First Post and 1964 gas tank conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Ole' Green
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post and 1964 gas tank conversion

Hello All,

This is my first post, I've been reading for a while and learning quite a bit and I thought I would pop in, say hello and ask a question. I own a '64 Econoline panel van, 170, 3-speed, and a '54 F100 (ole' green), 223, 3-speed, overdrive. Both, my grandfather bought new and passed down to me. They are special to me and I keep them as nice as I can.

Recently the gas tank in the van began leaking and a trip to the radiator shop revealed that it was completely rusted out; unsalvageable. I have been unable to locate a new one. I read an article somewhere about using a gas tank from another vehicle that was the same size and moving the filler neck/vent tube so it would fit the van. As luck would have it, I cant find the article now that I need it. I believe it was a mustang tank that was used.

Ofcourse if someone is making new tanks for these vans, that would be the way to go, but after a pretty exhaustive search, I cant find one anywhere. Has anyone done this conversion or can someone point me to the article?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all of the previous help that I have received through a bunch of your posts.

Jack

Old 12-30-2004, 04:13 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the only family Ford Truck site, on the net. As you all read know...The members in these forums are very knowledgeable about trucks; they will eagerly help you…with your question. If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through FTE.
Enjoy FTE we are happy to have you on board!~

Old 12-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
hhmmmmmmmm, let me do some checking. seems like the stang tank was the one, but it wasnt a direct bolt in even with the neck moved.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:50 PM
etcetera
Senior User
Also, the late 70's early 80's econoline rear tank will fit with a couple mods and the removal of the counterweight.

Eric

Old 01-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Ole' Green
Freshman User
The later model tank must be deeper, are there any drawbacks to removing the counter weight? Will the original straps work with this tank?

I have read that a '64 falcon gas tank will fit as well, with some modifications and different straps, but the article didnt go into detail about what modifications would be required or what straps to use.

I am pretty sure that an early sixties mustang was the closest fit (no need to remove the counter weight, same straps), but I cannot find the article or anyone who has actually done a conversion.

Still searching,

Jack

Old 01-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
sorry, forgot about this one. yes the stang tank will fit in the frame, and you can use the stock straps. you have to move the filler neck to the side rear corner to make it work.

unless you are hauling a lot of weight all the time do not remove the counterweight. it is there for a reason! i have heard stories fo trucks and vans standing on their noses under panic braking, i cannot confirm or deny these stories and do not want to even try. the main reason for the counterweight is control under braking. in a panic or emergency stop, most of the vehicle weight is on the front axle. this cause the rear brakes to lock sooner than the fronts. the counter weight is there to help eleviate some of this problem. with out the counter weight the rear becomes too light causing a loss of control because of brake lockup.

course with out the counter weight, burnouts are relatively easy!