1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

please help with my 96 chuggin psd

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:13 AM
jasonmichigan
Trailering
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help with my 96 chuggin psd

i had a problem with the ipr i rebuilt it with new o-ring kit and it seemed to fix the staling problem that i had at about 3 miles from my house. now it seems like it is back. about 3 miles from the house is starts missing bad. i think that i lost a few teeth from it. anyhow my oil seems a little foamy when i check it after the episode and once it is fully warmed up it seems to go away and will run fine all day. but once it cools down is starts a little hard but runs ok till it starts to warm up then it is back to missing for a few miles.. this problem started out small and is getting worse. any help would be very appreciated. i have been layed off for a wile now and the dealer seems out of reach for a wile. could it be the oil. i usually run rotella 15w40 in summer and 10w30 in winter. i couldn't find any 10w30 so i used 15w40 and i also tried lucus additive. i think that might be the culprit so i will be dumping the oil later today and going back to 10w30..

Old 12-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
Never, ever , ever add oil additives!!!!!!!!!!! The oil that is recommend for our trucks has an anti foaming agent in it. So adding the lucas pretty much deleted it. Change oil ASAP!! What 10/30 are you using? I'd stick with the 15/40 or if it is really cold in your area use synthetic.

Last edited by Domino'sDiesel; 12-17-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:20 PM
jasonmichigan
Trailering
ya i think that i found that one out on my own domino.. unfortunatly i didn't find this site before i used the lucus. anyhow it will be hitting the recycle bin first thing in the morning and i will be refilling with rotella 10w30. also i think that i have over filled on the last change when i added the lucus and from what i have read that could be the reason it is foaming. the crank dips in the oil. it is only about a qt. over. but i will have that fixed in the am. thanks anyhow for your info i should have known better..

Old 12-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Domino'sDiesel
Senior User
How did you make out? Solve your problem?

Old 12-22-2004, 09:20 AM
jasonmichigan
Trailering
i think so i ended up changing the oil on tue. and all was good on tue. but it was a little warmer on tue. i think that it is a little colder today and i am curious to see how the warmup goes. it only seems to do it at a certain part of warmup. about 4 miles from the house. i had almost the same problem before and i rebuilt the ipr and it cured it. i can't believe that i put that stuff in my engine. what a dumb a**

anyhow thanks dude. i guess i will have to give it a few more days to figure it out .i will get back and post the results though.. take care..jt

Old 12-22-2004, 10:44 AM
jasonmichigan
Trailering
well just ran to town and the miss is back.. right at the end of warmup.. i think that i am going to replace that injection presure regulator as i have had problems with it before unless anybody has any other ideas.. is there a way for me to check that regulator or do i just go to international and pay the 115 dollars??????

thanks fellas..

Old 01-12-2005, 11:25 PM
jasonmichigan
Trailering
got busy taking care of all the business i neglected wile the truck wouldn't run. finally got it figured out and wanted to post the results. a buddy had a spare cps rattlin in his glove box and wanted me to try it.. been running great ever since. so chalk up another cps. hope that this one lasts as long as the last one did. got 230,000 miles out of that one.

thank domino for the help and this site rocks. jason