Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

SVT Cobra dead!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 03:14 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SVT Cobra dead!!!

Well, the Mustang SVT Cobra is now officially dead, it’ll be replaced in 07 by the Shelby Mustang Cobra according to Motor Trend. The Shelby is supposed to be packing the same 5.4L DOHC v8 from the Ford GT including the supercharger. It’s supposed to weigh less than 3600 lbs and retain a live axle suspension instead of IRS. It’s also supposed to be sub 4 seconds to 60 and low 12s to high 11s in the quarter mile.

On more Shelby news, the GR-1 is basically following the same path as the GT, which means that it’s basically a go. They’re shooting for a production weight of 3450-3550 lbs. It’ll use a lot of GT components. The GT production run of 1500 is going to finish earlier than expected, so J. Mays says, “obviously makes a lot of sense when you think about it.” So it looks like it’ll be an 07 as well, costing around $110,000.

But, on some sad news, the Town Car is supposed to die the worst death of all--being turned into FWD. As if Ford didn’t learn enough from the whole “let’s turn the Mustang into a Probe” incident, they will surely destroy what is an icon. And just when they brought back the hood emblem, too. Jerks.

They are doing this as Chrysler has already gone back to RWD and Cadillac and Buick are going back as well. What a huge mistake.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Bruin52
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FoMoCo!?!?

I don't know to love them or hate them. The Cobra is Ford's top Mustang, that's been stated since they started it. So on that note, you know something's going to give if Mr. Shelby's coming back. I can also understand the live axle thing. When the Cobra was first equipped with the IRS, it hit the ground running, then started limping. Due mainly to the fact that the wimpy halfshafts coming out of the dif. was twising and snapping due to the h.p./torque and gripping rear wheels.

As for the Town Car, I feel your pain. They might as well just scrap the Continental. No need for two huge mustard seed type FWD things. I'll be sure to grab up a last year production of the Town Car before they ruin it. Thanks for the news.

Bruin52

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-27-2005 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Language
Old 01-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Fordtastic
Senior User
As far as the Towncar goes...atleast they are gonna offer AWD. And for the Shelby Mustang they state that it will replace the Cobra as the ultimate Ponycar. That doesn't mean that they won't bring another Cobra around. It just won't be as powerful/quick as the new Shelby. And on a side note, I'd also like too see a Mustang bridge the gap between the GT and Cobra. Maybe another Mach 1 or something of the like.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:37 PM
jjoel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the shelby mustang a sure thing? when i read motertrend i heard that they were thinking about coming out with one last "hurrah" for the mustang. i can't wait to see what the new stage 2 and stage 3 roush's look like and im also am hoping that ford will do something with the "mach 1" again especially with a real air intake!

Old 01-27-2005, 11:45 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Motor Trend said it's a go according to their March 2005 copy. It just came in my mailbox today.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:58 AM
Fordtastic
Senior User
hehe I got my issue a day before you.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:10 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
So...is anyone saying this is a bad idea from Ford....historically Shelby and Ford, when planning was well coordinated...the cars were good. Some were stinkers but most if done with thought were awesome. I am not just talking about street cars….

Old 01-28-2005, 07:49 AM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bruin52
IAs for the Town Car, I feel your pain. They might as well just scrap the Continental. No need for two huge mustard seed type FWD things. I'll be sure to grab up a last year production of the Town Car before they ruin it. Thanks for the news.

Bruin52

Continental has been out of production for a couple years now. I've been looking long and hard at buying a used one for a second family car, even though its front wheel drive it also has the 32V 4.6 with over 260HP, the only Ford car with more power was the Cobra.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:09 AM
DYERS6-71
Senior User
one thing is for SURE ford is going to price the cobra out of reach for most people....
funny they will keep project cars like the GT and the cobra mentioned above....
but it seems to make more biz sense to go in another direction....

Old 01-28-2005, 08:20 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
From reading the article Ford is attempting to go after Chevy's Z06 Vette- without IRS I doubt it will be able to touch the handling of that car. Also, the Z06 is in a completely different class. Its always been amazing to me that Ford could never make an IRS setup to withstand the power that the Cobra makes, since up till 03-04, it was nothing special in the power department. The Corvette has IRS, and doesn't have issues till you push it close to 600hp+. As far as the towncar is concerned, it sounds like the Ford 500 reskinned, which is a horrible idea. Ford needs to build an engine to compete with Caddy and Chrysler, and then build a luxury car around it- Lincoln is losing ground big time.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:14 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DYERS6-71
one thing is for SURE ford is going to price the cobra out of reach for most people....
funny they will keep project cars like the GT and the cobra mentioned above....
but it seems to make more biz sense to go in another direction....
I agree, with the new styling of the Mustang I think Ford has a real winner if they produce SVT Cobra. I don't think Shleby's name is worth another 10 to 20 grand over the price of the car itself. Don't get me wrong the old 427 cobra are legendary but today the automotive business is more "bottom line" oriented than it was in the 60's when it was more a horsepower war than anything else. I hope Ford doens't end up kicking themselves for this one.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fordtastic
hehe I got my issue a day before you.
I'm just happy that the post office didn't steal it this time.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Bruin52
Elder User
For a horsepower Lincoln, there's a company out in Long Beach that's putting a supercharger on the LS's, I almost bought one for my '00. That's putting the already 285 hp up to around 370. Not to bad for an almost perfectly balanced tuned sport suspension. I love mine stock, I'd wet myself everytime I hit the road if I had the supercharger. These things would take down a Cadi.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Fordtastic
Senior User
Pretty soon the LS will become front-wheel drive with optional All wheel drive with the Yamaha 4.4V-8 also found in the new XC-90. By the way I don't believe the 2000 LS made 285 Horsepower. That wasn't till later.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Fastronald
Elder User
Shelby

If it were not for Shelby..............there would never have been a "Cobra" anything in the first place.

The name matters not.............fast does!

Bring on the Shelby!

Quick Reply: SVT Cobra dead!!!