How good are SplitFire spark plugs????

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 08:03 PM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good are SplitFire spark plugs????

Hey guys!

I headed to town today and got 6 new Split Fire spark plugs with the V electrode. Have any of you ever tried em and how good are they? Also what is the gap? I knew I saw the number, but I forgot it! Isn't it around .035 or something?

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2004, 09:08 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
If I were you I would go return them if you can. These engines seem to work best with the stock motorcraft plugs. But if you really want to try them out, let us know how it goes.

Old 12-18-2004, 10:38 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe Thomas (Travlnman) has those in his truck. I seem to remember him mentioning he ran them and they did OK.
While I am not sold on the touted benefits, they'd be OK as long as they didn't cause problems.
I prefer to stick with Motorcraft. HOWEVER.....
About a month back I wanted to check my plugs. In so doing, I cracked an insulator. It being Sunday afternoon, I had to run to Wally World and pick up some plugs. I got Autolite copper plugs, gapped them to .054, and they are doing just fine. I know they won't last near as long as Platinum plugs, But, at about $1.25 each, they are cheap.
I plan to go back to Motorcraft Platinum next time, just so I don't have to mess w/ changing them as often.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:39 PM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
I have to work tomorrow, so I will give em a test run and report back to you guys. Before I put the new plugs in, the truck was acting like the engine was not firing right and so I decided to end the problem because it was getting annoying. When I took all of the plugs out, two were white and the other four were a nice tan-greyish color. I looked at the two plugs that were white and realized that the gap was too big and melted down the electrode real bad. Ouch!

Now I'm hearing a shrieking sound when I start the engine. What is making the shrieking sound and how do I get rid of it?????

Thank you for any advice!

Old 12-19-2004, 08:04 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Did the shrieking sound start right at the time you installed the plugs?
Does it go away after about 15-20 seconds? If so, I'd guess the fan clutch - and would say it's normal.
If it doesn't go away and it started when you installed the plugs, then I'd guess you have something (???) contacting the fan, the belt , or some other rotating device. Or, you knocked a vacuum line off.

Old 12-20-2004, 08:01 AM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes,I run splitfire plugs. They seem to run very well, with the exception of the fact that they don't seem to last as long as "normal " plugs.Maybe they run hotter or something. I change plugs about every 20-25k. They will run fine for you, and if not , stick with the stock plugs.

Old 12-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are throwing your money away on Splitfires...stay with the OEM Motorcrafts....

Old 12-20-2004, 05:56 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
I change plugs about every 20-25k.
Isn't that counterproductive? The cost more and last 1/4 as long as the stock motorcraft plugs.

Old 12-20-2004, 06:33 PM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
BrianA, yes, it started after I installed the plugs. I had my boss look at it and he figured it was a idler pulley going bad (he listened to it with a stethoscope). Would you agree with this or is it the fan clutch? But the sound goes away right after the engine runs for 10 secs.

I test ran the SplitFires and found that the truck pulls much better on hills and accelerates like a hot knife through butter. Smooth and nice-no more bucking! Yay!

Oh and btw, how much would it cost me to replace either the idler pulley or the fan clutch? I just want to get a rough estimate, but the prices for the same parts vary in every state. So, what amount do you have to spend on parts in your state? Also, how hard is it to install the idler pulley? I know I have to take the belt off and a few bolts, but other than that, how straightforward is it?

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2004, 07:59 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I replaced my fan clutch this spring. The part was about $75, and I dood it myself.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:09 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BlueOvalfan85
BrianA, yes, it started after I installed the plugs. I had my boss look at it and he figured it was a idler pulley going bad (he listened to it with a stethoscope). Would you agree with this or is it the fan clutch? But the sound goes away right after the engine runs for 10 secs.
Thanks!
Mine does the same thing, and has done it since new. It seems more noticeable on colder mornings.
I owned an Expedition that did the same thing.
I would not worry with it unless you notice your engine temp rising. I think it's normal.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:39 AM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
BrianA, I just discovered something real weird-the sound just disappeared! I can't hear it anymore. I mean, it was definitely making that sound but it just disappeared!
I was really surprised.

I'll let you know if it comes back again. When it does come back, I will replace either the idler pulley or the fan clutch, because I don't want to have people come up to me and say, "Why is your truck screaming?" That would be embarrassing!

My parents just bought a '97 Expedition a few weeks ago with 121K on it. It ran great and rides very well. It has the baby 4.6L engine in it and it doesn't make that shrieking sound. Weird......

Anyways, thanks a lot, guys, for all the help you have been! Appreciate it!

Old 01-04-2005, 02:46 AM
ET1
Junior User
Any comments on Bosch plugs. I plan to replace my Motorcraft plugs.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ET1
Stay with the Motorcraft plugs, Bosch plugs do not run well in Ford vehicles!!

Old 01-04-2005, 07:46 AM
bratman2
Senior User
I put Bosch plats. in my old Subaru Brat and my wife's Mustang at the same time a couple of years ago, both vehicles developed a stuttering like miss while cruising that did not go away until I pulled the Bosch plugs out ( less than a couple of hundred miles). I wouldn't put Bosch on a lawn mower after that episode. I installed NGK irduim plugs on my 2000 F150 alittle over 5k ago and they work great. I wouldn't wait 100k to change these plugs either or your likely to have alot of trouble removing them( I have been told this because I don't wait that long like I said). The Mustang had 52k and the back two plugs looked pretty bad, covered with a goldish looking deposit, used the autolite copper core on it as that was all I could find. The autolites worked great in the Mustang. My truck I replaced at 30k and the Motorcrafts still looked fairly new.
Originally Posted by ET1