1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Parts Vendors, 48-60 Ford Trucks

Old 01-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Parts Vendors, 48-60 Ford Trucks

Guys and Gals,

Being respectful of the business that our FTE leader Ken is running, we should try to use MotorHaven or the parts vendors that support the FTE forums when possible. We all love this web site and want to keep it on a sound financial footing.

Recently, I posted a list of alternate parts vendor links on the forum in response to a newer member's question. I now realize that was probably not appropriate. Ken has set up the servers to discourage this activity, and I agree with the policy and can see that it is necessary.

That said, I've found some circumstances where I simply could not find the parts I needed from the vendors that are listed as FTE supporters. I'm sure each of us has run into this issue from time to time on these classic trucks.

I just added a list of links to alternate parts vendors on Earl's World (Alternate Parts Vendor Link). I did this so I (we) can direct folks to that list, instead of posting vendor links directly on the forum. In this way, we can provide additional resources to help with questions, and still meet FTE's business needs by encouraging folks to use parts vendors that are FTE supporters when possible.

I'm sure others have lists of alternate parts vendors, and I will gladly add them to the list on Earl's World. If someone already has a list of links in place, I'd be happy to use that list as a reference instead.

Truly sorry for the long post this time.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thank U for all the extra parts Links.. It has been had to find some parts I need for just the few from this site. But there has been a lot of great help from other members on this site.. Heck I just found Disk breaks for my truck..

Old 01-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George,

As always, you are one classy dude!

Old 01-20-2005, 06:51 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a good thing you posted this thread, Earl. First, I had no knowledge that Kenny had a business. Since FTE and people here have been very supportive and helpful in my truck project, I for one would do whatever to support this website and the businesses recommended by this site. I hope I haven't overstepped my boundrys in the past because of lack of knowledge. If so, I apologize. I'm learning as I go... eventually I'll be informed on all the various things going on here and who does what, etc. I'll check out the list of vendors.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Earl
Postmaster
No worries mate. I don't think you overstepped the bounds anywhere.

Ken Payne is the main man who runs FTE as a business - including all the forums. We like to support him if we can by buying parts from the vendors who run ads on FTE. Our Kenny is the 1948-1960 Truck Forum Moderator - they aren't the same person. Kenny is responsible for keeping those of us on the 48-60 Forum in line with the FTE rules set up by Ken Payne and the other folks who run FTE.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:00 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for setting me straight on that one also. By the way, I'm going to send you an email.
Ed

Old 01-21-2005, 11:51 AM
theGman
Posting Guru
I didn't know they weren't the same person; as we are all modifying stuff, I just thought Ken modded his name!

Old 01-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Madathlon
Heck I just found Disk breaks for my truck..
Madathlon, Glad you found them.

Thanks for the link path George.

Thanks for the Sponsors, I always check them first!

Walston

Old 01-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Shelstin
Mountain Pass
Awesome site on Earl!

Old 01-21-2005, 08:56 PM
jeffh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good call, George. I've got a humongous links page set up here that you're welcome to peruse. I've pointed folks there from time to time. Hmm, I need to check sometime and make sure the links are all up-to-date...

Old 01-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Great list Jeff. You've got a lot of ground covered!

Old 01-21-2005, 10:11 PM
jeffh
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks George. As mentioned in the page, a lot of the companies I haven't dealt with, but just ran across at one time or another. The crazy thing is realizing how many companies and individuals I don't have listed...

Old 01-22-2005, 11:31 AM
theGman
Posting Guru
Do any of these companies give decent discounts? From experience I find that most have fixed pricing. Just curious, Paul

PS: If you don't want to cause a problem by public listing of discounts, please PM me.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Paul,

I too, have found that most have fixed pricing. I have been able to get a discount from one or two vendors when I placed a big order.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:14 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
I have got a slight discount; recently I rec'd about 3% on a $1000+ order, and am thankful for it...but...

Having a specialized business myself, selling ceramic tile, I still like to get orders and often give, when necessary, 10%+ on a decent size order; for the record, there isn't a huge markup on tile, as in jewelry, electronics, etc. so it's not like we have a lot of room to bargain, but I still believe a half a loaf is better than none...so I have a hard time understanding why these vendors don't think this way. I guess they're not hungry enough.

Heck, most of the big expensive stuff I have ordered has been drop shipped from the manufacturer anyway; all they're doing is taking an order over the phone and passing it on with minimum "handling" involved. It's not like you're paying for someones large inventory & overhead. I can see the problem with oddball parts.

I would imagine they have to sign price protection from the manufacturers in order to keep their lines. Many companies do that even if it is illegal, at least in many industries. Discounts were discussed about 6+ years ago, and we almost got something going, tied in with group membership or something; I forget the details.

I can sympathize with the dealers; in this day of the internet, if someone announced a 10% discount to members of "club x", within days everyone would join that club for the discount, watering down the whole business. It would have to be on an individual basis, or at least covertly done. Heck, you guys might be all getting discounts now, and I'm out here all alone paying full price!

Someone unknown is doing we know not what!!!
Sorry for rambling, but it's a cold, windy, snowy afternoon, our first of the season here in my part of Virginia.
Paul