1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Anyone Own A Quadravan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:38 PM
maverick man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Own A Quadravan?

i was just scrolling through ebay and found a quadravan for sale. i got curious about how many people have one of these? i used to know a guy with a 79 E150 4x4. were these manufactured by ford or were they an aftermarket conversion? how long were they produced and how did they hold up? anyone want to add anything about one of these??????

Old 01-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Qvan666
Tuned
Received 265 Likes on 140 Posts
I am on 1978 Quadravan on a E250 #2. This is the third 4x4 van I have owned. The first was a E300, I have no idea who did the convesion. It would go anywhere.

The second and present was/is a E250 Quadravan.

To say I like this van is an understatement. The first was just a cargo van, but I sold it before I did anything to it. The present one is set up with 3 captains chairs. I trashed the one next to the door so I would have more cargo room. It also has a Couch/bed in the rear and a propane catalytic heater mounted in it right behind the drivers seat. When out in the snow/cold it is a lot handier than starting the van and wasting gas.

I have put Carr super hoops on it, an Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, timing gear set, headers and just finished putting a flowmaster 70 series on it for the exhaust.

It is big and heavy. The gas milage sucks. If you get more than 10-11 mpg, you are lucky. It will also go places that leave other 4x4'rs with their mouths hanging open. They just aren't used to seeing something that big out on the trails. The big thing you have to watch for is turns. Switchbacks will kill you. Something that long doesn't turn on a dime.

Finding aftermarket parts are next to impossible. I have been looking for bumpers forever. I will have to break down and have some made I imagine.

The next few steps are the bumpers, a Warn winch that I can move from front to back, and a Wilderness rack for the top.

The vans were manufactured by a company called Pathfinder (now defunct). There is a guy in Salt Lake City that has a good supply of parts for these vans. You would pick out your van, and from the Ford factory it would go to Pathfinder for conversion. After that it would be shipped to your dealer and then it was yours.

I can't tell you how long Pathfinder was in business, but it was awhile. They also did Dodge and Chevy vans. I think the Ford was their best product.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by Qvan666:
Old 01-10-2005, 03:02 AM
maverick man
Senior User
that sounds pretty cool. i figured they were pretty much unstoppable off the road. i wonder if you could have something like that made today? you can buy an all wheel drive but it's not the same..

Old 01-10-2005, 04:00 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quigley still makes them. www.quigley4x4.com

Old 01-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is also www.quadvan.com but you can order a Quigley van converted right thru Ford dealer.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:18 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Qvan666
Finding aftermarket parts are next to impossible. I have been looking for bumpers forever. I will have to break down and have some made I imagine.

The next few steps are the bumpers, a Warn winch that I can move from front to back, and a Wilderness rack for the top.

I can't tell you how long Pathfinder was in business, but it was awhile. They also did Dodge and Chevy vans. I think the Ford was their best product.

bob
Quigley or Sportsmoble, check them for bumpers, I've seen them, so I know someone makes them. It's hard to find van parts, but not impossible, there are alot of E-series cab&chassis (class C) motorhomes around, and lots of accessory parts, you just have to know where to look.

Pathfinder went out of business as a manufacturer in 1991 or so, but someone bought the excess parts, and is selling them, so go to their website, you may be surprised. There's a California company too that does all custom work, but has parts, I talked to them. Warn has bumper/winch combo's I believe, Ken

Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 PM
SuperDutyKing
Junior User
Anyone have anything new on these? I think maybe I want one!

Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 PM
notnomis
New User
I have a 78 Quadravan. My E250 uses coil springs, so lifting it will be an exercise in engineering and faith. This thread references a guy in Utah selling parts for these vans. His site is pathfinder-vans.com and he is good to work with. I just hope he comes up with a lift for my van soon.

I love the van because it is unique. No one has them! I drove mine to the beach past the "4x4 ONLY" sign and got some real looks.

The 460 has power to spare but it drinks gas like it is still only $1/gal. Big tires and a light foot help some, but don't buy one as a daily driver unless you own part of OPEC.

I like browing my local Pick-n-Pull for bumpers and other goodies. Found a great rear bumper on an ambulance.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:33 AM
4x4 Quadravan guy
New User
Quadra Vans

I own two Quadra vans (not for sale) a 1978 and 1980 Fords. A 351W and 460. Best 4x4 you can own!!! Owned one for 10 years/ smooth ride and huge. They have a ride like my 1989 F150 4x4 but are all 3/4 tons with springs from 1 tons.
285 75 16 tires clear with ease and lifting them another two inches is just front spacers under the springs and add leaf rear.
Parts are easy at Pathfinder.com or everything is almost OEM Ford IF YOU CAN FIGURE OUT WICH YEARS!!!!!
Every part on these are great (solid axles, 1 ton springs, good PS boxes, C6 tranny's, Oem Ford springs, Oem tie rods, etc. Only the drive shaft are custom!!! but u joints are oem.

There is one for sale out here in Washington at Craigslist Seattle (located in Covington) listed under Ford 4x4 E250 van.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Rick1025
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Try ujointoffroad .Lots of good links.Rick

Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 PM
getout
New User
Advanced 4WD

I've got a 1992 E350 with a 4x4 conversion from Advanced 4WD Systems (4X4 VANS - The Ultimate 4WD SUV). I love the thing. These guys really know what they are doing. I'd trust their stuff over anyone else in the industry. They build vans for a lot of the ski resorts and outdoor adventure companies out here and skip their trucks all over the world for various applications.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:04 PM
AZIdaho
New User
I own a 1987 Pathfinder Quadravan with a 425hp 460, 35" tires, built C6, etc, etc.

I've had it for about 2 years and have done a few minor upgrades. It was mostly stock when I bought it with the exception of a healthy 460 rebuild with bigger cam, and new C6 with shift kit.

I added an Offenhauser aluminum intake, Perfore 750 electric choke carb, upgraded ignition components, Mickey Thompson rims, 35" Mud tires, and a couple of other minor mods.

I have a guy that is about to start building a custom front bumper, roof rack, and rear bumper.

I'm tempted to sell it since they seem to go for more than what they should on Ebay, and I'm ready for something smaller, but I really would like to finish lifting it, repaint, and some other stuff...

Old 02-20-2010, 04:10 PM
AZIdaho
New User
Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Qfordvanman89
New User
Qvan666

for better gas milage, advance dist untill engine starts to ping under a load or up a hill then back it off until it stops pining , this will give you hp and gas milage....a 750cfm edelbrock carb w/elec chock that is tuned to the lean side will yeald 16-18 mpgs w/ a 3:73 rear end...And for parts goto pathfindervan.com...thes guys bought the old co....

Old 11-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Qfordvanman89
New User
I have a ford qvan...myquestion is...there two struts bolted to the cross member one to the right and one to the left that work to keep the axel centered...now my question is can you replace these two stablizers with one well built panhard rod going from the rt. side to the 3rd member and still be stable? the reason I want to do this is my clearence from rubber stop to axel is only 1-1/2" of travel it's a really rough ride...Mike

Quick Reply: Anyone Own A Quadravan?