Smog / Emissions / Safety inspections

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Cablesplicer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smog / Emissions / Safety inspections

Folks,

I will be moving to upstate New York (Ft. Drum) In early 2005. I am bringing my '77 F250 from CA. What are the emissions laws like in NY? They are a real pain out here. What do the safety inspections consist of. I did a search of old posts and found some info from 2002. Are these still in effect or have they changed?

Thanks

Cablesplicer

Old 09-09-2004, 07:31 PM
bluepartsman
Freshman User
I live about an hour from Ft. Drum (utica) and have never had a smog test done on my truck. most inspections here are just the standard making sure things are safe. e-brake works, brakes in good condition, all lights work, you know the little stuff. I have no catalytic converter on my truck, tru dual exhaust, and no smog equipment in the engine compartment. I would however find out about a place before you blidly brought your truck into someone. get to know someone and they can inspect your truck in the time it takes to take the old inspection sticker off. good luck with the move.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:28 AM
John Pen
Tuned
I agree with what bluepartsman says...and will add I believe only '93 and up are subject to emmissions testing..other than that, its just safety equipment as he stated...

Old 09-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
It has not taken effect yet, but there is a new inspection coming that will be smog, emissions, and safety. So far from what I hear your rig will probably be grandfathered, but they have not settled on how far back. Currently I am hearing 20 years. Several shops are getting out of doing the inspections due to the requirements such as $3000 for the base equipment, a dedicated phone line with live hook-up, and talk of live web cams so the inspector can't put the emission tester in a different vehicle. They were suppose to go live with it back in May or June but have run into problems with the equipment. I guess we will see what happens.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:54 PM
Cablesplicer
New User
Thanks for the info...

Cablesplicer

Old 09-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Cablesplicer - Let us know when you get to NY so we can welcome you to the state. From your login name are you a cable tech? I don't think you will have anything to worry about with your truck. From what I am hearing from several shop owners, NY is copying CA's inspection so if you are passing there you should be fine here with all your rigs.

Old 09-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
Cablesplicer, anythiing over 25yrs old in NY is exempt from emissions inspection. the inspection is safety only. Your '77 shouldn't need an emisions, no matter where in the state.

Old 09-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
JD - Do you have any concrete information on the new inspection standards? I know several shop owners out here in Western NY and they are getting frustrated with the state as they are not forth coming with information. There was even a state examiner out here doing a seminar for the owners, but he didn't shed much light on it either. Any information would be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
several guys down here with pre '79s havent had to get emissions done. just safety only. several mechanics i have spoken to in the past that owned shops with inspection machines told me anything over 25 years old is considered a classic and falls out of the emmisions inspections because they are pre emmisions standards. my 79 bronco is a noncatalyst. the only emmisions they could even possibly do would be curb emmisions at an idle. Nothing else. there was no real emmisions standards.

Old 09-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
JD - What are you hearing on newer vehicles? Several of the guys I wheel with have rigs as new as 2002 and have done mods on them. The usual intake, exhaust, chip type of stuff, but some have removed sensors and stuff. It's the newer rigs that shop and vehicle owners are curious about and the state isn't providing much info on.

Old 09-11-2004, 08:13 PM
Jdenninger
Elder User
vehicles MUST have a cat installed if there was one out of the factory. As far as the exhaust readings, they must fall within the specs set, which, i believe, has a tolerance from the factory setting on the car. The biggest thing is the CATs.

Old 09-12-2004, 09:33 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
Hi Cablsplicer, welcome to the vampire state. The new inspection procedures to be started in June,well maybe Sept, well maybe ???? have mostly to do with OBDII for 96 and newer vehicles unless it is 2 years old or newer. If your truck passed in California it will do fine here. Check out www.nydmv.state.ny.us good luck, George

Old 09-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Cablesplicer
New User
Ronin007,

I am/was a telephone splicer (cable tech work too). However, I have re-enlisted in the Army (Infantry) and will be stationed at Ft. Drum for the next three years.

GLR,

Thanks for the link

Cablesplicer

Old 09-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cablesplicer
Ronin007,

I am/was a telephone splicer (cable tech work too). However, I have re-enlisted in the Army (Infantry) and will be stationed at Ft. Drum for the next three years.
Cablesplicer
I was just curious as I use to work for a cable company and still keep in touch with a lot of the guys there.

Old 10-15-2004, 03:51 PM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Yep, welcome to the "People's Republic of NYS". They're into every part of your business. Why they care about emissions upstate I can't understand. But here's the deal as I understand it. 1996 and later (federally mandated OBD-II standard) vehicles get hooked up to the computer AFTER the computer has dialed into the state and made a connection. You need to have all the readiness codes set and no trouble codes to pass inspection. A Ford compatible OBD-II code reader may be a worthwhile investment now. 1995 and older all they care is that they can turn the key on, see the check engine light come on, and then go out. I seriously doubt that something as old as a '77 would be a hassle. Like I said, all I have heard of so far upstate is a computer hookup or at least a bulb test, not a sniffer test.

Quick Reply: Smog / Emissions / Safety inspections