General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I hate Sophomore English

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 07:00 AM
redneckfarmer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate Sophomore English

Yesterday i got my first speeding ticket all because of my English class! It all started yesterday when we had a 3 hour delay for school because of fog. So i pick up my friend and we go to town to the wal mart because we both needed note cards for our english class. when we get out to the truck, it wont start. it was flooded so we waited about 15 minutes to start it again and it starts up, and we noticed we had about 10 minutes until the bell rang at school, and school is about 6 miles away from school. so we are cruisin along this back road at about 65 miles an hour (speed limit 45) and this state cop pulls us over. i get 2 tickets, one for speeding, the other for havin a passenger with me (i have had my license for a month, and you cant have passengers until after 3 months). i was so mad because it was half a mile away from school. then i get home and wait until my dad gets home and tell him, and ya know i was in alot of trouble and im grounded and blah blah blah. then my mom gets home, and my english teacher sent her a email at work that says i am getting an F in her class! all because of this paper that she claims i didnt turn in. but i have the paper to prove it, and i got a B on it, which will raise my grade to a B because it was worth 27 percent of my grade. so, needless to say, today at school i will have a pleasent talk with my teacher.

sorry for the long story i am just so mad because of it and i thought some people could get a laff or two out of it

later

Old 02-04-2005, 08:08 AM
fordman102
Elder User
Sure glad I'm not paying your insurance. Sounds like you better take that safe driver course.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Icicle
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No passengers for three months? Huh? Yet another example of how parents have been replaced by the government, thanks big brother.....sheeesh

Old 02-04-2005, 08:26 AM
JerseysBest
Senior User
they had that no passenger law put into efect for new drivers about a year or so after I got my license, all the younger kids in highschool hated it, and I would too. But it does make sense, for me, i know i get real distracted when I got a bunch of friends in the car, but havin one guy on the way to school and get a ticket, thats BS

Old 02-04-2005, 08:28 AM
fordtrucklover94
Elder User
Thats odd, 3 months? Here in NC, as far as I know, you are allowed to have one passenger and one passenger only until you get your full provisional. Luckily I got grandfathered out of that one, but I can't cary many passengers as is, got a ranger ext cab. I understand about high school english. My senior year, I almost failed it bc we would always have political debates in class, and my views, along with 3 other guys, differed from my teachers. We all gave her our final papers, and we all failed that paper. Luckily I had done very well on my tests and hw that I pulled a B out of it. But wait until college english, IT'S SO MUCH FUN, literally, I love it 10x more than high school, don't have to do the literary criticism crap for the levels of english I have to take, freshman and sophomore english. As for the paper, I'd show her the graded paper and ask why she said that you were failing, ask to look in the computer and check that out, teachers have been known to slip and forget to enter in a grade or two, speaking from experience here

Old 02-04-2005, 09:07 AM
D-ranged2.5
Senior User
I don't see the part where that was the fault of English class...
If school was delayed three hours, it means most likely that if you show up late and tell your principal or whoever that you were trying to drive according to weather conditions, they aren't going to complain much. Also, if you worked it out, there was no way you'd have made it on time even speeding! Just chill out, cruise in a little late, no big deal. ("It's better to show up at school than the morgue"... that's a good argument, appealing to their sense of "worldly responsibility" or something like that. )
If you know you can't drive with friends in the car, don't. Simple as that. Or tell the cop you found your friend walking through the fog and thought it was too dangerous... I mean, if you hadn't been speeding and all, he probably wouldn't have ticketed you anyway. I know a guy who has been driving without a license for a year and he's a month away from getting it back, and he's only 20! He lost it speeding... trying to get to work on time because he lived 2 hours away (no traffic). Now, he'll show up at noon if that's when he gets there. It's just not worth the consequences sometimes. Good luck trying to get out of this ticket... here's hoping it's the last!

Old 02-04-2005, 04:58 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You young'uns all got a screw loose, that is why you are being restricted when driving.

