Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Anyone own Husky Compressor? Going to buy belt driven 26 gallon (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 01:45 PM
kpwall
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone own Husky Compressor? Going to buy belt driven 26 gallon (maybe)

I would appreciate hearing from anybody that actually owns a Husky air compressor or same make different label compressor.
I would really appreciate feedback. I have seen this same exact compresor mentioned in many posts but have never actually read somebody buying one and reporting back on it.
It has a solid cast iron twin cylinder pump that produces 5.8 scfm @ 90 PSI and the tank holds 26 gallons.
There are direct drive units that have a higher rating with larger tanks for less $ but it seems like this Husky belt driven one would be a better deal in the long run?
If I need to use an air-hog tool down the road can I improve this compressor by linking it up with a larger storage tank (possibly a propane tank).
The portability of this Husky one that is sold at Home Depot for $377 is at the top of what I can afford and I need to be able to move it sometimes to do construction projects. I am just hoping that I will be happy with it.
I was going to replace some struts last weekend that have a 25mm, 15/16ths recessed bolt that I would need to get a special tool to spin off while holding the end of the strut bolt from turning and I have heard that with an impact wrench you can just spin the nut off with a deep socket and an Impact wrench!
It is freezing here and I am tired of jury rigging tools and pipe cheaters to do what I think I could easily do with a good impact wrench.
Second note what do y'all think would be the cheapest brand of high torque impact wrench I could start off with that wouldn't be a total poc... I will be broke from just buying the compressor.
Thanks all

Old 01-21-2005, 01:55 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
i would say no i have used it you can get a better one for the same price which is way quieter and puts out 6.8 cfm at 90 psi and i think 9.4 at 40 thats the one i bought go to http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi and look for porter cable air compressor and you get free shipping and it is tax free i have owned it for almost 3 years now and it has been great some days it gets used non stop 7 hours from sandblasting or painting and it is made in the usa

Last edited by ford390gashog; 01-21-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:24 PM
reguy
Junior User
Thumbs up I bought one!

I bought one last year on clearance from HD. $150! It was a display model and the HD was renovating it's tool area at the time. Best $150 I'd ever spent!

I ocasionally use it for spray painting, spraying texture, running an impact wrench, cutoff wheel, and nail guns.

I've never had a problem. Just change the oil and drain the water every now and then and you'll be fine!

reguy

Old 01-22-2005, 12:09 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I have used one of them for about five years now with no complaints in my shop. I have it set up to 140 PSIG and it operates all of my tools including my I/R 231 impact wrench which I would suggest is the best one for the money. Hits hard and lasts a long time. The size of the air receiver is not important. It will allow you to use a given tool longer befor the compressor starts but then the compressor will run longer to pump the tank back up. You really gain nothing by using a larger tank.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:07 PM
crayzboost
New User
i have a the husky 60 gal belt drive my girlfriend bought me for christmas, i gotta say it sure is nice compaired to the campbell hausfeld 13 gallon oiless one i had, man that thing was loud, ill never go oiless again espically if you work in the same room as the compressor. go belt drive you'll like it much more. my other one would come on and sometimes scare me espically if i was concetrating on somthing under the car..

Old 01-23-2005, 03:20 PM
ViperFX4
Junior User
You guys do know that Cambell Hausfield makes the Husky compressors......

