Sponsored by:

351W EFI '94 Bronco Randomly Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 02:04 AM
TeddyY
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351W EFI '94 Bronco Randomly Cuts Out

My '94 bronco xlt generally starts up fine cold. However, sometimes the car will die while driving. Sometimes it starts back up after a few tries. Other times, it takes hours of waiting and turning the motor over to get it to start again. Many times, after I drive it for, say, and hour straight and then park it and come back out and hour or two later to start it it will not start. When it runs - it runs great. Its just that sometimes the darn thing will cut out or wont start! What could be the problem? Could it be the magnetic trigger in the distributor? The car has an auto trans, 3.73 open rear, and about 225,000 miles on it. It has plenty of power when it runs and does not burn oil or blow smoke out of the tail pipe.

I changed the little flat black module that clips into the wiring harness by the hood hinge area - and that helped it for a while then the problem of starting and stalling came back.

THANKS!
Ted Young
tedyoung84@netzero.net

Old 01-09-2005, 05:15 AM
SproutW
Senior User
This will be a multi process to find out what is exactly wrong since more information about the problem is not available. First, do you have any engine codes that would tell you the problem. Then the basics will be checked fuel, ignition and the such. It's hard to find a problem when the problem is not completely broke. Get back with me on the computer issue and we will go from there. Sometimes corrosion on wires makes things a pain and I will give you some likely area to check first.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:17 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
My '94 bronco xlt generally starts up fine cold. However, sometimes the car will die while driving. Sometimes it starts back up after a few tries. Other times, it takes hours of waiting and turning the motor over to get it to start again. Many times, after I drive it for, say, and hour straight and then park it and come back out and hour or two later to start it it will not start. When it runs - it runs great. Its just that sometimes the darn thing will cut out or wont start! What could be the problem? Could it be the magnetic trigger in the distributor? The car has an auto trans, 3.73 open rear, and about 225,000 miles on it. It has plenty of power when it runs and does not burn oil or blow smoke out of the tail pipe.

I changed the little flat black module that clips into the wiring harness by the hood hinge area - and that helped it for a while then the problem of starting and stalling came back.
THANKS!
Ted Young
Welcome to the only family Ford Truck site, on the net. As you can see... The members in these forums are very knowledgeable about trucks; they will eagerly help you…when you have a question.
If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help to understand FTE and how it operates.
Enjoy FTE

Old 01-09-2005, 12:33 PM
TeddyY
New User
Sprout, what are some areas to check for bad or corroding wires?

Thanks,
Ted

Old 01-10-2005, 04:32 AM
SproutW
Senior User
I'm assuming your computer didn't give you any codes. The first thing I would check would be the fuel relay located on the inner drivers side fender. That relay sometimes goes bad and the wires going to it are usually corroded (If you live in a salt state like mine). You can buy a new pig tail for it at most auto parts stores. When your Bronco dies and it won't restart try checking this. Turn your key to the on position but don't start it. You should hear a humming noise for a second or two. That is your fuel pump priming the system (You actually have two pumps one located on the frame and one located in the tank). If you don't hear that, then we know that's the system that is bad. Try it the next time you start the old beast and see if you can hear it. Your ignition modual located on your distributor may be giving you fits and ready to puke. It's not expensive and easy to fix. I would replace that just for cheap insurance. I would also replace the fuel relay for giggles but I'm the type that spends alittle money on my Broncos. I believe in preventative maintenance because I don't believe in being stranded. Let me know if you got any computer codes because that will eliminate other problems. That's a start for now. Give it a try.