Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge has the longest lasting trucks on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge has the longest lasting trucks on the road?

Dodge pickups longest lasting trucks on the road. Chevy has the most durable trucks in america. What was fords. The most durable diesel. I cant remember. Can someone dig up the link? Im sure someone has it bookmarked.. HMMM?

Bottom of page three. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/p...S_QUALITY.pdf#

Old 02-03-2005, 07:43 AM
wnorman1192
Senior User
Its funny the way that all manufacturers can seem to basically claim to be the leaders in the same categories. I think they will all last a long time, but I would like to see advertising claims somewhat regulated. I think there should be a single unbiased agency that verifies all claims before the manufacturer can advertise. All HP and torque claims should also be verified by taking a vehicle from the regular production line and running an engine dyno. Some are under rated and some are over rated, and I would like to know how they truly compare. Back to the topic at hand, it is possible that the Dodge HD could be the longest lasting trucks on the road, seeing that the cummins has something like 350k miles before first major overhaul (I would like to see that claim verified as well), and the trucks in general will all last a long time if maintained. I thought Chevy recently made the same claim, but they may have been referring to 1/2 ton trucks. There could also be something to Chevy's claim, as there has to be something that accounts for their high resale values. I guess it's all how how they look at the numbers.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:29 AM
beano
Senior User
well i can tell ya for a fact that dodges are going to fall apart at 100k. this is going to turn into another war, i can read the future. mrs cleo and i are going in bussiness together.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:40 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every manufacturer has the selling points in ads. Ford still had there Built Ford Tough slogan which they have had like forever. I noticed they call Chevy trucks An american revolution now instead off Like a Rock. They admit now there trucks arnt as tough as they used to be. JK Guys who noes. Ford slogan has been around the longest so there definitly better. So Beano did you get a Ford yet.?

Old 02-03-2005, 09:50 AM
waskeer
New User
Until you start stacking the trucks up against each other in real world tests, you simply can't compare them... by slogans or spec charts or any other manufacturer- supplied data or claims.

By my experience and observations...

-Chev has a much nicer finish, ride and creature comforts
-Dodge gets better mileage overall
-Ford will take a beating (overload, overwork, etc) for a lot longer.

That being said, all three of them have made significant strides in improving their shortcomings in which the other two excel. The exception to that is Ford's mileage... it still is terrible after all these years!!

...just my nickel's worth... (BTW, 3rd time Ford owner)

Old 02-03-2005, 10:14 AM
beano
Senior User
here we go again

Old 02-03-2005, 10:31 AM
tkondro
Senior User
If you think about Ford's mileage on the new 6.0L compared to the old 7.3L it is better from my experience. They added 75 h.p. to the 6.0 L over the 7.3L and a bunch of torque, so to increase the fuel mileage is a step in the right direction I think. And the cummins is not that much better on fuel. I would even say that the duracraps are just as good as the cummins on fuel. My father had one and constantly beat me with mileage, until I put the transfer tank on. Can you say 1500 miles to a tank!!!

All these trucks are pretty much the same truck, it just depends on your driving style and what suits it best.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:34 AM
ddrumman2004
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they all will last if given proper care. Granted, some parts fail before their expected lifetime but that can happen with any make of vehicle or product.
As far as which vehicles last the longest? Around here where I live, I see more older Fords than any other make. I'm talking Fords that go back into the late 60's, early 70's.
I see very few older Dodges or Chevy's, especially the Chevy style that preceeded the changeover back in the late 80's. Not sure what year Chevy changed the body style...anyone know?
Anyway....around here, there are more older Ford's on the road than anything else. That has to say something for them.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 AM
LK
Elder User
All the automakers manipulate the numbers to make themselves look good - for example, both Dodge and Chevy claim to be the "longest lasting trucks on the road". To determine this, they use truck registrations - how many trucks sold 10 or 20 years ago are still registered today. The way both Chevy and Dodge can claim this is that they measure it using different years - so neither is lying, they're just using the numbers that make them look the best.

Big picture, the durability and reliability of Dodge, Chevy, and Ford are nearly identical - in initial quality, long-term durability, however you want to look at it. IIRC, the actual percentages of trucks still on the road was something like 97.6%, 97.7%, and 97.8% - they were so close that it would be quite a stretch to call one of them better than the others. The other ratings are similar...while they can say one truck is better or worse, the difference is actually very small.

