1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:41 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by 99f350sd
Art How do you do that do that..
We're getting duplicate posts again? Yech!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
MeanMechanic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW....Your not going to believe what the problem was. Altho my right front Hub lock still needs to be fixed, I found all the noise was NOT from the front but from the back right wheel. Please keep in mind this truck was just safetied, the backing plate that holds the emergency brake was rotted out. I had tested the brake the day before this all started and BAM....it let go and kind of made a mess back there.

The dealer says he's going to come good for this and have a talk to the garage that did the safety, BUT we'll see how nice he is when he finds out that the plate sold here at the Ford dealer is ONLY in a kit and it's $500 for the kit. Does anyone know what this plate is worth and have a part# for it...just the plate....2004 F250 single wheel 5.4 l motor. Thanks.

I'm going to pull the hub lock this weekend and see what i can do with it. With all the info here, i'm pretty confident i'll have success with a fix. I'll post when i find out what's wrong with it and how I fixed the problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Tinkerbell
New User
Ha Fellers.
I have asked this question a few times now & still no answers !!@!!!!!!
I would like to know a seller of the Auto hubs in the states so I'm able to purchase from them.
I live in Australia & require both hubs.
Would like someones help.
Phil Bell.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Tinkerbell
New User
Ha Fellers.
I have asked this question a few times now & still no answers !!@!!!!!!
I would like to know a seller of the Auto hubs in the states so I'm able to purchase from them.
I live in Australia & require both hubs.
Would like someones help.
Phil Bell.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
You might be better off getting them at a local discount place.. They are heavy so shipping might kill you..They are about $150 or less now.. You could do ebay..

Dick

Old 03-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Tinkerbell
New User
Thank you Dick.
I understand that the weight will be something to look at, But at $150.00 each it will be still worth looking at from this end to have them shipped out. I can find out the weight of mine to get the prices.
I will try ebay as well. Once again thank you for your advice.
Kindest Regards
Phil Bell

Old 11-20-2010, 10:45 AM
smurf76
New User
problems again

ok i read the first 5 pages of this thread and wish i would have before i started this adventure....

i have an 01 f250 v10 with auto locks....they are ALWAYS in the lock position and have been for the past 150K with no problems! let me expalin I am a logger & snowplower and this truck is in 4wheel drive almost every day the autos are a great thing just flip the switch and hear the clunk and away we go!

so the front pumpkin seal went out and the grage put a new one in and said the driver auto was junk and need to be replaced. 300 from dealer their cost 225!!! the only junk yard that had one in a 3 hour drive wanted 125... so i installed it and upon locking them back in the passanger black piece and the o ring poped out!!!! seems the piece is worn out.... after messin with it for a while i got it back in to where it would turn the hub... i locked the hub and went to the woods only to spin in 2 wheel!! front axel turns and i hear the 4 wheel engage when the switch is turned... either the bad hub is leaking the vacum or something else?

thoughts?

chad

firewoodguy1@comcast.net

Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 PM
swissone
New User
hey Chad,

One thing you can try to see if it's a vacum leak, is to turn the ignition to the on position
so the accessories are on. Then turn the ESOF on and listen for the vacum pump. I've been told that if the vacum pump keeps coming on then its a leak
hope this helps

Old 12-03-2011, 08:53 AM
ShelJav
New User
have a 2001 F350 SD 4wd Crew Cab Dual Wheel, why do so many aftermarket hub sites specifically say "NOT for DRW use" ? What's the difference ?

Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I think they "fit" but the **** is so recessed in the wheel hub that you can't get to it.

Let's wait and see if anyone has any solid experience with DRW hubs though.

One way to see if they would fit is to check the part numbers for the stock locking hubs for both DRW and SRW.

Also, an email to Warn is returned within a day or two. Contact them through their website and see what they say (and report back here with it).

