1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Installed Factory Dvd In Nav On Sunday - Horrray

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:04 PM
dean petrucelli
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Factory Dvd In Nav On Sunday - Horrray

Just in case anyone has gotten really frustrated trying to install a OEM factory dvd player with the 20 pin connector in a 2003,2004 navigator – I figured I would share how my install on Sunday 12-19-04 went.

I started at 10:00 am by removing the a, b & c pillar molding on both sides along with the two front visors and the front overhead control unit (this just snaps in). I also removed the two coat hooks over the rear seats. I also removed the pinch welt around my sun roof. This was enough to drop the headliner down about 6”.

I then bolted in the factory dvd bracket (purchased from fordpartscheap.com). With this installed, I then cut the headliner just enough for the 4 post on the bracket to be exposed. (this still leaves about 2 inches of headliner before being exposed.

It was now around 11:30 and I was ready to screw in the dvd player and then reinstall all of the previous items removed except the c pillar on the drivers side. I ran my homemade wiring harness over to the driver side c pillar.

The wiring harness was made up from 4 (4) pin connectors used to power the “A” drive in old computers. (everyone has old computers hanging around right???) These 4 pins worked great and had a pigtail of about 6” on them. You only need 4 as the 20 pin dvd only uses 16 pins (pin 1-8 and 11-16).

I then ran about 5’ of wire from the pigtail ends (using solder less connectors) and wrapped it in harness tape. At the c-pillar, I cut the 16 wire plug (this is where the factory harness plugs inif you ordered dvd originally) exposing all of the wires. Stripped all wires (harness wires and plug wires) and installed solder less shielded connectors. Using the pinout provided below, I connected all 16 wires from the dvd to the correct wires from the former plug. I then zip-tied the harness (so it doesn’t move around) in the c-pillar and reinstalled the c-pillar cover.

Finished up around 2:00 – tried it out and it works perfectly – just like Lincoln intended it to.

The only thing that isn’t factory correct is that the front dvd illumination does not dim when the rest of the truck is dimmed (I couldn’t figure out how to do this)

If anyone needs more info – just ask. Thanks for all the help I received on this forum. If your planning on trying this – go for it, as it was a pretty easy install and looks great. For around 350.00, I got the factory correct dvd in my navigator along with two happy kids. Here is the pin out in case you don’t have it:

Dvd pin # c-pillar plug # & wire color

1 2 RED/YELLOW

2 9 GRN/BLK

3 9 GRN/BLK

4 1 BLK

5 6 WHITE

6 3 RED

7 16 RED

8 12 ORANGE

9 not used

10 not used

11 10 L BLUE/PINK

12 11 TAN

13 13 BLK

14 7 BLK/GRN

15 5 L GREEN

16 4 BLK

17 15 WHITE

18 14 PINK

19 not used

20 not used

Editted by MONSTA for clarity

Old 12-26-2004, 09:41 PM
MIKE1646
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Where can I get a system for my 03 Navy?

Old 12-27-2004, 11:16 AM
dean petrucelli
New User
i found mine on ebay

mike
i found mine on ebay and only paid a couple hundred for it. (the dealer wants 1200 for it which i refuse to pay) look for them and be patient as they come up often. just make sure you find the correct one which has a silver face and not a black face. also, make sure it has the two flanking black squares on the front which are the wireless headphone ttransmitters. enjoy the hunt

dean

Old 12-27-2004, 09:15 PM
MIKE1646
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
thanks Dean will try that

Old 01-07-2005, 12:03 AM
akradioman
New User
That is great information. I, too, have wired up the factory DVD to an Audiophile head unit. Same wires, same connector location. BUT - the stereo head unit doesn't recognize the DVD player - push the CD/AUX button and the CD fires up but no AUX option. I tried the MODE button on the rear seat control panel and still - radio/CD but no AUX. Any thoughts?

Also, do you have a part number for the ceiling bracket? I can't get the dealer to find the correct part. How does it attach to the roof? I opened my headliner and can see the supports on the roof. I should also mention that my 03 has the moon roof option too.

thanks!

