1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Diesel Fuel Thicken Below Freezing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 05:13 AM
danonbar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does Diesel Fuel Thicken Below Freezing?

I have a friend who is considering buying a diesel-engined 2005 F-250. He's going to be using it in Iowa, where the temps drop well below freezing (He mentioned -13 deg.) and he was concerned about the diesel fuel "gelling" (thickening) due to the sub-zero temp.

Is this something to be worried about? He is prepared to have the truck equipped with the block heater, battery blankets, etc. If this is a problem, what should he do?

I have an '04 F-250 PSD that I have parked at temps near zero (but not quite as cold as Iowa) and I had no problems. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:31 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
The paraffin in diesel fuel will form a precipitate as the temps drop below freezing. These wax particles are too big to go through the tiny holes in the fuel filters in most diesel trucks, thus obstructing fuel flow. Most modern diesel trucks therefore have a heater unit built into the filter unit to help prevent this, as well as recirculating excess fuel pressure from the engine back through the tank, to help warm the whole supply of fuel. That all helps, but isn't quite enough as the temps really start to drop.

Because of that very well-known phenomenon, diesel suppliers generally blend their fuel to work at the expected prevailing temperatures. Either with anti-gel additives, or #1 diesel (which has a lower gel point) or some combination. So as long as you buy your fuel from a high volume station with a reputable supplier and thetemperatures don't plummet far below the expected levels, he should be fine. The block heater and battery blankets and such will help the truck start easier and have cabin heat sooner, but aren't really necessary at -13 degrees F (and wouldn't help with fuel gelling in any event.) If he's really paranoid he can add any approved diesel anti-gel conditioner, such as Stanadyne or Power Service, to his fuel.

Duncan

Old 01-21-2005, 05:43 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Below 15 degrees F, wax crystals begin to form in diesel fuel. These will clog the fuel filter and stop the engine as the temperature drops toward 0 F. Any good "winter fuel conditioner" for diesel fuel will keep the fuel moving to at least -20 degrees. There are several of them out there. Diesel Kleen is available at Wal-Mart. I prefer Stanadyne products personally but thats just me, and there are several more readily available. Most refineries switch to a "winter blend" when the temp drops and say a fuel conditioner is not needed. I consider adding it a small price to pay for added insurance and defense against mother nature. Also, the Powerstroke's do have a fuel heater in the water separator to help combat this. There are several members on this site that live in far colder climates than Ohio and with proper precautions have no trouble whatsoever. The cold weather should be no reason your friend can't enjoy the years of bulletproof service that a diesel gives.
I'm sure others will agree when they respond.

Hope that helps,

Austin

Old 01-21-2005, 09:34 AM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Hey I am from Iowa.... Tell your freind not to worry. Just be smart. Most fuel is blended here during the winter. I (along with the rest of my family with diesel's) use an additive and plug in the block heater when it gets really cold. Just last week my truck sat for 3+ days in zero or below temps. I plugged it in the night before I wanted to drive and it started right off the next morning. There are a lot of diesel owners around the state. I don't think he will have much of an issue as long as he uses his head.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:55 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And we have some Alaska members reporting temps that are OBSCENELY cold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2005, 02:10 PM
bilter
Mountain Pass
An interesting side not. I live in Maine and last year my fathers heating oil jelled up in the filter. we took the filter out and put in a coffee can and put the can in the shed with the cover on. Anyway, I found the can that summer, opened it up and to my suprise the jell that formed in the cold never went back into liquid form. Apparently once jelled it stays jelled. Heating oil anyway.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:28 PM
tikka300
New User
There are many diesels running around Canada & Alaska without problems provided a person buys fuel at reputable dealers. For the past 3 weeks it's been -40F every night and provide the truck is plugged in it will start/run fine.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 PM
04 LARIAT STROKER
Senior User
hw much power do the 6.0 block heaters pull?...just wondering

Old 01-21-2005, 10:20 PM
PrarieOyster
Junior User
Went to work today, it was -5 degrees, the excavator, roller, backhoe and rubber tire excavator all gelled up. 1 excavator and the loader did not. none had block heaters. the point is If there is no water, sludge in the tank or fuel line, you religiously change fuel filters, and always use the proper diesel additive in cold weather the truck will start and run even without block heaters at -10. You dont always have the opportunity to plug in your truck everywhere you park. If you can keep up with your fuel, additives and filters properly, get the diesel.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:40 PM
bulrydr_1
Senior User
Being in the military and work around POL products (petroleoum, oils, lubricants), you guys hit the nail on the head. We use additives in our DF1 fuel (which is pretty much the same as the commercial #1 deisel), that will lower the gelling point to about -30 below. This same additive is also used in the JP-8 used for the jets. JP-8 is pretty much the same as deisel minus the pariffins and waxes. You can buy these additives at most auto parts stores. Most gas stations in those cold areas should already put those additives in there fuel during the winter or sell the DF2 or "winter fuel".

The only problem with block heaters is that they only heat the block and not the fuel tank. You can buy warming pads that adhere to the fuel tank to keep them warm. That's what we use for our emergency standby generators along with a block heater.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:28 AM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
If you have a good high volume fuel supplier, you should NOT have fuel problems. I personally get fuel at a cardlock(very high volume, 99% of the truck traffic here fuels there,) run no additives, and have had no problems whatsoever even well past -40.
Hell, I've even had my truck start on the glows alone at -29F twice this winter....

Old 01-22-2005, 06:58 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
a block heater is great. This will help keep the engine oil from getting too thick for startup. Also will give you cab heat much sooner. A battery heater is good if you are keeping the vehicle outside overnight (most nights) in the frigid cold.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:11 PM
trappertravis
New User
I live in Nothern Ontario Canada where the temp. can easily hit -30 and have yet to have a problem with gelling. I drive a 95 F250 7.3L power stroke.