1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

96 psd it's like it drops cylinders/doesn't fire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 07:12 PM
calgirl96
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 psd it's like it drops cylinders/doesn't fire?

Hi,

I love my truck but not this week. I replaced the under valve cover gaskets and injector harness on right side. repaired the outside wire harness plug that was burned. My truck still has same problem but not as strong. And it will now die going down the road. any suggestions.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:07 AM
MDB
Senior User
What, specifically, is it doing? Are you losing an entire bank of cylinders? Or is just one or two cylinders not firing properly?

I just had a similar problem with my 96, in that I also had to replace the one injector wiring harness and valve cover gasket.

An easy way to check the connectors under the cover that can't be seen is with an ohmmeter, using the following value from Charles at Dieselmann's web page;

You should have something like 3-5 ohms of resistance between pins C and (B or
D). There should be no continuity between C and ((A or E), or (to ground)); or
between B or D to ((A or E), or (to ground)). It sounds more like there is a
harness problem to me than an IDM problem.

The five pin designations are A, B, C, D and E, going from left to right. Pins A & E are for the glow plugs and are always referenced to ground. A good glow plug will have an ohm reading of about 0.9 when cold up to several ohms when hot. Any continuity at all between the 3 center pins and ground is a problem.

Old 01-06-2005, 03:56 PM
calgirl96
New User
I loose maybe one or two cylinders. when it happens it could be anytime. It is usually when I am on the throttle. If it were a gas engine. I would say I need a tune-up, but of course I don't. Right now I am just throwing parts at it. Someelse said it was a cam sensor. So I have ordered one.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:38 PM
96ford4x4turbodiesel
Senior User
i was about to say camshaft position sensor, but that feels like more that one or two cylinders order it from the international dealership instead of the ford stealership about $100 cheaper i payed $104 for mine

Old 01-09-2005, 11:08 AM
cabletvc
New User
I have a 96 P/S. With the same valve cover gasket proublems. I found the pins for the wireing harnes. waiting for dealer ship to open tomarrow. Orignal thought CPS was bad . Good luck

Old 01-09-2005, 11:15 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
how did the harness look on the other side under the vc did you check that one? your idm might be dieing due to shorting out on the one side. but with it intermittenly seems like still a wiring issue. i would go through and do a resistance check like the other guys said and go through all the wire with a fine tooth comb to make sure something else in the harness is heating up and shorting out.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:28 PM
cabletvc
New User
Thanks. I will ck it out to see What the ohms are. I need any help to get it up and running.Thanks