1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

FRONT SUSPENSION ALTERNATIVES FOR 1948-1952- - I'm confused.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:13 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRONT SUSPENSION ALTERNATIVES FOR 1948-1952- - I'm confused.

A few weeks ago I purchased a 1948 F1 with the intentions of making it a roadster pickup. I'm now on the quest to get parts accumulated for that project. Since my 1951 F3 is sitting on an F350 chassis with big block 460 and C6, I decided that I wanted to go with a 302 this time with an AOD.

Yesterday, I purchased a 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis to use as a donor for the engine (non-EFI 302), transmission (AOD), rearend, front frame stub, steering column, power steering, front power disc brakes, and whatever else can be cannibalized from the car.

Last evening I went back and looked at the article summary "SUSPENSION ALTERNATIVES" specifically at the FoMoCo chapter. The article indicates the 1980 through 1991 frames are excellent, but, on the other hand, it can't be done because the frame goes "straight out". I don't have the car home yet, but I think I know what is meant by going "straight out". I have two Lincoln Mark (III & V) frames (1969 and 1977) here with 460's & C-6's in them that I don't want to use for this project. Both have perimeter frames meaning that the frame just behind the suspension attachments spread outward to just inboard of the rocker panels.

I would like to learn more how others have made the swap using the 1980's Ford Crown Vic/Mercury Grand Marquis frames into an F1 or F100. If pictures are available and directions as to how the obstacles were overcome, it would be greatly appreciated. I am accumulating all this information for the time when I go at the truck with a cutting torch.

Anyone out there in Cyberland, that can help me?

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Old 02-13-2005, 12:42 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have ridden in/driven a 63 F100 mounted on a Crown Vic frame. It rode and handled great. BUT! It was a lot of work and a lot of headaches. The front could be cut off and added like any other subframe. But, it would require some previous experience so you don't ruin a truck when you whack the front half of the frame off.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:51 PM
poolpro51
Junior User
Last year at Hot August Night I looked at a 1953 F-100 with a 1969 T Bird front clip. They cut off the frame at the fire wall & welded on the T Bird clip with the 429 engine. Looked trick.
As for me I used the Volare front suspention because I didn't want to make brackets to set the front body work on. Also I wanted to keep the ford truck frame.
Take a look at my gallery if your intrested in the Volare.
Mike

Old 02-13-2005, 06:25 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I think that engine will have Ford's version of a TBI called CFI. They used that setup on 83-85 302's with the AOD. However a 2 barrel carb off an older V-8 engine will bolt right up. That is what I've done for my '84 302 that had CFI. I modified the TV Rod linkage off the throttle body carb to fit my motorcraft 2150 carb. Also you need an older distibutor since that one is ECC IV. A Ford Duraspark igniton from a 75-86 truck works good. If I'm wrong just ignore this post. I can't help with the front clip.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:39 PM
huronfarmer
Senior User
well i put the front end off a 88 crown vic under my 53 f100....well actually at that time it was still an F250....ill try to get the pics on my gallery, if you dont see what you want, let me know, and ill look for different shots
Darrell

Old 02-13-2005, 08:42 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by AmeriKen
A few weeks ago I purchased a 1948 F1 with the intentions of making it a roadster pickup. I'm now on the quest to get parts accumulated for that project. Since my 1951 F3 is sitting on an F350 chassis with big block 460 and C6, I decided that I wanted to go with a 302 this time with an AOD.

Yesterday, I purchased a 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis to use as a donor for the engine (non-EFI 302), transmission (AOD), rearend, front frame stub, steering column, power steering, front power disc brakes, and whatever else can be cannibalized from the car.

Last evening I went back and looked at the article summary "SUSPENSION ALTERNATIVES" specifically at the FoMoCo chapter. The article indicates the 1980 through 1991 frames are excellent, but, on the other hand, it can't be done because the frame goes "straight out". I don't have the car home yet, but I think I know what is meant by going "straight out". I have two Lincoln Mark (III & V) frames (1969 and 1977) here with 460's & C-6's in them that I don't want to use for this project. Both have perimeter frames meaning that the frame just behind the suspension attachments spread outward to just inboard of the rocker panels.

I would like to learn more how others have made the swap using the 1980's Ford Crown Vic/Mercury Grand Marquis frames into an F1 or F100. If pictures are available and directions as to how the obstacles were overcome, it would be greatly appreciated. I am accumulating all this information for the time when I go at the truck with a cutting torch.

Anyone out there in Cyberland, that can help me?

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Ken,

Hello this is Donald Walker in Nashville. I provided a good deal of the information on the Ford clips. If you look at my gallery you will see the 80-91 Fomoco Front end on my 55'. The F-1 as you know are narrower therefore because the 80-91 Front End goes straight out it is not ideal for the F-1. The earlier 65-68 Fomoco Fullsize front ends taper in and would be close to where the frame horns could line with the original bumper mating points. Now I would say if you were not going to use a bumper you possibly use the 80-91 Clip just bare in mind you may have to create additional bracketing or gussetting to hold your radiator. look at this gallery.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...p?&albumid=806
This a Rear Steer Ford Clip, meaning the steering box is behind the main crossmember. This Front end is similiar to the 65-68 that is best suited for the F-1. If you need any more info. Let me know.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:03 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Thanks Dueller

51Dueller,

Thanks, for the information. I thought worst case would be to replace the entire intake manifold or put a chunk of aluminum on my Bridgeport and make an adapter for a carburetor.

I usually use an older points distributor with Pertronix electronic module for about $60. I have a Pertronix in my 1964 390 Galaxie, and in my 51 ford with the 1984 460 that was a DuraSpark. The 390 is cammed quite a bit, and it "jumps" to life when I start it. Before, I would take some grinding with the starter before it fired.

Thanks again,

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Old 02-14-2005, 06:17 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Darrell, thanks I would like to see the pictures

Darrell,

Yes, I'm interested in looking at the pictures, and to see how the adaptation was made. I haven't got the '85 Mercury home yet, but I was looking at my 1969 and 1977 Lincoln Mark frames, they are about 2" wider per side than the frame on my '48 F1. It looks that I may be able to make some boxing to "step" out to the width of the grafted front frame.

My hopes were to use as much from one car to make the conversion.

I don't have problems fabricating a mount for the front sheet metal where it mounts under the core support to the frame. I had to do the same thing for my 51 truck when I put it on a 1984 F350 chassis. The new chassis was about 10" wider therefore I had to modify the front valence for the newer bumper attachments, notch the cab to fit over the frame, remount the cab and bed, then widen the bed so that the sides would miss the rear spring perches.

I have about 50,000 pounds of steel structural stuff behind the barn from a mezzanine torn out of a factory a few years ago. This is my project steel.

Thanks, again.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Old 02-14-2005, 06:22 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Don,

I would be very interested to see how you made the adaptation.

I expected it to require brackets and other fabrications to anchor the front sheetmetal at the front of the frame, I had to do similarly when I put the 51 truck onto the 84 chassis.

I'll send you a private email so that if you want to just send the pictures rather than post them, you'll have that option.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Old 02-14-2005, 08:27 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ameriken, I am probably the biggest fan of these "big Ford" swaps, I have said before that they are a big job but the finished product, properly done, is well worth the time. I have found that is a real advantage to narrow these clips, taking 4 inches out of the middle lines up the frame rail so that you don't have to y the thing out, they go straight on. the motor mounts are a bolt on so moving them is simple. I use a threaded tube to narrow the drag link and rebend the front sway bar. This makes the graft much simpler, it narrows the front track and buys you some tire clearance if you want to slam the thing. Just my opinion but I have done several of them and they are sweet.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:29 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh, yeah, I also have a "map" for reinstalling the original core support to front of the clip, makes reinstalling the sheet metal 'way easier.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:06 PM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Hey FatFenders56, I'm all eyes and ears!!

At this point I'm more related to a sponge than any other creature, trying to soak it all up.

It sounds as if there is a lot of merit in narrowing the front clip assembly. Particulary in light of the potential treadwidth problem.

I had thought of that alternative, but discounted it either as being too difficult or impractical.

I suppose by narrowing the crossmember, it will raise the engine to some degree, since the motor mounts rest on the inclined part of the crossmember.

If you have progression pictures, I'd sure like to see them.

I will send you a private email with my email address. IF you have pictures, then you can send them to that email address.

Thanks in advance for pictures, advice, and directions.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Old 02-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Scott Hurley
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Have you checked out the Aerostar conversion? I've done it and I have a friend doing it in a 56 Panel, with a big block. The conversion is easyer than the others due to the fact there is no frame cutting. You can see pic's of it on my gallery, "Me Time" in the 56 gallery. It takes about 40 to 60 hours to do....mine took 60, due to me doing it alone and in my garage, and liminited tools. It rides and handles like a dream. Just another option to look at. Remember NO FRAME CUTS.

Scott

Old 02-15-2005, 07:16 AM
b1gr3d
Junior User
i used a 79 LTD on my 55 for the front susp. check out my gallery! oh and im 18 so surely YOU can do it!!

Old 02-16-2005, 05:41 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
I'm 18, also, but it's been around more than 3 times

Perhaps I can do it, but it takes me a lot longer to move around, particularly on and off a creeper.

I would like to see clearer pictures of the grafted areas if they are available. The pictures posted in your gallery are fuzzy.

Thanks,

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Quick Reply: FRONT SUSPENSION ALTERNATIVES FOR 1948-1952- - I'm confused.