Erik

Old 01-07-2005, 01:28 PM
dean petrucelli
New User
erik
are you sure you have it wired correctly. on mine, as soon as i put a cd in the player, the radio kicks over to dvd and operates correctly. Also, are you sure you have the correct 6 disc cd changer in the truck that supports the dvd. I have heard that not all 6 cd changers support the dvd player.If the changer is not the 6 cd changer, than i dont think it will ever work. the part number for the dvd bracket is 2L1Z78519K22AA for a non sun roof or 2L1Z78519K22AB with sun roof. the bracket does not come with any hardware, but the two holes at each end are pre-drilled along with the two holes in the truck. I just used some bolts, nuts and lock washers that i had that fit. it is an easy install with the sun roof because the bracket will slide in easy through the sun roof opening. let me know if you need anything else

dean p

Old 01-07-2005, 01:35 PM
dean petrucelli
New User
erik
i think i gave you a bogus part number - for a truck with sun roof, i think the dvd bracket part number is:
2L1Z78519K22BA
(i am going on memory here though)

dean p

Old 01-07-2005, 04:34 PM
akradioman
New User
Dean,
Thanks for the info as I was just headed out the door to the dealer. I do believe the wiring is correct that is why I am now wondering about the head unit. The head unit I have installed is a 6-cd Audiophile model that has the CD/AUX and SAT buttons. When the SAT button is pushed is displays NO SAT. When CD is pushed it plays from the on-board 6-disc changer but no amount of additional button pushing brings up DVD. There may be a reason this unit was on Ebay....

Thanks again!
Erik

Old 01-07-2005, 09:17 PM
ReverendT
New User
Originally Posted by dean petrucelli
mike
i found mine on ebay and only paid a couple hundred for it. (the dealer wants 1200 for it which i refuse to pay) look for them and be patient as they come up often. just make sure you find the correct one which has a silver face and not a black face. also, make sure it has the two flanking black squares on the front which are the wireless headphone ttransmitters. enjoy the hunt

dean
Whats the difference in the two? I've seen a tan unit with a black face that said it was for a ford.

Thanks,
RevT

Old 01-07-2005, 09:23 PM
peakay
Senior User
Originally Posted by akradioman
When the SAT button is pushed is displays NO SAT. When CD is pushed it plays from the on-board 6-disc changer but no amount of additional button pushing brings up DVD.
Don't feel bad -- we just bought a 2005 expy WITH dvd and we are having the same problem. i can take it in for warranty but seldom have time. if you figure it out, pleaselet me know.... -Paul

Old 01-10-2005, 08:13 AM
dean petrucelli
New User
RevT
i dont think there is any difference in the black versus silver faces, except for the color. i believe that the silver faces were made for the lincoln navigator and black faces were for all others.
dean p

Old 01-10-2005, 08:17 AM
dean petrucelli
New User
Erik
sorry to hear of your continuing troubles - let me know how you make out. i get the same message when i press SAT too - so this is correct. do you get the picture up on the dvd and just no sound?? Also, you know that pressing 3 and 5 (at the same time) on the headunit activates the rear seat controls? i doubt this is your problem though.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:57 AM
ReverendT
New User
Originally Posted by dean petrucelli
RevT
i dont think there is any difference in the black versus silver faces, except for the color. i believe that the silver faces were made for the lincoln navigator and black faces were for all others.
dean p
OK Thanks, I see you said you installed it in a Nav, missed that portion.

Thanks,
RevT

Old 01-10-2005, 10:01 AM
akradioman
New User
Dean,

Yes, the rear seat controls work perfectly, though I have not tried locking them with the 3/5 button push. The screen on the DVD works great as well. I am going to pull the headunit and check the continuity end to end; pin to pin. The only other thought I have is to try another DVD unit or another headunit. Arg!

I will let you know how this all turns out. Thanks again for all your suggestions and help!

Erik

BTW - The above part number is correct and the bracket it on its way. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 AM
dean petrucelli
New User
Erik
keep me posted - where did you get the bracket from - the dealer or online? fordpartscheap.com had decent prices and the part came in about 10 days - not bad

dean p

Quick Reply: Installed Factory Dvd In Nav On Sunday - Horrray