Sponsored by: DP Tuner

opinions on which tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:38 PM
FL-FORDS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question opinions on which tuner

OK- Fiance has a 01 F250 SD 7.3L, 4" lift and 35" tires. K&N air filter and the Hypertech--dont yell (lol). has been fine, no probs except the CPS.

We went to TX and bought an 01 EX 7.3L with 4" lift and 35's also, added the K&N air filter. For the trip home we added the Hypertech(as you can see we just joined-found this site) on the way home the service engine soon light came on, we had a snap on diagnostic with us, and the P1249 came up, called a mechanic friend and he said the Turbo wastegate etc. Get to Pensacola Ford dealer, get rid of Hypertech and the code is GONE- no service light, no codes on snap on machine... Hmmmmmmm weird to us.. as this never happens to the super duty, and it has had road trips..

So we come home all the way back to SWFL, and all is well.

He did install the Hypertech back on his SD and all is fine....So for the time being that one is staying..

But on the EX we are so torn between the Superchips and Diablo, this is pretty much new to us also... We mostly have done stuff with the Stangs, 98 Cobra and 95 GT.....

Sooo please can I have a detailed list of pro's cons between the 2... and exactly what 3 guages should we get? Boost, EGT and what else? We dont do any serious towing.. only sometimes, but mostly looking for better mileage,,,.

Eventually we will be doing mods on the trucks but not right now.. other than some of these minor things...

I have been reading the forums, but some things are so scattered here and there... PLEASE... help a newbie out here..... to get the right info on these chips.. I am reading each night as I have time..
Thanks millions
J & P

Old 01-06-2005, 10:17 PM
FL-FORDS
New User
?????????? anyone have opinions??????????

Old 01-06-2005, 10:54 PM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems what most people are getting are the Exhaust Temp Gauge (Pre or Post Turbo), Boost and the Trans Temp. I can't help on the chips since I do not have one, yet. But make sure you have the gauges before the tuner, if not, take it easy on the foot.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:02 PM
MESTRKR
Junior User
I have the Superchips tuner, and am not completely happy with it. The shifts, atleast on my truck leave something to be desired. Some tranny work can fix this i suppose, but have not been able to get around to it. My friend has the Diablo so i tried it out for a week or so. In my opinion, the hp ratings were much closer with the Diablo than with the Superchips. The shifts on the race program were firm and felt great. I didn't have much of a chance to play around with the Diablo as it was always on the 100hp setting. That's my two cents

Old 01-06-2005, 11:03 PM
MESTRKR
Junior User
Oh yeah, i have a 99 F-250 psd auto

Old 01-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the 1700 MAX MicroTuner. It doesn't have the code reader like the newer I think 1705, but I've read threads on this site where people have used both and preffer the 1700. Like you I don't tow or go to the track, just like a litter more peddle. I use it on the low setting. The high made me nervous when the truck shifted.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:23 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
I had a SCMT 1700, much stronger and firmer shifts than the 1705 I have now. Ran a friends Diablo for about a month, It was way faster at loading programs than the SCMT, felt way stronger, shifts were too firm i thought.My truck didnt seem to like the Diablo very much. At Times I thought it was to strong, truck just didnt feel right with it, even on the lowest setting.Exhaust temps with the 2 SCMT were about the same. temps with the Diablo got high really quick, but it was really strong.!! I have heard that your ecm code can make a difference when it comes to tuners and programs, My 02 350 has the VDH2 ECM. If I had it to do all over again i would have kept my 1700 SCMT, althought the code reader on the 1705 is very handy..