Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start Install Help...Dome Light Fade...etc..

Old 01-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Install Help...Dome Light Fade...etc..

Hi folks, last Friday my local shop installed a Valet 554 remote start-alarm in my 05 Ex. Seems to be a nice unit, with two way communication to the remote key fob.

But, I have a couple issues that I'd like sorted out.

First, after driving, and setting the alarm, the dome lights do not go out when using the new remote. My factory remotes would trigger the lights out right away. With these new remotes, the doors lock, but the dome light has to wait for the delay. This may take 10 seconds or so. The remote shows that a door is open (as it is sensing the light being on) but once the light goes out everything is fine. I'd just prefer to have the lights go out right away so I can be sure that I did not leave a door open. Is there a way to shut off this light "delay".

Also, if the vehicle is running on the remote start, and the engine is shut off via the remote...it sets the alarm off as the over head lights come on. If the alarm is disarmed first...then the engine shut down...everything is fine. A friend's '03 Diesel SD also does this, even if the remote start times out and shuts the enging down itself.

These are two issues that are easily worked around, but I'd rather have it another way. Any ideas?

Old 01-23-2005, 12:50 PM
JWK0721
Freshman User
Check Your Owners Manual If There Are Any Programming Options For Your Factory Keyless Entry System. If There Is A Dome Light Supervision Option Turn It Off. My 00 Ex Has Alarm/remote Start And My Lights Go Off Immediately. This Unit Was On The Vehicle When I Purchased It Used But My Past Gm Vehicle I Had To Change The Factory Settings On The Keyless Entry System. Check It Out And Let Me Know.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:31 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt- I have an '04 F-350 with a Viper 791XV and have the same problem, sort of. My problem is that the 25 second "illuminated entry" causes the alarm to bypass the door sensors until the dome light goes-out. I researched the problem and found out that the issue lies with installation departments. DEI recommends that the dome light wire on vehicles that have lengthy dome light supervisions not be used, but instead seperate diode isolated wires should be used for each door. These wires can be found at the VSM module above the transmission hump behind the radio or ran to each door. While my alarm does not trigger when the remote start shuts down, it does leave the vehicle vulnerable for the 25 seconds, and then what's the point of having an alarm. 25 seconds to a car thief is a lifetime. If you can get the alarm installer to take the time to do it right, both your problems will be solved. I hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys!

EnviroCon, the installer also thought that what you mentioned might wind up being the case. I was less than pleased with his initial response of pulling each door panel off, but if these wires are accessable from the dash, I think that would be a way to go. Did this "mod" get the lights to go out right away, or did it just allow the alarm to arm quicker?

It seems that the light coming on when the remote start is turned off, is what is causing the alarm to sound.

Thanks! I'll get everypone posted on how this comes out.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:02 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
The Domelight still comes on and goes off as it normally would. You're right about the light triggering the alarm, because the door trigger on the alarm is hooked-up to it. If the installer uses the other option (individual door wires) the alarm won't know that the light's on, and won't be triggered by it.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:06 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Oh, and I am not sure about the Valet model, but the 791XV has a built-in feature that automatically allows for domelight delays. I am not sure if it's a programmable feature or simply on or off.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
EnviroCon...I also noticed today that if it is in remote start and I unlock the doors, it also gives the three toot and flashing door icon on the remote. That is obviously because the alarm sees the dome light again. I will check with the installers today and let them know about the "other" place of getting the door wires.

Also, if when on the remote start, I turn the remote start off by pressing the remote buttons....it sets the alarm off. I guess this is also because the dome light domes on. (I know the light goes on.) This would also be fixed ( I assume) if the door triggers aer used as opposed to the dome light.

Is it fair to assume that if the door triggers are used, it would let me know that a door is left open by flashing the door icon or the bypass toots? Thanks!

Old 01-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for all the help guys...here's what happened.

The installed went to the spot behind the radio and tapped into the door triggers and back door trigger. Now, when the remote start shuts off the alarm does not sound. It also no longer gives me another toot when setting the alarm. The dome light fades out.

Good things are that if a door is left open, the horn will toot a second time when arming, and the remote shows the door icon. If the rear window is not shut, it shows the glass-hammer icon. So, no need to wait and make sure the light goes out.

