1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

61 unibody purchase

Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 PM
rajncajn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
61 unibody purchase

Ive been reading threads here and there, but still have many questions swimming in my head. I've found a 61 unibody swb, sight unseen, and before I go and look, I'd like a quick list on what I should be loooking for. Rust is my main concern and the guy indicated golfball sized rust in front of the drivers door and on the tailgate. He drives it on occasion and is road worthy and the carb was rebuilt last summer. Its a small window. What price range would be appropriate. He stated in the ad $2500 obo. I'm going on Saturday to take a look and wanted to know exactly what will make or break this deal. I'll be taking pictures to post here this weekend to recieve feedback if this is a keeper. Thanks for your repsonses in advance.

Chris.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:45 PM
nick65f100
Senior User
Chris, for 2500 you should be looking at a rust free, very mechanicaly sound truck. Areas prone to rust on the unis are cab mounts, cab supports, tailgate, and what Ive heard called a torque box which is located behind the cab under the bed and was installed to keep these trucks from twisting. 2500 is fairly high unless its been reatored, however it isnt unheard of by any means. Things that are nice are V8, shortbed, decent tires, good tailgate and so on. Spending a little extra (particularly if you are planning on fixin it up) in the short term can save you some serious cash in the long run. Ive bought two slicks, I got taken on the first by a "friend", and bought the second on ebay and got what I think was a steal. So you live and learn.

Hope that helps.

Nick

Hope that helps

Old 07-14-2006, 05:23 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Chris, Welcome to FTE and the 61-66 forum.

I concour with Nick, we are not down to the last few trucks just yet. Some areas of the country have few to select from because of winter salt, in other areas there are many.

Take your time, you have the rest of your life to work on it. It is nothing worse than to find that you have paid a thousand too much and will cost you two thousand more just because you couldn't wait.

John

Old 07-14-2006, 07:55 AM
rajncajn
New User
thanks for the solid advice. ohh, I have plenty of time. I just haven't seen many uni's around here and saw this one in the paper. I'm going to go look at it just to get my feet wet. My wife and I just had a baby boy 3 weeks ago. I wan't a daily driver (not in winter) and when it's time, my son and I can mess around on the truck. I have 94 bronco I've slightly modified and will do some more in the future. This way we will have moab rock crawler and also a street machine for local cruise ins. What better way to raise your boy. Thanks again for the replies.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:26 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
People who have uni's truly think they have something unique - and always want a premium for them. My guess is that he will not take a lot less than he advertised it for.

I suggest you forget it is a uni, and look at it like you would any other project. Once you have an idea what it would be worth to you as a straight truck, then add whatever premium you are willing to pay for the uni part. My guess is that he will not accept it - so just keep his phone number and call him in a few weeks to see if he still has it.

FTE member Code3 posted a great suggestion on buying trucks - I copied it to my hard drive and read it before I look at anything. I suggest you read it . . .

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ighlight=code3
post number 24.

This could save you lots of money, and, like he said, it always works sometimes . . .

Old 07-14-2006, 10:15 PM
redf1001962
Freshman User
as far as whatbto look for in the rust dept, I think (imho) the cab mounts, floorboards, and cab behind the seat. I have just spent the last year working (as time allowed) on these areas. also I believe the best advice I have read is "you should not try to restore a daily driver". that said I love my truck! good luck and take your time in finding/buying.

redf100

Old 07-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
From my past experience the phone calls/inquiries go like this:

Ringo: I see you have a uni for sale.. $2500. Has it been restored?

$eller: No, it's been sitting out beside the barn since 1976

Ringo: Is it a Mercury? Big back window? shortbox? Automatic? something special to make it worth $2500?

$eller: It's a Unibody. Only one I have ever seen around these parts.

Ringo: Where do you live again? ...I saw 2 down the road from your place.... Does it run?

$eller: Well we didn't clean the mouse nest out of the air cleaner yet but we think it might start. It ran when we parked it there in '76. Wish we had rolled up the windows tho.

Ringo: OK see ya then.

Everyone who has one in their yard in whatever delapidated state thinks they are worth their weight in gold. The problem is, when they find out they aren't, they get all discouraged and send them off to the crusher. They want a pile for them, or nothing it seems...

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 07-15-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:59 PM
SCWIDVICIOUS
Elder User
thats true with a lot of different other cars too. I know the 56 are worth a lot but this one...lol
Let me tell ya,
I looked at a 56 ford about 2 years ago. there was nothing left of it but part of its front fenders, and some of the cab, and most of the frame, the rest had fell off from rusting. glass was busted, floors were gone, bed was gone, but it would run..lol In fact it ran great.

That dude wanted over 5000 for it! it needed everything new, and I mean everything.
When he said 5000,
I said....did you say 5000?
He said yup.
That truck continued to set there for 2 years, and only recently it went away. I think it rusted away till he had to send it off.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:07 PM
rajncajn
New User
well, i went to look at it first thing this morning. all i can say is that i'm dissapointed. on the phone i asked about rust, and he mention two minor areas. i specifically asked about the floorboards and he said he really hasn't looked. yeah right. took me two seconds to determine the floorboards were toast, as were the cab mounts. the torque box was intacked, but had plenty of rust everywhere. he seemed exactly as one of you had mentioned, won't settle for anything less. also, his paint job was a roller job with white house paint. It ran good, really good. but like all of you have said, take my time and find a good specimen. i would have taken pics but it wasn't worth my time, nor yours. thxs again for the advice. I'll be around searching till i find the right one.

chris.

Search this Thread