Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3L PSD Dying durring warm-up

Old 01-20-2005, 10:22 AM
plb208
New User
plb208 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 7.3L PSD Dying durring warm-up

I have a 2000 7.3L PSD with 104400 miles, the motor starts and seems to run normally. When driving and the motor is about to reach normal operating temperature it will dye. If I am on the the accelerator its like it dyes for just a second and then runs fine. If I am idleing, in gear or not (automatic trans) it will dye completely. It starts right back up and runs fine. When you let the motor cool off enough the cycle starts all over again.
If anyone knows what my problem could be I would appericeate the help.....

Old 01-20-2005, 10:44 PM
powerglyd
Junior User
powerglyd is starting off with a positive reputation.
You might want to check the wiring harness underneath the valve covers. When engine starts to get warm, a bad connection may just come alive with heat.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:52 AM
Powerstroke2000
Senior User
Powerstroke2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It sounds like the CPS (cam position sensor) may be on its last legs! Thats how my '95 acted when my CPS was on its way out.

The location of the CPS is, it's attached to the front of the engine near the harmonic balancer, held on with a single 10 mm bolt. Most are on quite tight, so you should use a 6 point socket or wrench, and if you can, spray something on it to possibly lube it up the night before.

There is only one electrical connection to the CPS, so you just disconnect it, and once the bolt is out, wiggle it and it will pull straight out. When installing the new one, put a bit of oil on the O-ring on the CPS, and it should pop right into place...then put your 10 mm bolt back in and hook up the electrical connection and your done!

There have been a few guys who have had burnt electrical connections to their injectors, which are under the valve covers. Its always a good idea with your mileage to throw on a new set of valve cover gaskets as well, along with any burnt connections...if thats the case.

I've also seen a few IDM's go out lately (Injector Drive modules) but most often the truck won't start at all when this is the case.

Dale

Old 01-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Technitom
Senior User
Technitom is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree w/ powerstroke2000. a cps can get flakey before it goes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.