Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise when hauling uphill

Old 01-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Picnic
New User
Picnic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Strange noise when hauling uphill

I have a strange problem with my '02 F250 7.3L. When I am under load pulling up a hill, I can hear a fan noise kick in and about the same time a very loud metallic, piercing whine ensues... I notice a power fluctuation as well and I have to back the truck down to like 45 in order for it to go away... Could it be the auto tranny slipping? like the bands are too loose or something?

I love my truck but when can I stop sending it to the shop?

Old 01-11-2005, 04:07 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Under what temps does this happen? It could be fan clutch.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Picnic
New User
I am not sure about the temp, I do not have a readout... although the tranny temp does not appear to be far above normal... but it does appear to be related to the RPM's which are above 3000.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:15 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mech2161 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Engine and outside temp.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Picnic
New User
Ahhh.. outside temp was 60's-70's and engine temp was also just above normal operating temp... I will pay much closer attention next time for notes...

Old 01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
When the temps get high enough the fan clutch will lock to increase cooling. When this happens at high RPM's the belt may be slipping causing the noise, and you will notice a power drop. Without being there it only my 2c's.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:32 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Picnic
Ahhh.. outside temp was 60's-70's and engine temp was also just above normal operating temp... I will pay much closer attention next time for notes...
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.
Enjoy FTE

Old 01-11-2005, 05:50 PM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
blackf3504dr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could it be the fan clutch engages about the same time the turbo starts to build boost ? The fan will have a roar to it and the turbo will whine with a high pitch .

Old 01-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Picnic
New User
Oh, man... it is loud.. I mean really loud... I know the turbo sound and it is a completely different sound than that... the sound is extremely difficult to describe too.. that is what sucks... and I can only get it to repro while under load and cruisin up a hill... like I said, I can barely hear a fan come on and immediately the metallic sharp cringing aluminum sound starts grating... similar to loose belts only more metallic than that...

Old 01-11-2005, 06:40 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
ltfox is starting off with a positive reputation.
Your fan isn't rubbing or hitting somewhere is it?? Thats what it sounds like to me?
Could the fan clutch make that noise???

Old 01-11-2005, 07:40 PM
lancer
Elder User
lancer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would say its your clutch fan as well. Open the hood and try to wiggle the fan. Hold the blades and try to move it back and forth(rad to engine) The bearing may be on its way out. At high rpm it may start to viberate as the clutch locks up. I had the clutch sieze on an 89 F150 once. Anything over 2000 rpm it sounded like the fan was gonna fly off. I would deffanently look into it. P.S. Do this with the engine off!!

Last edited by lancer; 01-11-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Clemzeter
Senior User
Clemzeter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by lancer
P.S. Do this with the engine off!!
Good advice lancer! Don't think Panic wants to change his nickname to Stumpy.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:08 PM
hamster
Junior User
hamster is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with Lancer, wiggle the fan and see if it's loose at all. When I was looking at trucks to buy I ran across one that had a terrible howl and almost a grinding sound coming from under the hood, upon further investigation it turned out that the water pump was on it's way out, it had very noticable play in the fan.

Don

Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Kwikkordead
Post Fiend
Kwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputationKwikkordead has a superb reputation
Yeah, fan clutch and possibly weak belt tensioner allowing the belt to slip.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
fordf350crazy
Senior User
fordf350crazy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem. Was this problem ever resolved?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange noise when hauling uphill

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.