Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

76 Mustang II? anyone..?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 03:10 PM
76Forder
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 76 Mustang II? anyone..?

I know its a Truck site an all but im plaged by this question.....Has anyone seen or even heard of any 76 Mustang IIs here in Oklahoma?? some time in the near future i plan on bringing mine down from Idaho but ya know!!..... ive yet to see one in this area, ive seen just about all the 64.5s to 73 and from the new 80s body styles but not once have i seen a 76. are they just not popular down here?

Old 12-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, really, the Mustang II's wheren't all that popular of a car... atleast in the south Atleast I didn't think.

I know somebody that used to have one sitting in the back yard, but I believe they have since moved, and I'm not too sure what ever happened to it.

STan

Old 12-07-2004, 03:49 PM
76Forder
Senior User
well now any mustang sitting in a yard (unless its wrecked) is a total shame, but im kinda likeing the idea that i may be 1 of few if not the only one with a Mustang II around this area, OH did i mention it was a Ghia model?

Old 12-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
hehe... what's a Ghia??

Yes, it is a shame to hear of a Mustang sitting in a back yard rusting... but it's a Mustang II I guess what I mean is that I never really cared much for them. But to each his own.

STan

Old 12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
76Forder
Senior User
I guess im just partial to 76 (year i was born) the Ghia was the "better built" Mustang II, heaver more sturdy doors, better seals, kinda like the diff between a XL and an XLT, its got the wood grain trim, crushed "velvet" like seats....you know things that made it "special"

Old 12-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Jbarlow
New User
I had a '74 Mach I

Manual rack and pinion steering and manual brakes, were the changes I think. Maybe something with the engine too. Oh and some stickers and such.

I killed it eventually but it was a very tough car.

I guess I fondly remember them too, even though they aren't that desirable. They were a lot lighter than the '73's and with the 289 would go pretty good. But I am a truck person now.

Jay.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:15 PM
ranger240
Elder User
hey, I really like the mustang II's, you talk about a real powerhouse package!! I had a buddy who had a 77 hatch, dropped a 351 in it and did the cobra"CLONE" conversion. MAN WAS IT FAST!!!! anyhow I know of 2 II's here in moore. one is a real cobra the other is a clone. both are really nice, but the cobra is baaaad.

I know of a coupe on NW express way, near Piedmont that has been for sale for a very long time, I bet it could be had for a song.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:00 AM
1978fordtruckgirl
Senior User
Yes, it is a shame to let a Mustang sit in your yard. I've got a '65 coupe sitting in front of our garage peeking over the grass. When I get out from under this business that is going down the tubes, I am planning on trying to restore the whole thing myself. It should be much simpler than the truck, less pieces. I am going to start taking car related classes at Vo-tech in the near future to try and accomplish this task.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:46 AM
76Forder
Senior User
well the first mustang II that i had was a 72...or was it a 74...i dont remember it was a long time ago and i ended up wraping it around a telephone pole....but im older and wiser now and want to fix them up insted of wrecking them, i know it probly sounds dumb but after both the 76 truck and 76 mustang are done gettin fixed up i want them to be a matched set, same paint and interior colors

Old 12-11-2004, 01:13 PM
speederx
Freshman User
Mustang II

I have seen the Mustang II on the NW Expressway as well. It's before the turnpike on the south side of the road and looks to be complete but in terrible shape. I've never asked about it but the signs painted on the windshield says 2200. Good luck getting that for a song. A better place to look if you are intersted would be that car lot on 39th st / RTE 66. The one with all the muscle cars on the north side of the road. That guy has two and one is a white cobra. At least he had them the last time I looked over there.

Old 12-11-2004, 05:48 PM
ranger240
Elder User
yeah they are really proud of their cars over at Super Sports and Imports. I once tried to buy a reletively straight 71 Cougar from them, base model with a straight 6 and it was a rat's nest under the hood. he wanted like $7G for it. psshhhhtt puuuhhhleeeeezzz!

Old 12-11-2004, 09:51 PM
phillipSVT
Junior User
the guy who runs/opperates Power Surge Performance (in NY or somewhere on east coast) is bulding one. His power plant was an interesting choice. Instead of the normal 351 or 329, he chose a new Ford Lightning motor. with the SC, it looks huge in the motor bay. I will see if I can find the link to it. His truck is running 10.48 in the 1/4, so if he can make that much power with the L motor in his car, it should be one hot running sucker...

And I've never seen a Mustang II in person. You Might have to bring it down to a meet sometime.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:15 PM
phillipSVT
Junior User
Old 12-13-2004, 04:22 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
I've only seen one or two on the road since I've been here in O.K. They are getting very scarce as people look for them to get the suspension parts, myself included. Calling a lot of the local junk yards in the area a couple years ago didn't turn up any.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:02 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Several years back, there was a building maintenance guy at Mid-America Tower downtown (now Devon Energy Tower) that had a clean little MII. Reddish orange in color. He drove it daily and loved it. I was working for Devon at the time while I was in college.
My next door neighbor had a '78 king cobra, white with gold, when I was a kid. He had a cam installed or something and ended up crashing a valve. He had the motor swapped with a regular 302 and when I was in high school he had long since sold the MII and told me to come get the old king cobra 302. I gave him a gift certificate to a restaurant for his gesture. The torn down motor is in my dad's garage today.

Quick Reply: 76 Mustang II? anyone..?