Westin Push Bar install on 95 EB

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:33 AM
RRobben
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westin Push Bar install on 95 EB

Hey guys!

I got a new Westin push bar for Christmas, and I tried to install it today but I ran into a problem with the frame mount brackets. This is going on a 95 Eddie Bauer 5.8. The instructions are really bad, but from what I can tell I used the right bracket for the Bronco, but there is no "hole" in my frame to attach it. I could put it on the stud that holds the steering stabilizer ( I think that's what the big bar going from side to side is anyway!) however. The real question is has anyone else installed one of these, and does the plastic air dam at the bottom of the bumper have to come off? Seems like if it was removed everything would work OK.

Thanks for the help once again!

Old 12-28-2004, 06:14 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
I took my air dam off on my 95 when I installed my Ranch Hand grill guard. It is common to cut notches in the air dam where the grill guard passes through it. You'll probably have to take it off to do this, but mark it before you remove it. Or just leave it off. Usually the brackets for the grill guard, push bar or whatever it is run just below the bumper. I like mine better with out the air dam. It also makes the truck look taller. Some of the newer trucks look stupid with out an air dam, but on our trucks I think it looks better. That is if you are going for an off road look. If you are going with a street look then the air dam looks better. Just my opinion. I wouldn't try to mount it to the sway bar, that doesn't sound right. It should mount the the frame directly or by using the bumper brackets. Sometimes they just kinda clamp on the bumper. I'm not to fond of that route. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TexasGuy001; 12-28-2004 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:01 PM
RRobben
Junior User
Yes, it does help TexasGuy. It's always good to get another opinion. I think that removing the air dam is the way to go. Seems like I can get a better mount that way, and I also think it will look better. As far as the sway bar is concerned, I'm kind of at a loss here as to where to put the lower frame mounts. Unless I drill a hole through the frame, there is just no other place to attach the $#@% thing! I'm going to call Westin Tech Support tomorrow and make sure that I have the right mounting kit for a 95 Bronco, so maybe they will have an idea. The top mounts are the clamp-type that just grab the bumper, so they are fine. Anyway, the biggest problem I have now is that we just had a foot of snow and ice, and I don't have a good (heated!) place to crawl under the beast and look around! I was using a buddies garage last night! I guess I will have to impose on him again.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:02 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
It is quite possible you have to drill holes in the frame. Did that kit come with multiple brackets? If so, then there may be one that either comes around the backside of the bumper and grabs it just like the top. Also you might take a second look at all the other brackets and maybe even look at them at as many different angles as possible. Maybe something will line up better. I would think that the lower bracket would mount to the frame though. Other than that I'm really not too sure what else to tell you. I guess we will se what the tech support says.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:40 PM
RRobben
Junior User
Problem Solved (I think!)

Guys,

Just got off the phone with Jason at Westin Tech Support. He confirmed that on my Bronco (95 EB Tow Package with Quad Shocks and 5.8) you have to use the sway bar studs to mount the bracket to attach the bottom of the Push Bar to the frame. He also said most people either remove, notch out, or put a slot in the plastic air dam so that you can get full extension on the bracket and reach the push bar mounting tab. So, it looks like I'll be in business once things dry up enough outside for me to get out the Dremel and put some slots in the dam.

Hope this helps somebody else out there!

Old 01-03-2005, 09:54 PM
RRobben
Junior User
It's all good now!

Got everything installed over the weekend, and I think it came out great. I posted a few pictures in my gallery if anyone what's to check it out! BTW, I did end up removing the air dam at the bottom of my front bumper. I think it looks better that way!

Old 01-04-2005, 06:54 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
I'm glad to see everything ended up working out alright. Your grill guard looks good. I like our body style trucks better with out the air dam, especially when a grill guard has been installed. I have daylighters too. Did those come with it as a special deal? I've seen that offered quite a bit.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:00 PM
RRobben
Junior User
No they didn't, but that would be a sweet deal. I picked them up at the local Pepboys for $109.00 for the kit. Wasn't too hard to install, just took awhile to do all of the routing of the wires.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Abigbronco
New User
I have a Manik Brush/grille guard on the exact same truck.
I will take some pics tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:21 PM
RRobben
Junior User
That sounds cool Abigbronco. I can't wait to see what it looks like. I couldn't find too many choices for our truck, so once I found the Westin I went with it. BTW, how did your mount to the truck, particularly at the bottom? Does it attach to the frame somehow?

Old 01-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Abigbronco
New User
My Manik bar clamps around the frame with a metal plate and some bolts.
It goes around the accordian shaped area.
I will take pics of it soon so you can see it.