1978 302 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Mikeleew
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1978 302 Question

Not sure if I want to hear the answer, but here is the question. I have what looks like a pooling of liquid at the back of my carburator on the intake right below the base plate where the hose connects over to the EGR valve. Seems to be a mixture of gas and oil. The hose is old and I'll replace it, but should there be that kind of pressure there? If the new hose seals it, will this then liquid then end up on the valves? The EGR is new.

This forum rocks by the way.
Michael.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:43 PM
krehmkej
Senior User
This almost sounds like oil from blowby getting into the air cleaner from the pcv inlet and leaking out onto the manifold. Check inside the air cleaner for oil and be sure the PCV suction line to the front of the carb isn't plugged. The one on my 78 Ranchero 351W was, leading to exactly what you describe...

Old 01-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Mikeleew
Freshman User
More on the gas smell/fluid on the intake

krehmkej, thanks for the input. I'm still looking into your suggestion but I have another questions and maybe should place it as a separate post. I have a 2 barrel (maybe the original?) on the 302. Under the rear part of the support for the air filter is a vacumm line into the carb that is currently plugged. When plugged, it causes a surge pump on top of the carb to suck in and stay in. Can anyone tell me what that pump is supposed to do? A replacement for it was on contained in my rebuild kit. Where should that line be ran to?

Michael.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
krehmkej
Senior User
Michael,

I removed the stock 2 bbl years ago for an Edelbrock. What you describe sounds like it could power a vacuum motor that opens and closes a diversion valve to route hot air to the intake when the engine is cold. Another possibility is that this is part of the evaporative emission control system that sucks vapors into a carbon cannister. CA and 49-state setups would probably differ, too. Mine originated in GA, FWIW.