1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:59 AM
jps01Edge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric fan

I was wondering if anyone has installed and electric fan on there ranger, and if it is worth it or not. I have a 4.0 v6 and i was thinking of putting one on it. thanks for any advice.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:59 AM
LILBLUE04FX4L2
Junior User
I have not, but a few Ranger buddies I know have

They are satisfied with them
Not sure how much performence gain you would have with a 4.0 - the 3.0 engines seem to make better use of it as they struggle a bit
It might save you some gas if you do a lot of city driving - on the highway I think it would be minimal
The cooling system on the Rangers is actually pretty good and as long as you get an e-fan with enough flow you should have no problems

Old 02-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Rancha9
Elder User
I did electric fans on my 2000 2.5L XLT. I ran a dual fan set-up with a 10 and 12" fan. The 10" ran for the A/C and both ran when the thermostat kicked them on. Toal cost was about 200, but it freed up quite a bit of power, it was most noticeable passing on the interstate. You'd be amazed how much (on the 2.5 anyway) that the fan DOESN'T have to run. Just remember to wire up a relay for the A/C. I took the A/C signal off the back of the A/C control panel, the wire is listed in the Haynes manual. Overall it wasn't hard, took about 3 hours, just plan out your wiring beforehand. I have pics on my computer at home, when I get there tonight, I'll post them so you can get an idea...

Old 02-09-2005, 04:50 PM
jps01Edge
New User
thanks for the info guys, The pics would be great and help me out alot aswell. Also does anyone know what cfm my truck would be. I have a 2001 ranger with a 4.0 with the automatice transmission. Also what company would be best. thanks

Last edited by jps01Edge; 02-09-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Rancha9
Elder User
Sorry, took me awhile to find the shots, they were buried on an old CD from my old computer.

Here you can see the three relays I used, and how I ran the wiring. I got some of that crinkle tube stuff and wrapped it with electrical tape so it looked factory.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=68901&.jpg

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=68899&.jpg

Here are the 2 fans, don't remember the brand, but I got them at Advance, and they were pretty reasonably priced.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=68900&.jpg

The 4 banger fan attaches differently from the 6ers, but for any 4 banger guys that wanna do this, you have to get shorter water pump pulley bolts. I got some grade 8 stainless ones at the local hardware store.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=68898&.jpg

And that's pretty much it. I don't have my parts list or wiring plan anymore, but anybody with a decent knowledge in auto electrical should be ablr to help without too much of a problem. I also used my own little fuse panel attached to the driver side wheel well, near the battery, to provide the power for the system.

Looking back, I really didn't need 2 fans, just the one 12 inch would have been plenty, but I wanted to make sure. They guys with 6ers should probably use 2. I installed mine at the beginning of summer in southern GA, torture tested it the whole summer long and never had a problem. Only thing I overlooked was which ran I had to run for the A/C. I originally had the smaller fan (the 10 inch) running for the A/C, but because it was on the bottom, it was pulling air through the wrong part of the A/C condenser. A couple of wire swaps and everything was great. I can still help anybody that would like to do this, just PM or e-mail me and I'll give you as much info as I know.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-14-2005, 02:42 PM
jps01Edge
New User
Thanks for the info and the pics its helping out alot.