Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Auto Locking Hubs versa Manual Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:08 AM
trakman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Auto Locking Hubs versa Manual Lock?

Still having problems with my 03 auto locking front hubs. From the reading I've done here, it is most likely a vacume problem because I can have locked hubs when I first turn the switch to 4 wheel drive and in a short period of time or a distance of a couple of miles, they are not locked anymore. Would like to have the auto system working so will have to bite the billet and take it to the dealership. I know that I can manually lock them in and have 4 wheel drive so this is an option that I can use (and I do know they work). From reading here, why do so many of the people that have the auto lock-manual lock hubs do away with them and replace them with Warn hubs that are manual lock? Why not just forget you have auto locks and just use the manual lock portion...are they not that reliable or strong?

Old 01-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my 4th (maybe 5th, I lose count) manual locking hub vehicle. I had 2 auto lock vehicles. I have had much better luck with the manual locking hubs. With all of the potential for problems with vacuum leaks I just feel better knowing it is mechanical and not counting on vacuum.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:47 AM
akpwrstrk
Junior User
If you take the auto/manual hub switch apart, it's cheap, thin plastic. I actually broke the little plastic nibs off while trying to disengage from manual. I think it's a thing of quality metal parts and safety. I was afraid the entire switch was going to fall out while drive. Ford sure skimped on parts when putting in the niceity of having the auto locking feature. I liked someone elses post here. "Real men get out and lock em in."

Old 01-08-2005, 12:18 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
the autos just arnt that reliable. Like akpwrstk said If you take the auto/manual hub switch apart, it's cheap, thin plastic

i went to warns on my wife 2000 that had manuals on it cause they broke inside. no problems anymore. and the vaccum problems, i dont like how the factory hubs dont feel like they locked, the warns click in and you know there locked