Bad part. Lower center portion of the dash that holds the power pedal switch, cubby bin (that hold my brake unit) is now all scratched up from a rushing installer as well as the lower molding on the outside of the driver's door is cracked, I assume from contacting the wall in the install bay. Both are ordered from my dealer and come already in color. The alarm shop is paying for these parts. I guess it could be worse as those parts come off. But geez, what do all these type of install guys HAVE to be butchers? The folks at this shop know how I am with a car.

I am more and more believing that I have to learn to do all these things by myself. I took the dash out to install my airhorns, foglights, brake unit..all with no damage because I took my time and covered or taped things up.

Last edited by Matt M, PA; 01-24-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:35 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Glad to hear you got it fixed. On the bright side the shop is paying for the parts they damaged. I too had some issues with the way the shop installed my alarm, crimps instead of solder, behind the fuse box cover now looks like a spaghetti bowl, etc.

ON EDIT: before I forget. If you start having problems with the door switches the installer may have used the wrong amp diodes, may not have used a diode for each door wire, or may not have used diodes at all. Just food for thought.

Last edited by EnviroCon; 01-24-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Rev Den
Junior User
Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
Hi folks, last Friday my local shop installed a Valet 554 remote start-alarm in my 05 Ex. Seems to be a nice unit, with two way communication to the remote key fob.

But, I have a couple issues that I'd like sorted out.
I would say if you have ANY issues with a new alarm...go to the place that installed it and ask them WHY??

Just seems to make sense to me.

Rev

Sorry.....better?

Last edited by Rev Den; 01-24-2005 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Add Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:20 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rev Den
I would say if you have ANY issues with a new alarm...go to the place that installed it and ask them WHY??

Rev
Rev- I am a little confused about your post. Is this a response to a particular post in this thread? Did any of the posts offend you? Or are you just giving us advice?

Old 01-24-2005, 08:00 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster

Rev

Sorry.....better?
Rev- Thanks I understand now. But these boards are for that exact reason. If you think you might have gotten some misinformation from someone you can come on here and hopefully get a little clarification. For example: when I had my alarm/remote start installed in my vehicle, a diesel, I asked my installer why there was a need for a pulse timer relay. His response was that it was used to energize the glow plugs. This didn't make sense to me since I knew, from information that I learned on this site, that the glow plugs energized with the ignition. I have since learned that the installer was wrong. The relay is actually used to delay the remote start system from attempting to start the vehicle before the glow plugs have a chance to heat-up. This is because Fords like mine use a data bus cable for the instrument panel, so there is no usuable wait-to-start wire to tap into. In defense of my installer, whom I do think is very competent, even though I would have liked the install to be a little more tidy and the connections to be soldered, he can't possibly know everything there is to know about every vehicle. And Matt did take the vehicle back to the shop that installed it to allow them to fix it. But this time he did it with a little more information.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Rev Den
Junior User
Originally Posted by EnviroCon
But these boards are for that exact reason.
Sorry but never understood why, when you PAY for someone to work on your vehicle, you would leave the shop with questions or concerns.

If it does not work as it should.....don't leave.
If you have questions.....don't leave.
If they screwup the interior....don't leave without WRITTEN confirmation that they will repair it.

Glad he got it fixed...but a professional shop should know EXACTTLY what to do with each vehicle before they start work, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Rev

Old 01-24-2005, 08:32 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Sorry but never understood why, when you PAY for someone to work on your vehicle, you would leave the shop with questions or concerns.

If it does not work as it should.....don't leave.
If you have questions.....don't leave.
If they screwup the interior....don't leave without WRITTEN confirmation that they will repair it.

Glad he got it fixed...but a professional shop should know EXACTTLY what to do with each vehicle before they start work, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Rev
Wow that's harsh.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:53 PM
JWK0721
Freshman User
Rev Den, Shop's Don't Know Everything On A Vehicle Like You Would Hope They Did. I'm Sure You Don't Know Everything There Is To Know In Your Job. People Learn Something New Everyday And Hopefully You'll Learn That Nobody Is Perfect Including You.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start Install Help...Dome Light Fade...etc..