Warn Industries - Winches, Mounting Systems, Accessories, Hubs, Air Compressors, Flares, Lights, Body Amor

Old 04-03-2012, 03:44 PM
buttnuttn8
Senior User
2005 f250 harley edition 6.0 diesel

I read all of this and mine did the same type deal vent went to defrost mode. I replaced the vacuum pump and the switch 4wd worked good during the winter. Now spring time I hear a clank clank clank noise going down the road (like your on a rollar coaster) comming from the driver side. A buddy went offroading got stuck (stock truck) and i went in in only 2wd I had no 4wd i swittch hubs to auto switch 4wd light comes on dash but 4wd not working. I jump out click to lock no good. Im thinking my hubs are junk. Now i was told warn dosnt make a kit for my truck. Id drop this auto crap in a heart beat cap the vaccum line and make sure when i lock i got 4wd.

Does warn make a kit for the 2005 F250 super duty?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:02 PM
2004 Ford F-250 v-10
Junior User
Originally Posted by buttnuttn8
I read all of this and mine did the same type deal vent went to defrost mode. I replaced the vacuum pump and the switch 4wd worked good during the winter. Now spring time I hear a clank clank clank noise going down the road (like your on a rollar coaster) comming from the driver side. A buddy went offroading got stuck (stock truck) and i went in in only 2wd I had no 4wd i swittch hubs to auto switch 4wd light comes on dash but 4wd not working. I jump out click to lock no good. Im thinking my hubs are junk. Now i was told warn dosnt make a kit for my truck. Id drop this auto crap in a heart beat cap the vaccum line and make sure when i lock i got 4wd.

Does warn make a kit for the 2005 F250 super duty?
Physically take your hub off and get it to free wheel in auto, reinstall then lock them in before using the switch on the dash, my auto hasn't worked for 2 years, but lock does, I don't have a vacuum leak, don't know what the actual problem is (springs in the hub are bad is my guess), but manually locking in and the using ESOF has worked for me, sure beats buying WARN especially if you have to get out and lock them anyway?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
jfh0jfh
Freshman User
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
I have been using my autoloc hubs quite extensively with all of the snow in my neck of the woods. I haven't had any failure in attaining 4x4 in the 5300 miles I have on the truck so far. Is there something I should be aware of as far as counting on my 4x4 when needed? I thought that the combination auto/manual hubs were a good idea but sure don't want any surprises when I need good traction.
I just bought a 2012 w/ manual hubs. Initially I was amazed that Ford would offer something so primitive. But the point was made several times here how the ESOF switches fail, often when you need 4WD.

I would have preferred a system like my last several trucks - manual transfer case w/ auto hubs - but that's NA from Ford. And I didn't want an electronically-controlled transfer case.

Apparently the earlier Ford systems had problems but the new ones are better.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:04 AM
buttnuttn8
Senior User
welp found the problem

this is deft why my 4x4 isnt working.

Now I cant seem to find warn aftermarket hubs they stop at 04 mines an 05 So do i have to go to the stealership and pay $300 for each hub. I havnt even gotten to the otherside

Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buttnuttn8
this is deft why my 4x4 isnt working.

Now I cant seem to find warn aftermarket hubs they stop at 04 mines an 05 So do i have to go to the stealership and pay $300 for each hub. I havnt even gotten to the otherside
Wow, that would do it. You're stuck w/ the dealer for new hubs, no one makes an aftermarket hub for 2005 and up. For what it's worth, Warn makes these hubs for Ford so they are a good hub. They shouldn't be $300 per hub though, MSRP is $200 for the auto hubs and $175 for manuals. Check Tousley Ford at Tousley Ford Parts Depot I can't for the life of me find the hubs on their site but they'll have them and they'll be cheaper. Also, be sure to grease them every once in a while, it looks like your old ones hadn't been greased for a while. Be sure to ask if the new hubs come w/ the seals already on them, if not you'll have to order a couple seal kits as well.

Quick Reply: Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs