1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

4" of suspension lift, as easy as it sounds for a 79?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:51 AM
OzFTrucker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" of suspension lift, as easy as it sounds for a 79?

G'day guys, I need some advice on lifting an 80 model(same as the 79s in the US) F100 LWB 4WD regular cab running a 351 and 4 speed. From what I have read previously the F100s out here are the same as the F250s in the US as far as the frame goes(correct me if I'm wrong) so what I am asking is if a 4" suspension lift is as easy as springs and shocks in the front and probably blocks in the rear. I would also like to know if the front and rear shafts are going to be okay as I have replaced both in the last few months. It is my intention to run 35s once finished although I would like to go bigger but it causes difficulties with the police. Some opinions seem to vary on this subject and I would like to know what I'm up against before spending any money. Everyone here seems to be dead against bodylifting, is it really as bad as people say? Thanks in adavance.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:57 PM
samickguy15
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift Kit

The lift kit is pretty much as easy as shocks, springs, and/or blocks(you could use lift springs instead). Skyjacker sells a 4" kit which includes springs, add-a-leaf or blocks, pitman arm, and U-bolts. I believe it runs approximately $250 U.S. As to drive shafts, I'm not real sure. I would imagine that driveshafts would be fine with the 4". It couldn't hurt to get the C-bushings for the front axle though and maybe shims to correct the rear axle angles.

Best of luck.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:11 PM
OzFTrucker
Senior User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply mate. I've just got a few prices this morning for roughly the same kit of gear to do the lift and the best prices was $1710 aussie dollars for a kit with blocks for the back and $2300 for a kit with new rear springs. At those prices I might have to look into the rear shackle flip option after all.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:58 PM
billsbigbronco
New User
if your truck has leaf springs like our f250 could you have a spring shop rearch and add a leaf.

Old 02-12-2005, 05:19 AM
OzFTrucker
Senior User
Ive obviously got rear leaves but I have a coil spring front end(Ive only just discovered that you could still get leaf spring fronts in this body shape) so I would have to go with lengthened coils. The rearching of the rear would be okay but the spring guy in my town is useless, he would probably end up lowering the ride height. What I was really getting at was whether I would have to lengthen my driveshafts and brake lines. I have thought of a shackle flip for the rear but I have had problems from the police in the past due to having drilled out some frame rivets on my last truck and replaced them with grade 8 bolts when I repaired my front stabiliser rod brackets.
I have recently learned that if I lift my truck more than 2" I will have to have it inspected by an engineer and have what they call a lane change test performed on it. This is to make sure it still complies with the letter of the law. The lift idea sounds like it is getting harder by the minute.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:06 AM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
From what I have read previously the F100s out here are the same as the F250s in the US as far as the frame goes
The F250 used leaf spring on the front axle. F110/150 all used coil unless it was a 1/2 ton supercab.

so what I am asking is if a 4" suspension lift is as easy as springs and shocks in the front and probably blocks in the rear
Yes, that and possibly a drop pitman arm

What I was really getting at was whether I would have to lengthen my driveshafts and brake lines
Driveshafts will be fine but you should look at the hoses to make sure they are long enuf. I think with a 4" lift your OE hoses will work fine.

Everyone here seems to be dead against bodylifting, is it really as bad as people say?
Personal opinion basically. I think that body lifts look like a poor mans way of lifting his truck up. The idea of lifting the truck in the 1st place is to fit bigger tires for clearance issues. Well the bigger tires won't do much good when the frame is still dragging in the mud.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:41 AM
OzFTrucker
Senior User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply, plenty of good information in there for me to think about.