2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring up a third brake light for a cap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
stangman67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring up a third brake light for a cap?

My gf's dad just got a new F150. Is there a wire or something tied up in the rear for a third brake light hookup? I know that my dads Super Duty did, so I thought maybe Ford did the same. If not, how could I do hook it up on the newer trucks? Thanks

Old 12-18-2004, 07:14 AM
PSDForever
New User
Stang, I've been told that there is a light green wire in the plastic loom covering the wires that go to the drivers rear brake light assembly. Possibly closer to the frame where the bumper bolts on. Also possibly tied back with green colored tape.

I need to do the same thing, but I've not had time to get under the truck and check. Please let me know if you find it.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2004, 11:48 AM
HSimpson
New User
PSDForever is right, but the green wire is in the wire harness underneath the truck below the driver. There is a black cover that snaps off the frame that shields the connections for the rear wire harness. Should be able to find the loose wire under the tape. Hope this helps.

Old 12-18-2004, 01:07 PM
PSDForever
New User
HSimpson, can I see the wire without taking the black cover off?

If not, can you describe a little better where the black cover is? I see some connections above the spare tire. Do I need to drop the tire to find the plastic cover? Is it inside the frame, or back near the bumper?

Thanks

-- Orig message ---

PSDForever is right, but the green wire is in the wire harness underneath the truck below the driver. There is a black cover that snaps off the frame that shields the connections for the rear wire harness. Should be able to find the loose wire under the tape. Hope this helps.

Old 12-18-2004, 01:09 PM
HSimpson
New User
The black cover is below the driver on the frame behind the driverside front tire. You will have to remove the cover to get at the wire.

Old 12-18-2004, 02:00 PM
PSDForever
New User
Thanks Hsimpson. I was hoping it was located near the rear bumper, but I can always run a little wire.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll go out and look for the black plastic cover you described this afternoon when I get a break from the honey do list!