Alberta Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Puddy

Uni coming home.. finally

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uni coming home.. finally

Come and listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed.... no not really but this has been a saga going on since October. A guy I know, from the Slick 60's club, spotted a short Unibody in Omaha before Halloween. It took over a month to find the owner, get it running, and take it for a test drive, but my buddy in Omaha kept after it.

I spoke to the owner only once on the phone, he was VERY hard to get hold of, and he told me there was a problem with the brakes, but that it had a fairly new 351W in it, and that his dad had built the truck. His dad is a body man. I got lucky the day i was gonna make an offer thru my friend down there, when i wired the money down the exchange rate was at it's highest all year,,, nearly 85 cents!. My intent was to go pick it up between Xmas and new years by flying down, driving it home. My buddy who had done the purchase for me was gona fix the brakes. The time line was october to december to get this done, up to the brakes.

Buddy could not pinpoint the brake problem. He bled them, changed the back wheel cylinders, changed the master cylinder, bled them some more. Finally they were usable. But Xmas/new years was long past. My insurance company told me my insurance was only good out of country until feb 5. So, the first week of january I asked my boss for the time off to go get the truck. He says, 'we're too busy, get it shipped and I'll pay for it'. He meant, of course shipped to the border. To ship it across would be insanely expensive.

So I booked a shipping company, as I had got quotes form about a dozen places before Xmas, just in case. Paid $100 US deposit by Paypal to the shipping outfit. and waited. and waited. and waited. I called down to see why there had been no response. Wayne Webster, of Webster services, told me he'd got my deposit, but hadn't recived the order. (the Paypal deposit was the last page of his online order form, he couldn't have got the deposit without the order. But I re-filled it in and sent it again. and waited. then I started phoning.Every day for six days I phoned. All I got was lies, like "I sent you an e-mail" or "I'm working on it". I began to suspect a scam. I sent him several e-mails more, no response at all. Then I had Paypal investigate him for Fraud.

That got his attention. He began to BS me with "I had a truck booked" and "This violates our agreement". Of couse, in the 10 or 12 inquiries daily before that, he never once mentioned this. He was full of BS. But, longer story short, I got my money back, luckily the deposit was in Paypal or I'd be out a hundred US for sure.

So, the truck is actually on it way, now. My buddy in Omaha found an outfit down there to ship it. I meet the truck in Cory's home town of Coutts/Sweetgrass this Friday after work. Hope the last part goes smooth, the rest sure hasn't!
A link to the pic https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=62669&width=0

RF

Old 02-04-2005, 11:19 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
So who's Cory ??? Yeah that sounds like fun, if i would still be down there i would meet you in Coutts then run accross with you (you might have an easier time getting it across with me there) over to sweetgrass (where exactly did you pick it up?).

Anyway my dad would kill for a truck like that (he used to have a mint 66 mercury uni), but anyway be sure to let us know how it went today.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mustange70
So who's Cory ???
Anyway my dad would kill for a truck like that (he used to have a mint 66 mercury uni), but anyway be sure to let us know how it went today.
Doh, Sorry CODY.
The saga continues. News at 11

Old 02-05-2005, 12:40 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Strangly enough, thats not the first time thats happened, it's 11:30. . .. .you get it back yet (more pictures) and if you can't get it today, let me know cause my dad i think wouldn't mind taking a look at it (if you don't mind that is)

Old 02-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Went to the US side (Sweetgrass Mt) Friday night to meet the guy bringing it up from Omaha. Supposed to meet him at 6:00 PM at the Glocca Morra.Sat in Sweetgrass till 9:30 without a phone call or... nothing . Finally I went home, and at about 12:30 AM I get a call:..."I'm here". Sure, ... I am gonna drive an hour to the border for the second time tonight, untrailer and re-trailer the uni , and bring it home at 3:00 in the morning, if I can wake anybody up at Customs to let me import the thing. Right.

So I told him; 'find a place to sleep, I'll be there in the morning'.
I get there at 8:00 this morning, he's sleeping in the truck parking lot with the motor running, took me quite a while to find out if he was dead or alive. However, he knew he was 'live when he came out into the -14 (and snowing) in his summer jacket tho.

Alls well that ends well tho, got it home (and thru customs no prob) at about 10:00. The thing is more fun to drive than a barrel of monkeys!!

Man I love them old trucks!!! More fun to drive than any new truck by a mile!

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 02-06-2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:21 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
That sounds like it was fun.

Get some more pictures up, them old uni's shortboxes look killer (i wouldn't mind finding a 4wd, there is one down in Great Falls somewhere, not for sale though)