4.2 V6: The good....(forget the bad and the ugly)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:38 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4.2 V6: The good....(forget the bad and the ugly)

All of us regulars seem to be pretty happy with our F150 w/ 4.2 V6. I thought it would be cool to post a sticky for us to share our positive experiences, whatever the story. The 4.2 has gotten a bad reputation because of the early gasket failures. BUT, I think there is MUCH more to the story than that!
So, with that said, I'll start....

Currently I have 118,000 miles on my 2000 model (pic in my gallery). I still have OEM rear brakes on.
It has been the MOST TROUBLE FREE vehicle I have ever owned. I have had one ABS sensor fail last December. Total cost of repair: $19 and 10 minutes of my time.
I have used 10W30 oil all along and it doesn't burn any that I can tell between 5000 mile drain intervals. Half a dozen used oil analysis indicate the oil and engine are working great together.
I added a MAC intake and like it. It looks "cool" and, since I'll be 42 years old the end of March, makes me feel "younger".

I'm not into street racing but one time I did get behind a full size Chevy as we entered the entrance lane to the Interstate........
He had dual exhaust and you could tell it was a V8. He turned left in front of me from oncoming traffic and entered the ramp just in front of me. He looked me right in the eyes as he rolled onto the ramp in front of me. As soon as I pulled in behind him, he nailed the gas. I had suspected what was about to occur and was fairly high in the RPM range in 2nd gear. I couldn't resist and went flat-to-the-mat. The Interstate was clear and we entered at about 90 mph. He never pulled away from me. I was not right on his bumper (safety concern) but it was clear to both of us I never lost ground. I was happy to know my V6 had just held its own against a Chevy V8.

So, there you have it. A brief summary of why I like my 4.2 V6.

You guys take it from here......

Last edited by BrianA; 03-11-2004 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-24-2004, 03:23 PM
paulv107
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right on!

I get tired of people saying that the 4.2 is a piece of junk and that they are slow and everything. And this is from people who do not or have never owned one. They say is isn't a truck unless it has a V8.

I have had 2 F150's now, both with the 4.2L V6. I had a 2000 regular cab F150 with the 5 speed and now I have a 2002 supercab F150 with the auto tranny. I have not had one single problem so far mechanically in almost 4 1/2 years of owning a 4.2L. I have even pulled a car and trailer over a 1000 miles with the truck overloaded and still never had problems with the truck. I have never raced the truck, but I am sure that I could hold my ground against many other trucks.

The only problem that I have had in either truck is the tires leaking air because of the valve stems.

Old 02-24-2004, 03:29 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Best experience thus far was running it at the track. I can't find words to express how fun that is! Funny thing is, the day I ran it at my track, I Honda broke it's axle on take off, and another Honda dropped oil once it got to the end of the track. I ran my truck 8 times in a row, and it didn't even faze my truck. You know how you can usually smell that rich smelling overheated coolant? It never even touched my nose. I love my track and plan on having it for a loooooong time!

Old 02-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Drizzt
Senior User
I haven't had a problem with mine, and it's got over 194k (km) on it. i just recently changed the plugs and am getting more than 35 more kilometers out of each tank

Old 02-24-2004, 09:58 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
Nice truck

Mine is so new I still wipe my shoes when I get it. But the 4.2 is a nice engine. You can change the oil in a snap, the spark plugs are in plain view and I can see every accessory in the engine bay. For a home mechanic it dosn't get any better than that. I found it was easy to add my own fog lights, and the 6 CD stereo is nice for an aging 44 year old. Ohh my 12 year old daughter said COOL when I put the go pedal about 3/4 to the floor and the V6 rumbled.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:40 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought mine used in Feb. 2002. I had the lower intake gaskets replaced Nov. 2002. I still say mine could not fall out of a tree fast,but I still like it and will keep it!

Old 02-25-2004, 10:51 AM
sigma
Senior User
Currently I have 110,000 miles on my 1998 model and the truck still runs and looks new. The truck has faithfully towed and/or hauled everything I have wanted to move (including several huge loads of sand that I did not want to be moving). The truck has run virtually trouble free for all those miles with a failed starter being the only problem I have experienced. The V6 has decent pep as is, but responds very well to minor performance modifications and still gets around 20 MPG combined city/highway. I have little doubt that baring a major catastrophe the little six will be running strong at double or triple my current mileage.

Old 02-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Lcashmer
Senior User
I'm very happy with my 97. I have 118,00 on it.

I tow a ski boat and have had great luck with it. I had a radiator leak a few weeks back and swapped out the radiator. I had a vac hose problem to the PCV, but that's it.

It's a fun engine and a fun truck. So much so that rather than but new, I'm dressing this one up.

