1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Tonneau Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:52 AM
05bluehog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I have a long-bed SnugTop. Basic model. Color match (Oxford White) was very good. I need to seal the leading edge (behind the cab) better than the dealer does, as I get water in the bed when it rains and I'm at speed. Counterweight air-springs are well balanced, and are reasonable to replace when that finally is needed. Is easily removed (but get a friend to help) if you want to haul anything large. I think the locking mechanisms are a bit light-duty, but their higher-end model cures that.

I really like the way it makes the truck look.

SpringerPop
SpringerPop - have you had any issues with it sagging in the center... the long bed just looks like it would droop... which is my concern with a "flat" top styles. I was concidering one of the brands (Leer & ARE) just because of that. But I must admit the SnugLid is a classy, clean look. Thanks for your input... I am looking at the "SL" as it's features are quite nice.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:59 AM
05bluehog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Y2K350
I have the Leer hard cover on my 03 long bed CC. The paint match is perfect. It is kind of heavy and I don't like the locking mechanism but it does look sharp and it doesn't leak and is easy to remove with 2 people.

Tony
Y2K350 - What don't you like about the locking mechanism? I do see that they now all come with the twist "t" handle instead of the push button hook. Have you had any problems with the cable latches? One dealer of another brand said that they can work lose and not unlatch leaving you stuck with one side that opens and one that doesn't. Also does it cover completely the black factory bed protectors? One dealer (of another brand) said the Leer sets up so high that they have seal issues and the bed protectors are visible.

Do you have any pics of it? I am very interested... you can private mail them if you would rather.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Y2K350
Elder User
Originally Posted by 05bluehog
Y2K350 - What don't you like about the locking mechanism? I do see that they now all come with the twist "t" handle instead of the push button hook. Have you had any problems with the cable latches? One dealer of another brand said that they can work lose and not unlatch leaving you stuck with one side that opens and one that doesn't. Also does it cover completely the black factory bed protectors? One dealer (of another brand) said the Leer sets up so high that they have seal issues and the bed protectors are visible.

Do you have any pics of it? I am very interested... you can private mail them if you would rather.
I currently have the push button and it is a real pain in the you know what. You have to push extremly hard on the button to disengage the lock. The T handle is on my list of things to do this coming spring. I want to be able to open it with one hand. It does completely cover the factory bed rail protectors and seals very well. We get a very fine powdery snow here that likes to travel into everything and I get absolutely none in the bed. I don't have any pics of the 03 yet, also on my list of things to do.

Tony

Old 02-10-2005, 12:31 PM
t_j82
Elder User
t_j82 - what model do you have? Is it the SL or traditional? The dealers here never mentioned the tailgate seal... what info do you have a bout that? I like the idea of additional points to secure rather than relying on the clamps. I would think that would help greatly in replacing the unit to exact location as I will be removing it often for my slide in camper. Thanks for the input. As well any info on the top mounted locking mechanics holding up as I mentioned above to GREYF250
05Blue,
I had the traditional I believe. The tailgate seal is a thick rubber seal kit (almost like a door seal) that glues to the bed between the gate and bed and seals it right up, I found that most topper places have it.

Never had any issue with front leakage and as for the locks, I thought that would be a problem as well. After a couple of snowy winters having to broom off my lid to open it I never had a lock freeze or jam. About the only thing I had happen was the screw that holds the lock tongue that swivels came loose and the lock cylander spun all the way around until I tightened it back up. Otherwise, the 3 bulb rubber seal that contacted my bed caps worked well ( I never found another top that had this) and the over the rail construction made water and whatever drop off, plus the color match was very close.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:34 PM
oldrifleman
Senior User
On my last truck I had the ARA and loved it. One of the selling points for me was that it had the highest swing of those that I found. I liked the latch system, it worked very well. The downside was that it was heavy. I put a regular canopy on my new SD and sort of miss the wide open view of the Tonneau cover. StevenG

Old 02-10-2005, 02:09 PM
05bluehog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Y2K350
I currently have the push button and it is a real pain in the you know what. You have to push extremly hard on the button to disengage the lock. The T handle is on my list of things to do this coming spring. I want to be able to open it with one hand. It does completely cover the factory bed rail protectors and seals very well. We get a very fine powdery snow here that likes to travel into everything and I get absolutely none in the bed. I don't have any pics of the 03 yet, also on my list of things to do.

Tony
It seems the push button was a ral pain for everyone... they no longer produce them! Everyone gets the twist t-handle. It is easy to use and I liked the flip up for the key lock as it helps protect it from the elements. Does the raised area of the top extend all the way to the back of the tailgate? I have not found a good pic of the top of the cover... and all models are different for each manufacturer body style. You are the first I have heard of as having it on a Ford SD long bed as well. Sorry for the questions!

Old 02-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Y2K350
Elder User
It seems the push button was a ral pain for everyone... they no longer produce them! Everyone gets the twist t-handle. It is easy to use and I liked the flip up for the key lock as it helps protect it from the elements. Does the raised area of the top extend all the way to the back of the tailgate? I have not found a good pic of the top of the cover... and all models are different for each manufacturer body style. You are the first I have heard of as having it on a Ford SD long bed as well. Sorry for the questions!
I figured there must be a better solution than the push button and it doesn't look like it would be too difficult to convert it to a T handle. It is raised all the way to the back however it does slightly taper to the rear and the sides. I can't get any good pictures right now because of the snow we are currently getting but I should be able to get some this weekend.

Tony

Old 02-10-2005, 06:28 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
BlueHog,
No sagging issues, at all. It's almost dead flat. I suspect the additional thickness indicates that it has honeycomb or something else rigid molded into it.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
GREYF250
New User
GREYF250 - has there been any issues with the top mounted key lock? I was surprized that they didn't have a cover over it. It would seem that moisture or dirt would create problems. I understand it is like a trunk lock so it is always locked when you close it (that seems nice)... has that ever been an issue for you? One last question, I noticed that they do not have anything that protects their front seal when you open it... Does water or debris enter the bed or get on the front rail and create closure problems?
The lock on the top is a lock like on my 79 Ford Pickup. (actually uses a ford style key) It has a small metal cover piece inside that moves out of the way when you put the key in. I have not had any problems with it.

The dealer that installed it put a rubber seal on the bed, The snug lid has one on it. Between the 2 no moisture comes in the front. In fact I store some moving type quilts in the bed and they do not get wet at all. I do not have any sort of tailgate seal.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:55 AM
lhoward
New User
Just put an ARE on my 04. Perfect color match. Also has "e-lock", unlocks and locks with factory power door lock remote, very nice feature. The lid has exactly the same body lines as the trucks hood. Installed seal around tailgate and have no leaks! Great lid!!!! Had a "roll and lock" retractable on a chevy and it leaked pretty bad.

Old 03-01-2005, 02:06 PM
the deno
Junior User
i have the are on mine and like it just fine,looks great and dosent leak.perfect color match and pretty durable,(i'm a little rough with the use of my truck)good luck with your choice deno