1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is Pensoil a powerstroke "approved" oil??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Is Pensoil a powerstroke "approved" oil??

Just wondering because, against my suggestion, my buddy just put pensoil 15w-40 it in his 95 350 PSD... I was wondering if the stuff is powerstroke aproved (meaning it wont foam in the high pressure oil system) thanks

-Robb

Old 01-17-2005, 02:06 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to pennzoil's website it is compiant to API CI-4. So it should be fine.
Mike

Old 01-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mjwhip2
According to pennzoil's website it is compiant to API CI-4. So it should be fine.
Mike
Thanks mike, appreciate it....

-Robb

Old 01-17-2005, 05:08 PM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
No, penzoil is crap. Ever had a motor apart that has run the stuff??

Old 01-17-2005, 05:41 PM
semperfipsd
Junior User
I agree with 77hiboyboy! A couple of years ago didn't think there was anything wrong with "P"oil until I saw severl low milage motors (less the 30k) that had what appreared to be choclate pudding!

Old 01-17-2005, 07:44 PM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
Pennzoil is fine. I have heard of this BS before about it being no good, its simply not true. The inside of my engine was coverd in about 1/4 of an inch in sludge and grime before I rebuilt it, I know that it is not because of inferior oil, but because of poor maintence and abuse. Pennzoil is SL and CI-4 approved, it is good as any oil. Brand choice is not that important, mantinece is important. You have no evidence that pennzoil has caused you motor to be dirty, if it was as bad as you say, it would not be apprived by thee American Petroleum Insitute now would it? Try to use some logic when determining the condition of an engine instead of finding a scapegoat for your problem, its not pennzoils fault your motor was dirty, it is the owners fault (or the previous owners).

Old 01-17-2005, 07:58 PM
The Grinch
Senior User
Penzoil is a parafin wax based oil. The buildup inside the motor is the parafin wax. Avoid Penzoil, and Quaker State for the same reason.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Turbo_Whistler
Senior User
Penzoil is no good. My buddy make the mistake of runnin it in his 71 stang, his dad found out and made him change it right away and also take off the valve covers to show all the crap build up it caused.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:53 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
You know what I find funny, people will talk bad about Pennzoil but when asked what the best brand is, a lot will suggest Shell Rotella. Shell acquired Pennzoil/Quaker State in October 2002 and now pretty much all that oil is the same stuff in different packages. (From what I can tell in about 10 minutes of research.)
Mike

Old 01-17-2005, 10:56 PM
NightBiker
Junior User
FERacing, this is not entirely true. While it is true that Maintenance plays a MAJOR role, not all oils are the same -far from it.
I used to work for an oil distributorship, Kendall was our main product line, but we sold a LOT of Quakerstate and often had lab-comparrisons between the major motor oils (including Penzoil) and I'd have to agree with the Grinch on the evaluation. I was not very impressed with Castrol, either, but it did tend to fare better than those other two.
In my motorcycle I ran Kendall, ONLY. Of the 'natural' oils, it ranks among the very best. Synthetics narrow the gap between all of them. Personally, I never ran synths, because I could never afford to do them. But Kendals was among the better ones because it started with better base stock -evaluated at the molecular level.
For my PSD, however, I always use Rotella. Wouldn't touch Penzoil if it was given to me free of charge, same goes for Quakerstate. But again, if you abuse the maintenance, you will pay for it in the end. Sludge is sludge, and a lot of that is carbon build-up which settles (to a point) and lets face it, if its in the pan, it can end up in the uptake tube (grin)

Old 01-18-2005, 12:01 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
The question is, is it aproved. I'm not sure, I don't think it is. AmsOil is not either but many people use it.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:07 AM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FERacing66
Pennzoil is fine. I have heard of this BS before about it being no good, its simply not true. The inside of my engine was coverd in about 1/4 of an inch in sludge and grime before I rebuilt it, I know that it is not because of inferior oil, but because of poor maintence and abuse. Pennzoil is SL and CI-4 approved, it is good as any oil. Brand choice is not that important, mantinece is important. You have no evidence that pennzoil has caused you motor to be dirty, if it was as bad as you say, it would not be apprived by thee American Petroleum Insitute now would it? Try to use some logic when determining the condition of an engine instead of finding a scapegoat for your problem, its not pennzoils fault your motor was dirty, it is the owners fault (or the previous owners).
hmm, grandmothers lincoln, oil changed every 2800 miles with that crap, in a non-working enviroment just for example. It was the oil, and I will put money on it to anyone. In gas motors I only run texaco/havoline or kendall(old kendall that is, not sure if it is any good any more) Don't lay your crap on me when you have no clue on what you are talking about. Why don't you go build two motors, identical, run p-oil, and another good oil of choice, and run them for 100-1000-5000 hours and see what you come up with.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:09 AM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mech2161
The question is, is it aproved. I'm not sure, I don't think it is. AmsOil is not either but many people use it.
I don't reccomend amsoil, or shell rotella either. I have been around some pretty catastrophic failures involving amsoil, but it can't be *proven* even though it is obvious.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:12 AM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by NightBiker
FERacing, this is not entirely true. While it is true that Maintenance plays a MAJOR role, not all oils are the same -far from it.
I used to work for an oil distributorship, Kendall was our main product line, but we sold a LOT of Quakerstate and often had lab-comparrisons between the major motor oils (including Penzoil) and I'd have to agree with the Grinch on the evaluation. I was not very impressed with Castrol, either, but it did tend to fare better than those other two.
In my motorcycle I ran Kendall, ONLY. Of the 'natural' oils, it ranks among the very best. Synthetics narrow the gap between all of them. Personally, I never ran synths, because I could never afford to do them. But Kendals was among the better ones because it started with better base stock -evaluated at the molecular level.
For my PSD, however, I always use Rotella. Wouldn't touch Penzoil if it was given to me free of charge, same goes for Quakerstate. But again, if you abuse the maintenance, you will pay for it in the end. Sludge is sludge, and a lot of that is carbon build-up which settles (to a point) and lets face it, if its in the pan, it can end up in the uptake tube (grin)
You have any idea about Kendalls quality since they were bought out. The oil isn't green anymore, we run it in our pulling tractors, is it just a color difference??

Old 01-18-2005, 06:33 AM
NightBiker
Junior User
No, I haven't worked for them since late '97, so I never kept up. I HOPE they didn't change their base stock, after all, their quality WAS their reputation. They were actually the first oil that guaranteed 2000 miles between changes (in fact, thats why their symbol is 'two fingers' in the "Ok" or "victory" sign)
But to answer you, I really don't know. Still put the stuff in my bike -the stuff I use is golden in color, not the heavier-duty (SuperD) and the color hadn't changed.
I'm curious about yoru Rotella comment, however. When I long-hauled, its literally ALL we used, and these rigs were rather on the expensive side (especially the engines) and we ran them like you would expect (long hours, -my tractor rarely ever shut off) and they were all high-mileage (as you would expect in that business). It certainly wasn't the cheapest stuff to dump into the engine, and I always considdered it a good oil.
What do you know about Shell Rotella? I don't want to dump anything into my engine if its not good for it (unlike when I worked for the company, I pay for my own repairs now (grin)). What do you run in your diesel?

Quick Reply: Is Pensoil a powerstroke "approved" oil??