Louis

Old 02-25-2004, 07:35 PM
SkinnyNate
New User
I love mine also!!!
I have done way more to it and with it than most would suggest. It has NEVER failed me! I've out raced riceburners, V8 trucks and even a couple mustang GT's. I have raced the sand drags at Glamis and did very well. I've jumped it there also. (all before the SC) And then still trusted it to tow 5,000lbs for 3,000 miles strait! It did it all with out a single problem!

Old 02-27-2004, 11:05 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 531 Likes on 300 Posts
acadianbob

well mine is only 3 years old and 38M miles but i couldn't be happier with my 4.2. it uses no detectable amount of oil in 5,000 mile oil change intervals; regularly gets 19.5 mpg all summer and 16 mpg all winter; easily hauls any rock/gravel within vehicle limits; pulls our travel trailer effortlessly. we averaged 18mpg pulling our travel trailer on a 4M mile trip driving 70 mph in 5th gear!! it starts great at -25F. what more could you ask?

i couldn't care less about "track times". this is a truck and is used as a truck.

4x4 5 speed reg cab 8ft bed 3.55s, 17" wheels.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Ranger354
Freshman User
Hello, I do not post often, just lurk. I own a 2000 XL 4X4 bone stock. The only change I have made is the last oil change I changed to 10/30 from the 5/30. I noticed a few days ago that there are not a lot of 4X's on this forum but there are a couple. I don't put a lot of miles on a vehicle. My truck still has less than 38000. I bought it for a couple of reasons. My last Bronco didn't like long interstate runs pulling my 18' Bass Boat, didn't have air (you would be amazed how hot a bronco can get!!:-)) and the termites were working overtime on it. The truck doesn't mind the boat, In fact put over 120 miles on it today, 75-80 interstate mph most of the run. The 4.2 hasn't failed me yet. Gas mileage could be a little better. But, I've owned Fords since I was 16. I'm 45 now and have never had one that got real good mileage. Gas mileage and HP don't seem to go together. I tend to keep vehicles a long time. Ask my in 5 years if I still like the 4.2. Thanks for the forums. It helps when you want to make a change, (the oil for example) that we have a place to ask.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:58 PM
Busa01
Postmaster
I'm here!

My problem with all my vehicles is not the vehicle itself breaking, but me breaking it.

Everytime I buy something i modify it so much and flip flop back in forth with modifications that I always end up breaking something.

You guys know, in the short 6 months i've owned my truck since I bought it new, that I've ran it at the track at least 30 times....ran nitrous through it.....installed a 7.5" lift kit.....got it stuck overnight in the mud after several days bashing the daylights out of it mudding......and for a brand new truck, i beat the everyloving (you know what) out of it.

And after all this beating, the only thing that ever broke was the Auburn Differential I put in the rear (piece of junk, I still have to get it replaced, my truck is clunking all over the place).

The only thing I dislike about my truck is the gas mileage. I don't know how some of you guys get such good mileage but I'm only getting 13 or 14 at best overall. Buuuuuuttttt, look at my truck, it's a freakin' pig and a half.

I love my F150 and plan on doing ALOT more to it. My Mickey Thompson rims are coming in tomorrow and then it's up to 35's on the tires. I plan on paying my truck off and keeping it for a very very long time.

Tom

Old 03-01-2004, 07:01 PM
TMS
New User
I bought mine in Sept of 03. I traded in my 93 Ranger that ran forever. I LOVE this truck. The 4.2 has enough power for me and after the Diablo sport chip, MAC intake, and Flowmaster 40 it's rather responsive. I put about 100 miles a day on it and have had no problems at all. The next thing is to put a 2/4 drop on it, and when money allows new rims and tires.

As Ranger354 said, Thanks for the forums.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:15 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TMS,
Welcome to FTE and the 4.2 forum! Glad you found us and hope you stick around.
I am really glad to see guys post in this thread. Along with so many others - or so it would seem - I love my truck.

I can't imagine there is any other truck that would have delivered any better overall customer satisfaction for $16,700 brand new.

118,000 miles and going strong!!

Old 03-01-2004, 07:43 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
I love my truck. I got it after halfway through my first duty station in california. I drove it from Az to Cali the next weekend and had no problems. Like Tom, I started modding this thing from the get go. I went the other route than he did, I stayed low to the ground and added a SC. The SC getting the final bugs worked out, but I have NEVER had a problem with my truck before. I did kill the battery this past weekend, and that is the ONLY major problem Ive had *knock on wood* Heh

I love this truck. I really do....Im 6'2 240 pounds (no jokes Tom!) And am very comfortable. I have had a ranger, and drove a dakota, 1500 Ram...I just didnt like the way they felt. There is none better....almost 70,000 miles later, Im still goin on!

Garrett

Quick Reply: 4.2 V6: The good....(forget the bad and the ugly)