Good Reasons Not To Use SA Oils Like AutoZOne "Value-Craft" Oil

Read here. Great pics too.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic....cfm?x=b11,0,w

Old 01-12-2005, 09:51 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A good case for caveat emptor!

I can't imagine buying an SA oil to put in my truck.
But, on the other hand, the are many wives, moms, kids, grandparents, etc. who would not even know to be concerned about such.

I do have mixed emotions. What is the answer?
Ban the sale? Can't really do that.
Educate the public? Worth a little time and energy.

But, in the final analysis, I believe most folks could be well served by reading their owner's manual and following it.
I'd think it's not likely that adding a quart of SA as make-up between changes would cause problems.
But a steady diet? Looks like that could get real ugly.

The bad part is, the less informed, probably less $$ well off, are the ones most likely to ignoratly use SA oil.
They are also the ones most likely to NOT be able to afford to absorb the costs such a practice might bring on.
Pinch pennies on the oil and trash an engine in the process.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:32 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is one of those issues where people will buy whatever is cheap even if it is not good for their application. SA is rock bottom no additives, essentially pure minimally processed oil. It has not been recommended since before I started tinkering with cars. I think nothing has really used it since the mid 60s at least.

SA oil has not durability as the article points out. I wouldn't even use it as make up oil since it will oxidize even though the rest of your oil will probably still work.

I think the general recommendation for SA is an engine under light load, no dirt, low heat and short duty cycle with frequent changes.

I guess you could use it in a lawn mower to mow a 20x10 yard, but I don't think even mowers recommend it anymore.

I can't see any good use to it other than as cheap oil for squeeky hinges etc, and even then why bother?

Always use the API/SAE spec oil recommended in your manual. And SA IS NEVER recommended in your manual(unless you drive maybe a 1938 Lawnboy)

BTW I still have a nice can of Raylube in my garage. Only 10cents when purchased in the mid 70s.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 01-12-2005, 11:13 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
The only applications I know that still specify non-detergent oils are air compressors and a break in oil for airplanes. I have a bottle of SAE 30 Coastal SA for the old Craftsman air compressor. I change it every few months. Straight mineral SAE 50 (Aeroshell and others) are recommended for overhauled aircraft engines because of the chromed cylinders so that the rings seat quickly (first 25 hours).

Jim

Old 01-12-2005, 11:23 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only problem. A lot of places that sell the SA/SB oil do not price it cheaply. In many cases, one can shop around and get a decent modern oil cheaper.

Might be good if the label said "Antique Automobile Oil."

Old 01-12-2005, 11:42 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
I think the biggest reason it is still sold is *profit margin* for the retailer. Where I've seen it sold, the price is even higher than a quart of budget SL rated oil or national brand oil from an auto parts store or discount department store. I don't imagine the retailer pays very much for SA rated oil. The plastic container is probably the most significant part of the wholesale cost!

Yeah, I remember Raylube! When I was a teenager I used it for bar oil in my chainsaws. Once I borrowed my dad's truck and decided to return the favor by changing the oil. I had a whole case of Raylube, so that's what I used! (For you younger guys, back then a case was 24 quart cans.) Next day dad says something's wrong with his truck and wants to know how it was running when I borrowed it. Apparently the lifters were rapp'in and tapp'in real bad! I told him it ran fine, and I even changed the oil for him. He wants to know what kind of oil and ask's to see the can.

Thus began my education on oil quality and API ratings. Together we changed to oil again and added the then current API oil rated SE. The lifter's in dad's truck were silent after that.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:44 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Egad. 20% of the market? No wonder we hear about people's strange engine problems on here so often!

Clearly something has to be done, and I applaud the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers for their efforts. I certainly wouldn't want to unknowingly buy a vehicle run with an SA oil.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The oil that I have seen at AZ is clearly marked:

"Not for cars made after 1980".

So some people are going to have to take responsibility for their own stupidity.

And yes, it is $0.79/qt., which is more expensive than some brand names when on sale (I have several cases of Formula Shell SL that I bought for $0.59/qt.).

Old 01-12-2005, 01:19 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
1980 seems a bit optomistic. I guess they think anything prior to 1980 are just a bunch of old clunker's, LOL!

1964 was the first year domestic automobiles were sold with emissions controls (PCV). In 1964 API SC oil was the first oil rating given out to meet compliance with the auto manufacturer's specifications. API SC was the first detergent grade oil and was required to meet new car warranty requirement.

API SA/CA and SB/CB were rated retroactivly. SA/CA is straight mineral oil. SB/CB has corrosion inhibitor's added. SB would be the better choice for an air compressor or something like that.

Believe it or not, at some of the antique tractor site's I visit, the big debate is not syn vs dino... it's detergent vs nondetergent!

Old 01-12-2005, 02:56 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by horsepuller
Believe it or not, at some of the antique tractor site's I visit, the big debate is not syn vs dino... it's detergent vs nondetergent!
They'd probably go nuts if they heard I'm using diesel rated oil in a gas engine!

Old 01-13-2005, 09:45 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
SB would be better for my air compressor. Where have you seen it?

Jim

Old 01-13-2005, 12:27 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Jim, NAPA carries a 30w SB rated oil. It's their house brand, which is made by Ashland Oil (Valvoline). Phillips also has an SB oil in their product listing.

FWIW, if your compressor is good sized and gets used a lot I would suggest an oil blended for that purpose. Quality industrial lubricant's will have anti-foam additives and demulsifier's added along with a whole additive package designed for that purpose.

I've seen Mobil air compressor oil in gallon jugs in some of the tool catalogs like Granger.

If your compressor is a small one like I have, which only gets used every once in a great while to air up a tire or whatever, I'm sure SB will be fine. It's probably what I will use when my little compressor needs to be topped off. I really don't need another gallon jug of oil stored in the garage that will last me the rest of my life!

Scott

Old 01-13-2005, 01:11 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
i just couldn't see myself ever using sa oil to save a few cents i always look for the api certification

Old 01-13-2005, 08:47 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
They'd probably go nuts if they heard I'm using diesel rated oil in a gas engine!
Believe me, I've seen the reaction first hand when I commented to an old timer in the local cafe that I was using 10-30 in a WD-45 Allischalmers.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:00 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excuse the stupidity that is to follow, but what is SA oil? JW since I do all my own work on my truck and sometimes don't have the dough to pay for the go. I run castrol syntec blend so I doubt that is what is in question, but just want to increase my knowledge.

Quick Reply: Good Reasons Not To Use SA Oils Like AutoZOne "Value-Craft" Oil