Sponsored by: DP Tuner

LED tail/turn/stop lights - I give up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:42 PM
philn
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LED tail/turn/stop lights - I give up!

I had a utility bed mounted on the '02 F-250 and decided to change out the old dim lamps with new LED's. My next step is start drinking heavily cuz I am about to give up. I have two sets of turn/tail/stop lights on the truck. Two in the rear, and two on the headache rack. I can run the LED's on the rear with no problem and have no problems with the flasher. When I connect the headache lights I get the old fast flash that seems to be such a problem with LED's. After reading several posts I decided to change out the stock flasher with a heavy duty one. As soon as I plugged it in it blew the 20 amp fuse. I have also tried to put the resisters in line with the turn/stop circuit but it does no good. I am about to give up and auction off the oval headache lights unless someone has any ideas. Help! I don't think there's enough alcohol to soothe this headache! Thanks!

Old 01-13-2005, 07:03 PM
gseeders
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi! don't know if this would help but i would check all bulbs on the truck to see if any of them are grounding out. lol
gseeders

Old 01-13-2005, 07:14 PM
philn
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything works fine until I add more LED's or try to use the new heavy duty flasher. I can't find any shorts. Could be that the flasher is the wrong one for the truck. Got it at NAPA. ??? It's margarita time!

Old 01-13-2005, 10:11 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol i battle this last week

find a dealer that sells AL LIGHTTECH brand they make a "load box" to make the computer think that the proper load is there so they will work properly. i paid like $10 a piece for them. just need two, one on each side. i use that brand lights on my trucks and trailers and love them

Old 01-13-2005, 10:12 PM
91rex
New User
If you go back to NAPA, look through their Truck-Lite Catalog, and you see they have a retro-fit flasher for converting to LED lights. Will

Old 01-14-2005, 12:32 AM
sailors30
Junior User
We just had some LED warning lights installed our fire truck, and they would not flash using the old type flasher unit. A solid state type flasher unit was installed to get things flashing again. Was told that the LEDs pull so little amps that the old flashers need replaced when changing over from lamp type bulbs to the LEDs. Hope that helps.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:12 AM
vancouverpower
Elder User
Originally Posted by sailors30
We just had some LED warning lights installed our fire truck, and they would not flash using the old type flasher unit. A solid state type flasher unit was installed to get things flashing again. Was told that the LEDs pull so little amps that the old flashers need replaced when changing over from lamp type bulbs to the LEDs. Hope that helps.
Yep too little amps.

Old 03-19-2005, 07:58 AM
xhid
Freshman User
Just an update to an old thread. Truck Lite now makes a flasher relay for Ford trucks that works with leds. The part number is 97283. I disabled my lamp out mode in my relay, it works but flashes a little too slow. I'm going to try this Truck Lite relay. I'll let you know how it works!

Old 03-19-2005, 08:52 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
xhid-

thoose load boxes from AL LIGHTTECH will get the job done and get them to flash just like normal. without having to deal with the flasher unit. just have to unplug a light on each side plug the box into your truck light plug and you will have to put a trucklite tail on the other side since AL went to a sealed connector. ive got led's on the back of my 94.5, 97, and 00 and its just like it was before just much much brighter