Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

What should I look for in a remanufactured motor?

Old 01-03-2005, 12:30 AM
MineralStang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I look for in a remanufactured motor?

Hey everybody....I posted this as a reply to my other post, but I'm not sure if anyone saw it. If I decide to get a reman motor instead of rebuilding my existing motor, I need some help. I was looking on the net and found a motor that seems too good to be true. Its at www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com . They have a remanufactured 390 with a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty for $1270 plus a core charge of less then $200. That seems like a GREAT deal to me. Only issue is, I would need help getting the old motor out, adding the accessories to the new one and getting it back in. If anybody has any time...can you check out that site? What does it look like to you guys? Thank you for all of your help! Your advice means a lot.

Nate

Old 01-09-2005, 03:27 PM
krazdndenver
Senior User
I have an 86 5.0L EFI fresh rebuild. For $1200 You get the engine and installation. Contact me if you are interested. You can also reach me at 3037971769. Thanks Robert

Old 01-10-2005, 09:06 PM
mattri
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true.... There are a lot of good machine shops around that will do a complete rebuild for you. As far as removal and installation it really isn't that difficult. Just label everything and take your time. Mike G and a few others here are into the FE's and would offer a lot of good advice. A complete rebuild, done well for 1200 bucks just sounds a little fishy to me.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
krazdndenver
Senior User
Here is the story behind the engine. I built it while going to school at DADC I built the engine for the most part at the shop I work at. The heads were worked on at the school (me and the teach only) so it was very hands on. I replaced all the exhaust valve seats with new hard seat as they were sunk in and wasn't meating specs. The heads are were most of the time and money were spent. Yes this seems to be to good to be true but sume luck out on others misfourtunes. This engine was built for my project 72 F100, this is when I joined this site (thanks for the help and I know I have helped others), anyway my project went to crap and ended up in the scrap yard. A sad end to my first project but a lot of knowlage learned! So now my boss is shutting down the shop and I have an engine to get rid of as my new boss is not allowing any storage. That is why this is such a great deal. I will sale the engine for $500 as is. But my hope is to install it in a bad *** ride and let somebody enjoy it the way I would have.
Also I did do an engine swap for a guy that contacted me on this list, I haven't sean a post from him in some time, but he was happy and every thing went well, a little over time but it was an involved job. So if you would like to know any more please call me at 720-313-0585. Please for this post only. Also I have a FAT MAN KIT for 69-72. I need to get rid of this as well. Also I have only 2 months at this shop, if I am going to install it we need to get on it.
Thank You
Robert
krazdndenver@yahoo.com

Old 01-11-2005, 08:18 PM
mattri
Laughing Gas
Sorry if I was unclear, I certainly didn't mean to put your motor down krazd, I was referring to the internet find. I still think a 390 crate motor for 1270 is an advertisment for poor quality parts, cut corners and less than ideal workmanship. Just my opinion. Matt.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:09 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
My machine work and SOME parts alone, was $1600+ for my 390. I still had to build it myself. Checker auto wants $1600 for a reman + $300 core, that was last year. You gotta watch out for some of those remans.... bad stories I hear.

Old 02-05-2005, 01:07 AM
DCP
Senior User
Never buy a reman motor

Me and others that I know, have bought reman motors in the past. Just about all of them turned out to be junk. I now run a reman motor in my Ford 3/4 ton. The first reman motor I put in, lasted for about 1,500 miles before it bent a connecting rod. The Ford 302 came from Recom Remanufactored Engines from my local Autozone store. When I retured the motor to Autozone, Recon gave me the run-a-round for about a month before they sent me out a replacement. They told me that it was operator error is why their motor failed, but I broke in the motor to their specs. and drove the truck decent. Recon Remanufactored Engines also was telling me that I compermised my warranty because I put my own motor in my truck rather than taking it to the shop. The replacement Recon motor I have now, burns a quart of oil every 500 hundered miles, and it only has 30,000 miles on it. I drive my stuff easy and change my oil every 2,000 miles and still, Recon screwed me with another crappy motor. The only thing to do is, take your old motor and have it built by a good engine shop. If you buy a reman, throw your money in the toilet and flush, and then you'll know what buying a Reman motor is like. Stay away from Recon Remanufactored Engnies or Evergreen Reman motors unless you like being screwed in the butt.

Last edited by DCP; 02-05-2005 at 01:24 AM.