4R70W - is it an easy rebulid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:20 AM
jcollier22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Thanks a TON! DustyBumpers. This is exactly what I needed. My
'98 might be old, but she's certainly worth saving.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:04 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
I know what you mean, the truck in the pictures is a 94

Old 05-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BEAL73
I've got no reverse and no O/D and funny shifts. A junkyard has another tranny for $1000 w/exchange. The local tranny shop wants $2100-$2300 to rebuild mine. I see there are rebuild kits and I'm sure I will need a couple of other pieces when it's all said and done. I've never crakced open an auto before. Can I get a Haynes manual and rebuild it myself? I've done alot of mechanical work and an engine or 2. Is it possible for a shadetree to do this? I have no problem dropping the tranny and replacing it with one from a junker. I'm just asking if it would be cheaper to rebuild my own without expertise?

These are the easiest transmissions to rebuild and you don't need any special tools outside a good torque wrench.

You can make a spring tension stand and servo removal tool from scrape wood and some bolts and nuts.

Just use a quality rebuild kit that includes the upgraded parts and pay attention to how it come apart. You can use the Ford factory diagrams to see the assembly order. I would use assembly grease as I go along. The whole process is about taking good photos and keeping everything clean and take your time. And don't start scratching the bores with a pick!

If the OD servo clip is broken all up after you removed the cover. Scrape the whole case as it's no good now. You can't salvage it. As the new clip will not hold in the groove.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:16 AM
bluecar5556
6th Gear
4R70W ford lincoln mercury transmission service manual is available for free in the link below.

https://torrentz.eu/search?q=4r70w

If you don't know what bittorrents are, you will need a bittorrent program. www.qbittorrent.com is my favorite for windows systems.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:21 PM
kentschmeusser
New User
4r70w rebuild

I just finished my complete rebuild of my 4r70w yesterday, out of my 95 f150 302. Never rebuilt a trany before, n I had success doing my first rebuild, thanks from my guy james Williams from www.transmissionbench.com. he has extensive clear n precise direction on how to rebuild the aode/4r70w.
I had the same issue with reverse, I put in reverse n I went forward..big issue..right? So I decided to tackle the project of the rebuild. After tearing it all down, I found my forward clutch (friction and steel plates) welded together. But as I investigated more, the reason it failed was my OD piston rod bore had slop in it, allowing fluid to leak past, which reduced my pressure on my forward clutch. So once my forward clutch seized together, it wouldn't release to allow the reverse drum to engage.
I bought the master rebuild kit, which included the sonnex sure sure kit, that fixes my problem that I had, and other common failures that happen to this transmission. I spent the extra money for the sonnex kit, but was worth it in my opinion. It's definitely doable for the average truck owner. He shows u how to build your presses you need for the sub assemblies, n the pistons. I highly recommend using transmissionbench.com for parts n questions about your rebuild. Good luck. Happy rebuild 4r70w owner

Old 07-19-2015, 04:45 PM
bluecar5556
6th Gear
4R70W OEM Helms Service Manual

Step 1: Download and install a bit torrent program, Qbittorrent by scrolling to the bottom and click the green 'download now' icon. It works with windows, mac and linux.
Step 2: Click 4R70W OEM Service Manual then click the first link on the website titled 'Kat.XX'
Step 3: You should now see the title '4R70W Ford transmission factory service manual PDF OEM' on the website.
Step 4: Click the small magnet link on the top left on the website.
Step 5: The bittorrent program will now download the manual to your computer.
Step 6: Give me a thanks if you feel like giving me a pat on the back for all my hard work scanning every page

Old 12-09-2016, 02:31 PM
fserieshp
New User
I just rebuilt my 4R70W out of my daily driver with 185,000 on it. It took me about 2 weeks but I didn't go at it full time and I spent my time to go over things really well. There are loads of resources online about the 4R70W that were great help. I also picked up the ATSG manual which for $30 was well worth it. Since this was my daily driver and not anything I really do a heavy haul with I picked up one of these master rebuild kits from Global Transmission Parts
https://www.globaltransmissionparts....-rebuild-kits/.
A lot of the kits I saw online I wasn't sure about the quality of some of the parts. All the frictions and steels in these its are USA made in Indiana so that makes me feel better about what I'm riding around in. Another thing I really liked about their kits was the fact that they came with FULL bushing and washer kits. Most of the kits online I saw cost a little less but only came with the extension housing and pump washer and usually didn't have the quality parts. The bands are also made by Raybestos and are high energy.
Transmission Bench and Hiram Gutierrez on YouTube have great videos. Make sure you watch them a time or two before diving in. It makes things a lot easier. I ended up tearing it down and cleaning the parts up one weekend, then spent the next week researching what to do.

All in all it was a good experience and one that I think anyone can tackle. I've got an 06 that will probably need a rebuild sometime before next winter and I was thinking of putting a little bit more performance parts in her. I've been looking at this super master kit that comes with the Stage-1 red plates and Kolene coated steels.

https://www.globaltransmissionparts....formance-kits/

The coated steels are suppose to handle the heat more and I do a lot of towing in this truck so that might not be a bad idea even though it's still probably overkill but oh well right!

With the right parts and the knowledge on youtube and this board you'll be able to get it done!

Old 12-09-2016, 05:19 PM
bluecar5556
6th Gear
4R70W Ford Transmission Service Manual

Step 1: Download and install a bit torrent program. For windows, I like qbittorrent from qbittorrent.com but you can use any bit torrent you like.
Step 2: 4R70W OEM Service Manual is available at
https://kickass.cd/4r70w-ford-transm...t15994106.html or
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/159...Service_Manual.
Step 3: You should now see the title '4R70W Ford transmission factory service manual' on the website.
Step 4: Click the small magnet link.
Step 5: The bit torrent program will now download the pdf manual to your computer.
Don't forget to use the bookmarks to help you navigate the document.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:48 PM
ulyyoung
New User
I hate to revive a dead thread....

I hate to revive a dead thread, but if anyone still has this file can you please reopen the torrent and share so that I can get it?

I have found the torrent but nobody has it open/sharing... Thanks for anyone out there who can help!