1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Anyone Own A Quadravan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 01:01 AM
Peachman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me and my Dad just recently acquired a 1974 Ford Quadravan Hi-Cube.Now looking around I have not been able to find anymore.Anyone ever seen one or heard of one?Or this this a "one of a kind" or "one-off"?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
As others have posted in this thread before, "Quadravan" was the name of the Ford vans that a company named Pathfinder converted to 4WD (their Chevy van conversions were called "K-van", I don't remember Dodge).

Quadravans weren't real common, but they weren't one-offs either. Hi-cubes also weren't as common as a regular van, so the combination is all the more rare. Still, the 4WD stuff will be the same as the 4WD stuff on any other Quadravan (at least of the same weight rating), so it's not like you need to find parts for a 4WD hi-cube.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Peachman
New User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
As others have posted in this thread before, "Quadravan" was the name of the Ford vans that a company named Pathfinder converted to 4WD (their Chevy van conversions were called "K-van", I don't remember Dodge).

Quadravans weren't real common, but they weren't one-offs either. Hi-cubes also weren't as common as a regular van, so the combination is all the more rare. Still, the 4WD stuff will be the same as the 4WD stuff on any other Quadravan (at least of the same weight rating), so it's not like you need to find parts for a 4WD hi-cube.
Oh I know quadravans weren't One-offs,I just have not seen another Quadravan Hi-cube,let alone a snub-nose.From my understanding you could take any van and have it sent to pathfinder for the conversion.I was asking if its possible that this is the only 1974 hi-cube that was converted by pathfinder.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:32 PM
FireBlue
Senior User
Im doing a full resto on mine. Its all coming together. I got the chassis acid dipped and galvanised

Old 08-13-2017, 05:35 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice!!

Old 08-13-2017, 05:39 PM
FireBlue
Senior User
460 built up to around 500hp

diffs fully rebuilt. New everything.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:43 PM
FireBlue
Senior User
Has anyone done a conversion of this ridiculous double panhard rod to a single rod or watts link?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:47 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
Strange, thats the first gen Bronco front axle arrangement, thought that was last used in the second gen van, looks great.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:26 AM
FireBlue
Senior User
Anyone know what draglink these pathfinder conversions used? im tryin gdesperately to find one after i asked a suspension shop to match me a new one and they accidentally threw mine out as scrap!

Its very hard to find anything in Australia to compare it to.

thanks guys!

Old 03-29-2018, 09:13 AM
pikewrench
New User
I have had over 2 dozen requests for this book (some for outside the USA) and add some info on the selector hubs that some one provided. Right before they closed the Ohio plant, I called to order some new bushings (which I have yet to install) and got into a conversation with someone that I assumed was part of the management team. I had asked a question about the parts they used in the conversion as many of the parts on mine have the Oval casted, but not the word FORD printed in the oval. I was told that the majority of the parts would be interchangeable with a 4X4 pickup of the same year and weight class. There are a few custom made parts like draglinks, but to keep costs down they used a lot of parts that were off the shelf. You might check your parts to see if they have a casted oval on them, if there is an oval it is a part used on other Ford vehicles. I still have my 78 supervan pathfinder conversion that I ordered new. It was one of the last vans down the assembly line for that year as it has a 79 roof (79 model supervans had two spots provided in the roof for a sun roof one in front and one in back). Please note if you ask for the book my reply will be from pikewrench@epbfi.com as aol is too slow to process this book.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Azboy
New User
87 ford pathfinder engine

Just found this old thread & would love some options on engine situation, it's an original carbed 460 very gutless & non existent gas mileage , I'd like to swap engines with something newer to improve mph , thought about diesel but fuel prices are high , should I rebuild it & put a better carb ? Forgot to mention it's a pathfinder 4x4

Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Azboy
Just found this old thread & would love some options on engine situation, it's an original carbed 460 very gutless & non existent gas mileage , I'd like to swap engines with something newer to improve mph , thought about diesel but fuel prices are high , should I rebuild it & put a better carb ? Forgot to mention it's a pathfinder 4x4
Rebuild it and swap up to an RV cam, replace the 4 barrel with an Edelbrock, the Holley sniper fuel injection is the best choice but costly. Diesels are powerful but extremely expensive to repair and newer ones are complicated, to the point they are an electronic nightmare, unless you are wealthy, even if you can do the work yourself remember vans are cramped, repairs are difficult, most occasions require body separation to access diesel engine parts.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 PM
Azboy
New User
Thnx maples ! My idea on approx mpg driving conservative? Was hope it t get close to 20 😁

Old 08-21-2018, 08:46 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
You will be lucky to get 12 MPG, you are talking about a big block 4x4 after all.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:41 PM
Azboy
New User
Ugh ! Lol yeah I guess so , was just hoping for upper teens ! Oh well , thnx for the info

Quick Reply: Anyone Own A Quadravan?