Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3 L ford vs 5.9L dodge

Old 01-31-2017, 10:51 AM
texascowboymc1
New User
texascowboymc1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
haha thanks i see these forums can get pretty brutal lol...

Old 01-31-2017, 11:17 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.retiredsparky has a great reputation on FTE.
I would prefer to call the statements here honest, rather than brutal. If you continue to be a member, I think you will come to appreciate the helpful attitude here.

Larry

Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 PM
Colorado Horseman
Senior User
Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.Colorado Horseman has a good reputation on FTE.
As I recall, the old 12v 5.9 with clockwork injector pump was a very efficient and powerful (for her day) engine that was also easy to maintain.

However, my bone stock 2002 Powerstroke has blown the doors off (OK, easily passed ) a number of Dodges of various iterations as late as 2006 pulling similar loads over the Continental Divide.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:51 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by andym View Post
An off-topic post on a thread that's nearly 10 years old... you're new to the forum so we'll cut you some slack though.

With two trucks that old with that many miles, it comes down to which one was better maintained. Both have plenty of potential reliability issues with that many miles, even with good maintenance. There is really no way to give a good answer without knowing a lot more about how each truck was maintained. Without that information, you may as well flip a coin. Or go with whichever color you like better.
Andy pretty covered all the bases with this one.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 AM
nossliw
Postmaster
nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.
You are comparing two of the best motors produced from opposite sides. Both are equally reliable in my eye, however the computer controlled aspect of the 7.3 is its only thorn. Stock for stock they are pretty darn close to performance, however the 7.3 is about 5 fold more expensive to modify for equal reliable power in comparison. The 5.9 makes its torque down low and will always kick a 7.3s butt if driven the same way in the mpg department. The higher the HP level that factor shrinks, however you likely will have a very hard time making the same power a 5.9 will make once above 650-700 hp. The 5.9 from 94-98.5 is by far the easiest motor to crank up on a budget and retain reliability. (P-pumped mechanically injected) The bottom end of the 90 -98 5.9s is incredibly beefy, compare crank, rod, and bearing design with other motors for comparison. You can throw quite a bit at the bottom end. It is much cheaper when compared to a 7.3, and that’s why every highschooler out in the country owns a black huffing p pumped 12 valve. The VE pumped 24 valves were a step backwards IMO.

I love them both, own a couple 7.3s and a 12v as well, and will have another 12v shortly. The 12v ARE NOT IN DODGE TRUCKS… You can start a 12v on a stand with a jug of fuel a battery and two wires. They are the motor of choice for diesel swaps as the mechanical motors are much less troublesome to swap than any computer controlled motors. I work on a lot more 7.3s than 5.9s, and it seems there are quite a few more 7.3s on the road than the 5.9s these days, at least around here. Both are million mile motors and reliably they are equal in comparison.

I will say on the top end I have always been a fan of the 7.3, it carries the HP curve and feels as if it extends tq curve a bit more than the cummins past 2600 to 3300, but the 5.9 sure likes the 16-2200 rpm spot. Changing the config you can get close to the 7.3 curve as well.

As other mentioned. The rest of the dodge truck is complete effing garbage comparably. The NVs constantly need rebuilds if running a high hp motor, the autos are unspeakable for quite some time. I have never been a fan of the trucks except for the W series bodies, and of course the 40s power wagons. The ford is by far a better platform unarguably, OBS or SD.

This is all just an opinion on my end. Go ahead an yell if you don’t approve 

Old 02-01-2017, 11:01 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
the other end of the equation is the truck itself the is probably all there except for some rust/rot in the bed. the dodge on the other hand is most likely rotted out or had it's sheet metal replaced at least once.
dodge trucks tend to start falling apart after around 7-8 years.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:02 AM
nossliw
Postmaster
nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.nossliw has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
the other end of the equation is the truck itself the is probably all there except for some rust/rot in the bed. the dodge on the other hand is most likely rotted out or had it's sheet metal replaced at least once.
dodge trucks tend to start falling apart after around 7-8 years.
Agreed!!!!

I just realized this was a really old thread... ignore my post

Old 02-01-2017, 11:10 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
it is an old thread, but the person we are posting for only joined yesterday .

Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nossliw View Post
Agreed!!!!

I just realized this was a really old thread... ignore my post
It is an old thread but I found your post to be good information and I enjoyed reading it.