1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 10:38 AM
Cabinmaster
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Stereo upgrade

Greetings! I have a 2012 E 350 Super Duty. The newer technologies are confusing for this old boy. The stereo works fine, but there is no illumnination. I would even consider an upgrade. Anyone have any suggestions, thoughts or experience with this?

Old 09-11-2021, 11:12 AM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 163 Likes on 153 Posts
Check crutchfield.com for what’s available and what’s plug-n-play. I’m not affiliated, just recommending a useful site.

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 175K miles

The following 2 users liked this post by tabijan:
Old 09-12-2021, 05:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by tabijan
Check crutchfield.com for what’s available and what’s plug-n-play. I’m not affiliated, just recommending a useful site.
I was on Crutchfield a few days ago and soooooo much of their stuff is unavailable due the world-wide microprocessor or "chip" shortage. Could be a tough hunt but Crutchfield would be my first go-to site for such gear.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-12-2021, 04:54 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I put in a Kenwood unit, required cutting the tabs from the dash to fit it in, as many do I have found, check Amazon, they have some old stock units.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:21 PM
N147JK
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I recently installed a Sony XAV-AX7000 and a set of Morel speakers in my van. There are dozens of units to choose from. You will want to do some homework and think about what's most important in order to help narrow down the choices. GPS navigation? Stereo power? Display clarity and size? Gee-wiz feature count? Wireless access? Do you want a separate amp? How about the speakers - they are critical. And on and on. There are guides out there to help you get started. I think Crutchfield has several to read through. Have fun!

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-13-2021, 11:40 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
I did not get GPS, it requires a monthly fee, I do like the bluetooth hands free, have the mic on the shelfit above me, it will automatically pickup for me if I don't tap the screen to answer or hangup, even will log into my bluetooth diagnostic tool, and optional rear camera, which has been a pain to install, I put it over my plate in the rear through the plastic panel, I have yet to get someone to run it forward for me.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:35 AM
N147JK
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by maples01
I did not get GPS, it requires a monthly fee,
Which make/model did you install? Most units these days can use your phone for GPS navigation, plugged in via USB - no extra fees required.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:45 PM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
This is for information, not a recommendation. I have a basic double din stereo with 6” display screen, Bluetooth streaming, microphone and a rear camera RCA socket. I can hear music, phone calls or GPS directions from my phone. No video from my phone. Audio only including voice commands to the phone which I rarely use. For GPS video I set my phone sideways on the gauge cluster. It only blocks the gear selection display.

The rear camera is in the license plate surround by the latch. It gets power from the reversing light. Video signal and reversing trigger wires are tucked under the side paneling to the dash. These are cheap stereo and rear camera so there’s no option to offset the camera image so it’s centered on the van centerline. The running boards are high enough that we can “feel” the curb The rear camera has green-yellow-red zone overlays that are quite accurate. If something’s in the red zone, you’re about to hit it. If I angle the camera a little lower I can probably see the hitch.

We usually listen to music on my phone or Spotify on wifey’s phone or audio from internet programming. One touch to accept an incoming call which is broadcast to everyone in the van. It goes back to music after the call. Putting the van in reverse attenuates music (why?) and puts rear camera display on the screen. We haven’t yet taken a call while in reverse I’m tempted to add a momentary switch to activate the rear camera while not in reverse but I’m lazy to add a relay so the reversing lights don’t come on

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 176K miles

Old 09-15-2021, 01:49 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood...?skuId=6318652
Kenwood DDX376BT
An oscillating cutter makes quick work of the tab removal on the dash, I used a utility knife, something I do not recommend doing.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:27 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
For those anticipating a double-DIN install there are a few posts here detailing how those chassis can be installed in a E-Series dash. So far I've not had a need or desire for such an install but it doesn't look too overly complicated.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:18 AM
FinnishStroker
Cargo Master
Received 783 Likes on 482 Posts
Cheap Chinese 2 DIN Android player was direct fit for my 2000 e350,but it allready had an aftermarket Pioneer unit in it.

JWA,is it safe to recommend an cheap Chinese Android unit?

Old 09-17-2021, 03:38 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by FinnishStroker
Cheap Chinese 2 DIN Android player was direct fit for my 2000 e350,but it allready had an aftermarket Pioneer unit in it.
JWA,is it safe to recommend an cheap Chinese Android unit?
I'm completely ignorant of anything that advanced FinnishStroker. Over the past 12-15 years I've used nothing other than single-DIN Sony products that have at most a CD player. For me there's nothing in the "high tech" automotive entertainment products I need or want. That being the case I cannot safely advise anyone on such a choice.

Sorry my friend!

Old 09-19-2021, 02:28 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
All comments on Chinese android units end the same, they have software issues, the cheaper the unit, the worse it is, I had been looking at one before I bought my Kenwood, I have several amps and subwoofers in my van, I prefer the option of a user adjustable equalizer, I detest the option of Jazz, Pop, Rock, Rap setup because it does not allow equalizing sound, just too much of one option, be it bass or treble. I am wanting to get the rear camera hooked up, the stupidity of people is rather high, too many will ignorantly just walk behind your vehicle while its in motion, its just staggering, staring at their phone like a zombie just walking without paying attention, its a wonder more aren't killed doing it, perhaps they are and it gets labeled covid.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:18 AM
tabijan
Fleet Mechanic
My issue with low end units seem to be with touchscreens. Blaupunkt and Boss (not Bose) units don’t last. I wish I could find more with mechanical buttons but I guess touchscreens are cheaper to build these days.

There are two issues with the Kenwood DDX25BT in the van. First, it balks when there are two or more known devices in the van. When it balks, we have to reintroduce devices which requires a song and dance. Second, sometimes it pairs calling features only, not music. More menus and options to enable music. The low end Dual in the minivan will pair with a known phone always. It doesn’t read minds but it doesn’t get stuck in a blank loop. And pairing is easy with the Dual. Pick the Dual on the phone Bluetooth list and it pairs. No passcodes and secret handshakes. Maybe the Kenwood has more features that require security but we don’t use those features. Maybe it’s settings we haven’t figured out. The Dual just works. Let’s see for how long.

Sixto
07 E350 5.4 176K miles

Old 09-19-2021, 06:08 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
I have the DDX 376BT, no issue with it so far, I just use my thumbdrive for music, it automatically switched my phone when it rings, I forget it a lot, not used to it, I haven't toyed with other options tho.
I saw this and almost ordered this radio, I really don't need an android unit tho, just options I'll never use.

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade