new guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 01:08 PM
papa's 64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new guy

I got a 64 ford f100 from my grandfather before he past a few years ago. Well I'm gettign ready to do somework the old truck. One of the first things Iwant to do is get rid of the points distributor. Does anybody make an electronic distributor for this motor? also my grandfather always told me this truck had to much power and I'd get hurt in it. Wha kind of hp and torque can these motors get? I know my great uncle use to work on drang cars and put a little extra hp under the hood of all his cars. I also know he did some work to this old truck I'm just wondering what the possibilities for this old truck are.

P.s. I've never even started this truck it's in alabama right now and I'm in california. While on vacation last month i flushed the motor and made sure it turned over. It does I also went ahead and rebuilt the 2bbl. next month I'm going home again and plain on getting it running I'd like to do this with the new distributor any help would be appreciated.I looked at msd website for a distibutor for my 292. They say they sell them for y-blocks but the engines they list are 252 318 and the 352 are these y-blocks or FE motors?
<!-- / message -->

Old 02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They have the engine sizes wrong. The part# 8383 is the msd y block dissy
(call first to make sure). I am running one in my truck and it is great but you must adjust the timming curv to get any power out of it. Mallory has a good one as well. I also ran a mallory unilight conversion on the original ford dissy with very good luck.
If I were you I would make sure that your truck is a y block and I would also get it running first before you spend $ and find out something else is wrong with the engine.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:33 PM
papa's 64
Senior User
thanks im sure the motor will run. I remember when my grandfather parked it he did so because he got a new truck. but he would still crank it up and drive it every once in awhile Im also 99.99 % sure it's a 292. I can remember my great uncle talking abotu the motor. The truck has been in my family since it was new. It's with my father right now while I'm away in the Marine Corps he also knows alot about the truck and has told me that it's a 292. any other upgrades that i could do to this motor.

P.S. I will have it runnign next month when I go back home on leave.. I'm getting pretty pumped about finally getting started on the old blue truck as we call it back home.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:01 PM
MyDads64
Senior User
Congrats on your 64!!! I have restored my dad's 64 F100, and am using it as my daily driver now that I am retired, and don't drive much 'cept into town and back.

I replaced the points and condenser in my 292 with a Pertronix kit, including their coil, and it has not "bobbled" in the 2+ years since. Before, it would cut out or sputter every once in a while, especially if it got in a strain.

I haven't had much luck with rebuilding the carb, but have been real pleased with a rebuilt one I got from Mac's Antique Auto Parts.

You can see photos of my dad's 64 on my photo page.

I know you will appreciate yours, once you get it and start working on it and driving it, as I have mine. I can sometimes imagine dad is sitting there in the cab with me, as he did a time or two after he gave it to me when he quit driving.

Take care, and good luck.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:05 PM
papa's 64
Senior User
thanks love the truck

Old 02-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Papa's 64,

Thanks for your service to our country!

Enjoy the truck!

Walston

Old 02-25-2005, 05:37 AM
f700
Senior User
welcome

hi and welcome to land of y blocks 292 is a very strong motor i have one in f700 its been going great for 5 years good on fuel cheap to rebuild , good for part , you will love it goood lucky