ViperFX4

Old 01-23-2005, 03:36 PM
crayzboost
New User
yeah i forgot to mention that.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:22 PM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Yup, its a Campbell Haysfeld. The heavier CH Walmart sometimes carries is the same as my Husky - but the price is about the same. In the first two months my regulator went out, and Home Depot didn't want anything to do with it...now, I have a larger vertical tank model, so I just remove the defective regulator and carry it 60 miles to the nearest authorized repair facility - which was a real dump with hundreds of compressors sitting around awaiting repair. They wouldn't swap out the bad regulator, even though I had all my paperwork. I'd have to haul the whole rig in (I didn't have a truck then). So I ask him to make sure he has that regulator in stock...very grumbling looks it up in his computer...Nope, he'd have to order it, but not until after I brought the compressor in...no idea how long it would take to get the part. I pictured my new compressor sitting on the floor with all those other hapless guys. I just stopped at Harbor Freight on the way home and bought a new regulator for $10.00. Another couple of months go by and my auto pressure cut - of- switch quits working. Now, this doesn't look like any $10.00 part, so I messed around with it myself, and got it working , althhough it now cuts off at 120 psi, instead of 135 where it used to. I wish I would have bouth the Sears two stage 110 volt model that went on sale for about the same price as I paid for mine. Mine has worked just fine now for the last year and a half since the pressure switch incident.
'here's hoping you have better luck than me!!

Old 01-24-2005, 07:01 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
and of course you can parts buy direct from Cambell Hausfeld, chpower.com

Sam

Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Bikeitswift
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil

Sam
It would be niice if they accepted their defective parts and replaced them under warranty, but instead you have to deal with their "authorized service centers"...I wonder if they have any field reps that check those place sout...I seriously doubt it. Ingersoll Rand, Quincy, Puma...etc. All a lot more money...all a lot more compressor.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:50 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeitswift
It would be niice if they accepted their defective parts and replaced them under warranty, but instead you have to deal with their "authorized service centers"...I wonder if they have any field reps that check those place sout...I seriously doubt it. Ingersoll Rand, Quincy, Puma...etc. All a lot more money...all a lot more compressor.
Yeh, but that is sort of the problem we accept by buying thru these 'no support dealers' like Home Depot/Lowes/etc..

Sam

Old 01-24-2005, 12:08 PM
kpwall
Senior User
Thanks for all of your replies; it now looks like I will buy the next larger model, the 220 non "mobile" 60 gal type. It is only like $50.00 more and it has almost twice the CFM's. I think I will buy it from Lowes instead of Home Depot. Lowes said they would beat Home Depot's price by 10% and Home Depot said they wouldn't beat Lowe's price because even though it says on Home Depots brochure that Husky is made by CH and it has the exact same specs they said that they will not beat the price because it has a different label on it! What crock.
I figure I might as well get the one that says CH on it. I wish there was a portable compressor that ran off of 110 and put out 10.3 scfm @ 90 psi, and cost the same +/- $400.00
If you have any idea's let me know as I have to wait until next month to have enough cash to buy this.
After looking at the CFm requirements for tools it seems like I would be limited with the 5.8 SCFMs @ 90 of the smaller portable one.
Can the 220 requirement of the larger one be changed to 110? I have seen people talk about going the other way, also is it wired directly? At the models I looked at did not have cords on them.
Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:15 PM
DetailerDave
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the 80 gal, upright, 7 hp, 15 scfm. It stays powered up, and ready to go 24/7. It has not been turned off for the last 3 years +. I have not had any problems at all with it. I use it fairly frequently.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Ben Alston
Senior User
I have the one that you are talking about and it has already broke within 3 months when I bought it. The head gasket thing messed up. but other than that it takes a long time to fill up, its loud. I bought a new one from LOWES a CAMPBELL HAUSFELD IRON FORCE SERIES. 6.25 peak HP, 1.8 running HP, 28 gallons, 7.4/6.1 SCFM 40/90 psi, 150 max psi. This compresser fills up about 1.5-2 times faster and a whole lot quieter.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:47 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by sdetweil

Sam
Maybe for a short while you can buy parts from C-H. I deal with many compressor manufacturers and I am not impressed with C-H. They will probably stop selling parts for current models within 3 years and then where are you? I've seen people throw away 10 HP C-H compressors only because C-H does not have valve parts. And these comprerssors were only 5 Yrs. old.
As a homeowner you probably will not have to face such things.

Quick Reply: Anyone own Husky Compressor? Going to buy belt driven 26 gallon (maybe)