2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audiophile won't play .mp3's

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:06 AM
tlincoln
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Audiophile won't play .mp3's

I recently purchased an 05 Screw Lariat. Build date on Nov. 04. The window sticker option states "Audiophile 6-disc cd changer w/mp3 capability". However, it won't play mp3 discs. The stereo installed is the Audiophile as shown on Pg 26 of the Owner's Guide. It does not have the mp3 logo on the CD player face and does not have the folder buttons either. Did I buy a truck with the wrong player installed from the factory? Since I bought the truck, thinking it had an option because it said so on the sticker, and if in fact it doesn't have the option available, this is false advertising.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any luck with dealer support on getting the reciever/changer unit replaced/upgraded? I haven't talked with the dealer yet (3.5 hours away)

Old 02-13-2005, 11:41 AM
ryn6609
Junior User
i beleive if it doesnt have the mp3 logo on the front of it just under the cd slot then it is the 04 model without mp3. my truck is an 04 and i found the same problem with sticker saying it worked. i agree if stick says mp3 capabilities and it doesnt work then that is false advertisment.i wouldve had wife ask about it when she was at dealer but they talk to her like she is a retard or at least thats what she tells me so no more trips to that dealer for us.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:07 PM
tlincoln
New User
The sticker listed it as a 2005. There's going to be a call to the dealer on this tomorrow, I was just curious what others thought before I asked. Wanted a little research first. Paying the money that we do these days, I expect EVERYTHING to be perfect, regardless if I'm a picky customer or not.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:17 PM
TestPilot
Junior User
TLincoln, my FX4 SCrew was built in Dec '04, has the logo, the folder buttons, and does indeed play MP3s. If your sticker says MP3, I wouldn't accept an old '04 radio just because they had leftovers sitting around the factory. You're not being picky, you paid for the '05 radio so you should demand it!

Old 02-14-2005, 02:06 AM
CentralCoaster
Senior User
Unhappy

Same here on my Lariat. The salesman said it'd play MP3s, the manual says "late availability" The radio says "CD-Rom" and spits it out.

I plan on bringing it up with the dealership when I call to have LoJack put in. There's probably thousands of people driving around with an mp3 unit in there and will never use it, but it was important to me.

I also noticed that the stereo has an "MP3" icon in the display, if the sun shines on it right. Seems strange that the headunit, or parts of it were designed for mp3 yet it doesn't play it.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:09 AM
CentralCoaster
Senior User
Mine was made in October btw.

Someone posted on here that theirs was mfg'd even earlier but had mp3!

Old 02-14-2005, 12:06 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
Plain and simple, some '05s have "MP3" on the head unit, and some don't. If it says MP3, then it'll play them. Now, if the sticker on your truck lists "MP3" under the options, then take your truck back to the dealership and make them set you up with an appointment to get it swapped out (free). You should get what your sticker shows! Good luck.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:19 PM
zhigaag
Senior User
This is specified on the order guide. I got an early build '05 that cannot play MP3's. Too busy driving to get it changed but we have a great dealer in our area that will make it right. Either way you should get what you paid for.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
chowder
New User
Similar for me. Sticker says audiophile w/ MP3 capability. Won't play MP3's though. Havent' had time to take it to the dealer. Anyone try to take this up with FORD yet?

Old 02-14-2005, 11:14 PM
CentralCoaster
Senior User
The senior salesman said it had mp3, the head unit doesn't, the sticker just says audiophile. The ford site said basically, audiophile=mp3.

If it hadn't i wouldve nixed the radio and went cheap and aftermarket. I spend freakin $550 in options on this radio, I want my MP3!

Old 02-19-2005, 08:23 AM
teuton01
Freshman User
I bought an '04 without MP3. Then i found a 6 disc MP3 on ebay for $240, bought it and sold my regular 6 disc also on ebay for $210. Not a bad $30 upgrade if you ask me.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:01 AM
farmrrob
New User
I am looking at ordering a new 2005 f250 with a Manual Trans. The MP3 issue is one that is holding me back. On the Ford Build your own site it lists the differenct Systems available. I called the dealer and he said none of them were MP3 capable. I E-Mailed FORD and the nice lady says the same thing. She said the demographics of the purchasers of F250-350 do not yet warrant putting in modern Stero equiptment.
On a expensive vehicle like these only the best should be available. On the Ranger and F150 the MP3 player Units are part of the Options to choose from.

For those who have the MP3 unit - what is the Order Code.
Thanks

Old 02-22-2005, 09:43 PM
CentralCoaster
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmrrob
I am looking at ordering a new 2005 f250 with a Manual Trans. The MP3 issue is one that is holding me back.
If thats all thats holding you up, the dealer should be happy to put one in for you. I'd make a point of that if you're committed to getting the truck.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:59 PM
tlincoln
New User
Thumbs up This is why...Visteon vs. Delphi

After many calls into the dealer and Ford Customer Service (no help at all on each), I ended up emailing Visteon and Delphi. This is the response from Delphi:
"I suspect your truck was built before December 2004. Prior to this

date, the CD6 radio was supplied by Visteon (I'm not sure if they have

MP3 or not). One way to check is to push the AM/FM button. If it is a

straight push it is Visteon--if it is a rocker style it is a Delphi.

Also, the Delphi radio does have the MP3 logo on it. Since you

mentioned yours does not--that may be an indication.

In any case, the Delphi and Visteon radios are exactly compatible. All

pinouts, mounting hardware, etc. are identical.

If you can convince the Dealer to swap radios you will have MP3. Let me

know if I can help you further."

DVD option has no effect on compatability either. Going to have it replaced at the dealer in a week. Determined Johnson Controls (JCI) makes the overhead rail system, DVD system and seats too.

Delphi is also releaseing Sirius radio in 06 trucks. I asked about backwards compatability and the answer to this was:
As far as the Sirius introduction, that will be done thru a remote box. It will not be integrated into the radio. It will play and function with the radio but the signal will be processed and sent from a remote/stand alone box. Your current radio--well Delphi radio -- is capable of processing the Sirius input, but you would need the box, antenna and harness. The current vehicle harness is not set up to power the box. The 2006 F150 is set up for a factory installation. I don't know if the Dealers can or would retrofit a 2005 vehicle."