I've owned 30+ trucks over the years, and my personal experience backs this up - while I've had good trucks and bad trucks, overall I really can't say that one brand was more reliable or durable than the others. I happen to like the current Ford offerings, so my last 4 new trucks were Fords - plus I'm just more familiar with them. However, I've had good and bad trucks of every brand - I've seen gassers of all three brands that easily topped 200,000 miles (several over 300,000), and I've seen some that couldn't hit 100,000. Same thing with the diesels, though the older Chevy diesels had some issues (however, I still put over 300,000 on the 6.2L in my 1982 GMC farm truck). Heck, one of my friends has well over 300,000 miles on his '89 Chevy pickup with a 350 - the motor hasn't had any work, and every summer it's still used to pull his boat and haul his slide-in camper. My Dodge plow truck (5.2L V8) had well over 250,000 miles when it got so rusty that I couldn't plow with it anymore...still runs, but isn't safe to drive. Any truck will last a long time if you keep up with routine maintenance...unless it's just a lemon, and unfortunately all makers produce some lemons. Just don't get a truck made on a Friday afternoon.

LK

Old 02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
460429_freak
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well I have seen owned and worked on all 3 (67-89)
fords twin I beam was worse problem here in the country (bushing wore out) second was "brain box"

chevy's seem to rust more than the fords did and the starter was the worse problem with them.... 305 ate cams liek candy but the ol 350 was good motor

dodge hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm before the cummins it was looking gloom for mopar...
eletrical problems and tranny's was Dodge biggest problems on the years listed above

in my area you see

a tie between ford and chevy and you RARLEY see a dodge in the years listed above....

now if you get into the newer models

ford and dodge dominate in the 4x4 and the deisel market chevy new desiel is starting to catch on

in the gasser 4x4 and 2wd model its a dog fight between ford and chevy..

in the small trucks FORD all the way all you see are rangers or explorers then some blazer and very few durango's

the one thing you don't see around here is the chevy 6.2 or 6.5 most poeple switch to the ford 6.9-7.3 lots of them running around here...the old box style dodge with cummings is rare too but the newer one are getting common

Old 02-03-2005, 11:42 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
I've seen all 3 manufacturers have commercials saying their trucks last the longest, are most reliable, and have the best resale. The thing that seperates them is the fine print at the bottom. I recall a chevy commercial saying they have the "most reliable, longest lasting trucks on the road" based on recent studies-well that study included overall reliability survey's of trucks between 1988-2004. Dodge had one out and basically said the same thing but was based on the years of 1994-2004, and it included the resale factor. So remember to read the fine print, I'm waiting for which of the big three will limit the commercial to their current line of trucks, and not ones from 10+ years ago.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:54 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford trucks dominate period. All the other ads are targeted against Ford the truck leader. Ford doesnt have to have any fancy sayings. The Ford name sells itself. Everybody else has to earn there truck business. Last time I checked the numbers Ford blew away the competition in sales numbers. Do I need to say anyhthing else.Nope

Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 150ford
Last time I checked the numbers Ford blew away the competition in sales numbers. Do I need to say anyhthing else.Nope
To be honest GM usually sells more pickups than ford does. Ford had a good year because it had a new truck. More people traded up. Within the next year or two GM will be at the top of the heap again.

Ive seen so much of this advertising that I dont believe it anymore. Not so long ago dodge said they had 96% of their trucks made in the last 20 years on the road. That to me is a bold faced lie. RL had that data to back it up so I guess its true right?

As to whos the best? We have our favorites. They might not be our favorites in 10 years but right now they are the cats meow. Im a ford man through and through but am dissapointed ford offed my favorite engine. It was 8 years ago and Im still waiting for them to bring it back.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:10 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
To be honest GM usually sells more pickups than ford does. Ford had a good year because it had a new truck. More people traded up. Within the next year or two GM will be at the top of the heap again.
Correct, but GM does not sell trucks, GMC and Chevy do. I know its splitting apples but that is why Ford can say it has the best selling truck.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:33 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Originally Posted by 150ford
Ford trucks dominate period. All the other ads are targeted against Ford the truck leader. Ford doesnt have to have any fancy sayings. The Ford name sells itself. Everybody else has to earn there truck business. Last time I checked the numbers Ford blew away the competition in sales numbers. Do I need to say anyhthing else.Nope
Ok, this thread isn't about sales, its about longetivity-I know your response to that. Anyways, I was responding to the original poster who was talking about the adds. But either way, great input, like always.

Quick Reply: Dodge has the longest lasting trucks on the road?