Sponsored by: DP Tuner

pyrometer on Trucks tv show today

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Turbo_Whistler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pyrometer on Trucks tv show today

Was watchin Trucks today, you know, the show that makes everything look easier to do than it is. Stacy was talking about turbos on one episode and building up a powerstroke on another. One episode they talked about installing the pyro pre and post turbo. It was mentioned that pre turbo is more accurate and quicker temp responses, but it was also mentioned that if your pyro sensor ever broke off or something happened to it, then it will go up into the turbo and cause some good damage. Anybody ever heard of that happening?? Never even considered that happening or thought about that before. I found it an interesting point though and thought i would share. OH, and the next episode they built up a 6.0 and put the pyro in the exhaust manifold, stressing to the viewers to take the manifold off for drilling and tapping.

Glad i caught the episodes today, just ordered my pyro and boost gauges from shopdiesel.com yesterday. Will probably install pyro pre turbo. Anybody got any extra tips or helpful words on installing the two??? Thanks.

99.5 psd, 6 speed, straight pipe, 6 inch lift, 35 mud terrians

Old 01-02-2005, 08:22 PM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
I saw the same episode today where they stressed taking the manifold off to avoid getting and metal shavings in the manifold. Now where as I moved my probe from post to pre turbo this morning im a little worried. Im quite sure no shavings actually escaped me I cant be 100% sure. Should I, or anyone be worried about this? Can a few little shavings really hurt anything?

Steve

Old 01-02-2005, 08:31 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
The pieces are small enough to pass with no problem. Use a small magnet to retrieve what you can. Allways go pre unless you are installing both.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I installed mine 4 months ago in the manifold and haven't had one problem, I used ALOT of grease, and drilled the lowest point in the manifold, used a little seal pick to pull anything out that had gotten inside the manifold.

I highly doubt that you will be able to even get the manifold off, the PITA that it would be, it's just as easy to drill it from below the truck.

I think that if there were any metal shavings inside the manifold you woud have heard it within the first seconds of start up after you installed it, the shavings would have prolly scored the turbo walls, and roasted a fin, so if its running fine now, you all good.

IH tractors have been running pre turbo probes since the mid eights and I have never heard of any of them breaking off, and they sit at 1000* for hours on end, your probe should last forever, and if it does break off, a turbo off ebay is like $400, so your not gunna be broke for a year if it does go.

Happy drilling.

Diesel Rod

Old 01-02-2005, 10:27 PM
kalsc
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. Excellent post 444. :-)