6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

After mods, big change in delta??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
vatreefarmer
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
After mods, big change in delta??

Just picked my truck up today after having some of the bulletproof mods done. (ARP studs, Ford head gasket, Sinister egr delete kit, Sinister "updated" oil cooler, 4"exhaust, Blue Spring) Before the mods, my EOT vs ECT delta stayed within 3-5 degrees of each other. Today, I noticed a significant change. Running down the highway my ECT stayed between 188-192 while the EOT ranged from 202-205 with an average 12* delta. I don't know what to make of this. I've read here that the preferred delta is 10* or less. Are these unacceptable numbers? It's a brand new oil coiler for goodness sake. Please advise and Thanks

Old 11-11-2013, 03:03 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
What kind of "upgraded" oil cooler did they sell you? Is it OEM or aftermarket? With a 3-5 degree delta I'd never have spent that money to start with. They don't hardly come from the factory that good--LOL. 15* delta as performed by "the test" indicates a need to change.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Isn't hat the oil cooler with bigger internal passages? Yeah, you'll see a bigger spread using that cooler and basically the 15 degree reference that is often cited is thrown out the window with that cooler.

Josh

Old 11-11-2013, 03:08 PM
vatreefarmer
Tuned
Complete 6.0 Ford Powerstroke Solution with Sinister EGR Delete Kit, Oil Cooler and ARP Headstuds
MKM refers to it as the "updated oil cooler kit with screen".

lol NOW you tell me that there's no need to bulletproof with good deltas..... ($5k later, ouch!)

Old 11-11-2013, 03:11 PM
vatreefarmer
Tuned
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Isn't hat the oil cooler with bigger internal passages? Yeah, you'll see a bigger spread using that cooler and basically the 15 degree reference that is often cited is thrown out the window with that cooler.

Josh
I hope this is the case. The truck runs like a scalded ape

Old 11-11-2013, 03:14 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by vatreefarmer
I hope this is the case. The truck runs like a scalded ape
It really doesn't matter with your EGR cooler deleted anyway......

Old 11-11-2013, 03:15 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
I would expect that with the IPR HD cooler, but isn't Sinister's just a Ford cooler? The IPR cooler is not recommended for heavy towing because it's heat exchange is not as good as the factory cooler. You can only do so much in that small space, so if you have larger/stronger passages, you'll have less heat transfer.

But unless Sinister is re-marketing the IPR unit, you'd have to have picked up debris in the new cooler if it's just the upgraded Ford unit but sold through Sinister...

Old 11-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
It really doesn't matter with your EGR cooler deleted anyway......
Exactly... Just how close to 253 EOT pulling heavy is the real significant issue.

Josh

Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
I just looked at Sinister's site and it looks like the factory updated cooler is all they offer (one more cooling row and the updated SS pick up screen)

Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Complete 6.0 Ford Powerstroke Solution with Sinister EGR Delete Kit, Oil Cooler and ARP Headstuds

lol NOW you tell me that there's no need to bulletproof with good deltas..... ($5k later, ouch!)
Join the crowd. Back when I did my BP'ing there was lots of discussion about how to do the Ford "test" properly and iirc Josh was one of the few that said the Ford test (they had then) was both difficult to interpret and likely even more difficult to repeat. It was a bit late for me too, but I think Josh had a handle on it early on and really you need to do a steady cruise on flat ground fully up to temp and the delta shouldn't be more than 15 deg (or Josh did you say less or more last time this came up?)

Old 11-11-2013, 03:42 PM
vatreefarmer
Tuned
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
Exactly... Just how close to 253 EOT pulling heavy is the real significant issue.

Josh
So should I just set my SCT gauge alarm to 240* and call it all good?

Old 11-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Might check cold soak temps and connections on the temp sensors.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

This Kit Didn't come with FORD HeadGaskets

Guess you knew that

Id be getting to the Bottom of it though if you had that good of Spread then it Basicaly doubled from the work done

Did they flush cooling system Proir to Oil Cooler change??

Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Join the crowd. Back when I did my BP'ing there was lots of discussion about how to do the Ford "test" properly and iirc Josh was one of the few that said the Ford test (they had then) was both difficult to interpret and likely even more difficult to repeat. It was a bit late for me too, but I think Josh had a handle on it early on and really you need to do a steady cruise on flat ground fully up to temp and the delta shouldn't be more than 15 deg (or Josh did you say less or more last time this came up?)
I've been saying that for years and always had the Ford test thrown back in my face. How you can regulate a WOT was always beyond me.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:14 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 69cj
I've been saying that for years and always had the Ford test thrown back in my face. How you can regulate a WOT was always beyond me.
Friend, I TRIED and tried and tried. Up hills was the only way I could see doing it, ones that could handle freeway plus speeds, because that is what you'll end up doing in a healthy 6.0 (Like 80mph+...). I probably did 8 runs on different roads and I did see deltas go over 15, on a hot day.

About the only constant to my "testing" was the truck was always fully warmed up and bed empty.

oh well, my deltas are maybe a touch lower?! But most folks post lower ones than I get. At least now I have another row in the cooler and the updated pick-up screen...

alright, rant mode: off

Quick Reply: After mods, big change in delta??