I Need To Remove The Fuel Rail For The Back Two On Drivers Side They Aint Much Room
Thanks For The Help

Old 05-11-2008, 10:48 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
I had an Autolite plug self destruct in the #1 cylinder of my 2000 F150. I have no idea how it didn't take out a valve. The center electrode and grounding strap were completely gone.

Needless to say, they are all Motorcraft now.

Mike

Old 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive seen regular Motorcraft plugs last almost 100,000 miles on the 4.0 engine and the Autolite Platinum replacements worn out at 40,000. Quality is NOT the same, not even close. I tend to go with the exact OE plug, if available.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-12-2008, 02:32 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the amount of labor it takes to put them in, the plugs aren't that expensive. Especially on some of today's rigs - the plugs are a PITA to get to. Save a buck, but lose some peace of mind. I'd agree with you, Jim, OEM plugs are the way to go.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft vs. Autolite spark plugs