Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Shelves...screws or nails?

Old 01-06-2005, 03:30 AM
keith w
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shelves...screws or nails?

This is not directly related to my shop, but if it works out I may end up building some for myself. My Dad somehow has managed to wind up renting several storage buildings in the past few years. Right now he has 3 and I have been telling him to consolidate and get rid of two of them. I think I about have him talked into it. You know how these things go You have a few things, you decide you need storage space and before long you have moved a couple of times and you have numerous storage buildings full of stuff. Well these are not full, he just is not taking advantage of the space he has.

Anyway, I am going to build him some freestanding storage shelves for his stuff, mainly for boxes and storage containers. My question. Is it ok to use a good wood screw to put it together? Each will be roughly 6 ft. tall, 6 ft. long and 2 ft. deep. The shelves will be framed with either 2x3's or 2x4's and have a piece of plywood screwed to the top. The legs will likely be 2x4's in an "L" shape on each corner. There probably will not be a shelf at the very bottom, so the first will most likely be 20" from the floor. The only reason I am asking about the screws is because I think it will be easier for me to assemble by myself that way. Trying to get the two legs on each corner level while hammering away might prove to be a task. And my experience with pine 2x4's, they usually split when you try to put nails too close the ends.

I am not set on any design, but I basically want to know if the right screws will be just as good as nails.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:41 AM
Sgt_Pepper17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey,

Actually, it's been my experience that wood screws work better. My dad got mad<!****ed> after I bought my truck and even more mad<!****ed> after he found all the spare parts that came with it. I started nailing together a shelving unit and had nothing but problems. I screwed everything together. I had to pre-drill some stuff, but it was well worth the time because nothing split. I would definately use wood screws. Even bad screws worked for me. Good luck with your dad!!... and I was hoping it would get easier with the years!!

Erik

Old 01-06-2005, 03:59 AM
keith w
Posting Guru
I can't blame him entirely, some of it is my junk

Back to the screw vs. nail thing. I always thought a good wood screw would provide more grip with less problems. It was a friend that told me not to use them, that it would be more sound with nails. Maybe he thought I was going to use drywall screws.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:02 AM
Sgt_Pepper17
Senior User
Couldn't tell ya, but I definately have always used screws with no problems. Even building sets for plays, I used screws. They are just as good, if not better. Also, they let you remove them easily if you screw up and they never bend if you hit a knot or mis-hit.

Erik

Old 01-06-2005, 06:20 AM
CapeF250
Senior User

I always use screws myself.Nails can tend to pull out and screws are much easier to remove if you need to change things later.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:11 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 845 Likes on 764 Posts
I like to use square drive decking screws, easy to drive and bigger diameter (no. 8?) than drywall screws. Just bought a big box of 3" screws it had an new drive bit in it that is combo square and phillips, it sure does grip.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 AM
zuikoman
Senior User
Just make sure you use good quality screws. There are some horrible screws out there. The gold ones at home depot are absolute garbage. They will easily lose their heads when you put them in or snap in half if you put any stress on them. I have also used stainless deck screws that were really bad... low grade of stainless for sure.

I use these these heavy galvanized wood screws I get from menards everywhere and have had no problems with them. I've switchted to 6 lobe (torx T25) for everything because I think it gives the best grip. If you predrill it's not a big deal though, anything will work.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:49 AM
dffay
Elder User
Construction screws are the way to go. If you should ever have to break it down and move it, or, more likely, make a design change of custom shelving placement while its in place, its a whole lot easier with screws and a screwgun.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:58 AM
snyiper
Senior User
Screw it!!! I just framed out a addition and used screws. Hammer also tends to move stuff around too much with the banging
Glenn

Old 01-06-2005, 11:07 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
i prefer to use a framing nailer or framing screw gun better

Old 01-06-2005, 04:08 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in the habit of screwing and gluing everything I build (I was a boatbuilder once) I use tite-Bond or Elmer's carpenter glue. The glue will make it stronger, and it won't loosen up with age.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:34 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with the screws!!!

If you put a 'back' on the shelves, it will stiffen the structure, tremendously.

Hint:
Don't use plywood for the shelves, UNLESS you put a solid wood strip along the front edge. The plywood will support about 1/3 to 1/2 what solid wood will.
Particle board. . . never!

The back:
Use 1/2 inch plywood. Plenty strong and stable for that.

I built some free-standing shelves for my garage, several years ago. The shelves look like big boxes, turned up onto their edge.
Use pressure-treated lumber for any part that will sit on the ground/concrete.
The lumber will draw moisture and rot, if you're not selective about the wood.

Bottom line. .
Screws are much stronger than nails. (Add glue and you have an unbeatable combination.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
keith w
Posting Guru
The plywood won't be carrying much of the th weight, it will just be there to keep small stuff from falling through. Each individual shelf will be framed in either 2x4 or 2x4's, and knowing they way I over-build stuff, there will probably be another 2x4 across the middle, length wise .

Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Go with the screws!!!
Bottom line. .
Screws are much stronger than nails. (Add glue and you have an unbeatable combination.
AMEN, BROTHER! And buy the square drive type ....

Roger

Old 01-06-2005, 09:17 PM
keith w
Posting Guru
The only square drives I have found locally are stainless ones at the Depot and Lowes. They are quite pricey I don't mind paying that much as long as they are quality stuff, but I don't know what is and what isn't.

BTW, thanks to everyone for your opinions. It makes deciding on what to use a lot easier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shelves...screws or nails?