Good Luck on the English grades, and don't give up on that class either, the best paid white/blue-collar workers are usually the ones with the best communication skills. There is alot more to ENGLISH than you think!!!!! Learn it like the back of your hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2005, 05:05 PM
BillC
Elder User

Just another sign of the times in todays world, no one wants to take the blame for their own actions. I didn't see anywhere on that post that anyone else was to blame.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:55 PM
woogs
Elder User
I agree college English is easier. First day of class, Engl. I my teacher said "yall can take all those rules that you leaned in highschool like, don't start a sentance with and, etc. (haha that's the only rule I can remember anyway) and throw them out the window!" here in college english we are focusing on making you creative in your writing or something like that. I pulled a B in that class and never did a thing sides write like 5 papers that semester. woulda got an A but I didn't turn in a paper (did write it though) cuz I was fishin'

y'know if you wait 'till you're 18 to get your licence, you don't get all those restrictions (I'm just bitter cuz I didn't get mine till I was 18, but lookin' back, I wasn't ready to be drivin' on the street when I was 16 anyhow)

Last edited by woogs; 02-04-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:52 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Icicle
No passengers for three months? Huh? Yet another example of how parents have been replaced by the government, thanks big brother.....sheeesh
Six months in Orygun, and you lose you're licence until you're 18 if you're ticketed for it. Also a 12:00 curfew until age 18. In all fairness, the majority of teenage wrecks involve 1) another passenger and 2) occur between the hours of 12:00-2:00 AM. That can't be a huge surprise, right?

Last edited by polarbear; 02-04-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:23 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The reason they passed the law is that most teenage vehicular deaths were caused when there were a bunch of kids in the car. The young driver was distracted by his/her friends, and wasn't paying attention to the road

Old 02-05-2005, 10:36 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Another young man who probably isn't truly responsible enough yet to operate a motor vehicle. 65 on a back road? I know you are in the flatlands of Indiana, but if a cop could hide where you didn't see him that means there must be at least a few blind spots or low hill crests on the road. Did it ever occur to you that a tractor with a wide implement could be coming toward you around a blind corner? Or pulling out of a farm lane from behind some trees? You wouldn't have time to react and would either hit it or end up upside down in the field. Additionally, other drivers tend to expect you to follow the speed limits. They see you coming and decide whether or not to pull out into the road based on how fast you should be going-they can't necessarily tell that you are approaching much faster than you should be.
I could go on and on. I am a high school teacher for 20 years now. One time, just one time, I'd like to hear a kid say: "It was my fault all this happened to me." Just once. If I had a buck for every time a kid transferred blame to everyone and everything else but himself, I could retire.
Lastly, do you know why you have to pay out the wazoo for insurance? It is because, statistically, every male in the 16-20 age group will have one accident causing claimable damage. It is as simple as that. I hope you don't learn the lesson of driving responsibly the hard way as so very many of my deceased students and their families have had to. It is an unbearable tragedy to watch young people die on the road for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON.
Sorry for the rant.
Grow up kid-the first step to becoming a man is to accept full responsibility for his actions. Start doing so today and your parents will trust and believe in you to a much greater extent than you thought possible.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:45 AM
shanesF150
Senior User
my high school is 18 miles away from my house and on the way we pass area's were
its 35mph and its bs, Not one person have i ever seen do under 45 in that spot.

But one day a cops goin to sit thare a bust us all

well in florida its 16 you cant drive from 11pm to 6am, 17 its 1am to 5am, and 18 you
are free to go. Plus if your car or truck fits 20 or something stuped you can drive
that number of passengers.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:13 PM
!977f250
Freshman User
Not to be a jerk or anything, but I'm any English teacher. What I find so comical is that you are mad at your English class and you can't even spell the name of your own state. It's Indiana not Inidana. Hmmmm?

Last edited by !977f250; 02-05-2005 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-05-2005, 08:48 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also don't see how your english class did this to you. Looks to me like you were running late because of car problems and you made a clear and conscious decision to speed. A cop sees you going 20 over the limit and he does his job; it was not personal. In fact, if it was foggy he was probably rather pi**** about it. Next time, I'd suggest going the speed limit and being late. Explain what happened and deal with it. As long as you don't make a habit of this, most will understand. Odds are, something has happened to most of us and we have been late once in a very great while too.

Quick Reply: I hate Sophomore English