1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

hunting for that rearend

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 10:09 PM
edwardldog
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.00 Hey Six7seta

Originally Posted by six7seta
yea, thats why i was really looking for a 3.00 or 3.25... and maybe keep a 4.11 or lower for the weekend racing.
I have a 300 R&P if ya still lookin. ...

My Chapter can beat yours
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=89

Old 02-02-2005, 06:04 AM
boilerbots
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51ford fan
I would like to hear more surrounding the diesel in your truck. I looked in your gallery but didn't see and pictures of it there. How much does it weigh, miles per gallon, any problems installing the engine, what kind of trans.
I think if you search for "Detroit Diesel" you will find one of my original threads.

I purchased a '56 F100 that a diesel marine mechanic had installed a 453 Detroit Diesel engine into. This is a 4 cylinder engine, 53 cubic inches per cylinder, 2-cycle. The engine has to have a super charger to run, had the option of also having a turbo charger (mine doesn't have that). It has 4 exhaust valves per cylinder and like most 2 cycles is ported around the bottom of the piston sleaves. This style engine is nick names the "Screaming Jimmy" it is able to wind up to fairly high RPMs for a diesel. It has an SAE bellhousing and is coupled with a 4 speed clark manual transmission. You can also get allison automatics that will mate with this engine. I don't know the millage yet because I haven't driven it. The steering box was out when I got it. My goal is to run it on vegtable oil.

The engine weighs somewhere between 1100 and 1400 pounds on it's own. That is a lot, more than any big block engine I could find specs for.

The original installer, whom I never met, has done all fuel lines, oil lines, water heater lines in stainless. All nuts and bolts are stainless, even the throttle linkage is stainless. The engine is supported by the cross brace under the radiator and has two side engine mounts the come down on top of the frame slightly infront of the firewall. The exhaust is all 4" stainless tubing that exits as a true diesel exhaust stack should, right behind the cab.

Now for the bad news. The person who did this conversion sold it to his neighbor who I purchased the truck from. This guy didn't have any respect for the truck and drove it into the ground. He used it as a work truck, driving it every day to tow a big wood chipper around. It has a custom rear bumper with a pintal hitch.

I purchased it from this guy after he received too manu DUIs in CA and decided he better leave before he got his third strike and was thrown in jail.

Too make a long story short, it needs some body work where there are a few dents. I installed an Aerostar IFS for the front. It is getting all new brakes. A new steering column to go along with the rack and pinion on the Aerostar. Because it is a diesel I am going with a hydroboost system. Unfortunately I had to make a custom oil pan. Change to a remote oil filter. Modify the starter to clear the upper A-arm mount and build a custom bracket for the power steering pump. You can't really order off the shelf parts for an old Detroit Diesel engine so it takes time to piece things together. As I said earlier, my goal is to run this on vegtable oil. I wanted a diesel that I could run on used cooking oil, but I also wanted something that I considered "cool". I wasn't too excited about the idea of crusing around in a VW or old Mercedes. When I found this I had to get it.

Here are some extra pictures that I took before I bought it.
http://home.comcast.net/~boilerbots/1956_F100.html

Last edited by boilerbots; 02-02-2005 at 06:08 AM.