General Automotive Discussion

Ford Trucks RIP. A place to talk about your trucks last ride.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 09:20 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Trucks RIP. A place to talk about your trucks last ride.

I see several times on other threads or topic about what happens to your trucks demise. So I thought why not have a thread or topic area where you can tell what happened to your truck, if you want post pics of the dearly departed.
Or as in some cases a hardluck time for the truck and its road to recovery.
I'm sorry I cannot start with any memorial of any of my trucks, for they are still with me. But this would also give us members a place to talk of the truck and recieve sympathy and condolances from other members.
Well do you guys say?

Old 12-11-2004, 10:31 PM
psu1xj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey!

Well, mine is pretty hard to beat, I think.

Late summer, 1997. Wife and I were getting ready to graduate from college in the spring. I got us all dressed up and loaded in my '88 F-250 4x4 (302, 5-sp., 33x12.5 BGF MTs) and drove down to one of my favorite spots - just at the edge of the Chesapeke Bay down on Tilghman Island. I'm racing the sunset all the way down to the last spit of land - and made it - in time to kneel down on the rocks by the water and propose to her as the sky turned purple, orange, and red.

She said yes! :-)

I helped her back up in and we headed up toward St. Michaels. It was getting on towards dusk, I was cruising along towards our special dinner - about 50 mph. We got just to the edge of town, passing a high-zoot retirement/golf/yacht development with an entrance opening from the left, into the main road we're on. Just as I passed the entrance, a guy in a bimmer floored it out of the community, accross the oncoming lane, and t-boned my truck just at the back edge of the driver's rear wheel-well.

Time slowed down (of course) as my tailgate made a long sweep around through the shoulder and back into my lane (now ahead of us, 'cause we're facing backward). As we passed through about 160 degrees from the way we were facing we entered the oncoming lane and my front right fender and BFG attempted to occupy the same space as the A pillar of a small pontiac. That impact continued our circle and we spun accross the road, coming to a stop with the rear wheels in the ditch on the on-coming side and the nose pointing more or less in the direction we had originall been coming. All-in-all, about 340 degrees around.

After making sure my new fiance was o.k. (bruised arm, but that was all) I grabbed a flashlight and ran to the Pontiac. I spent the next 20 minutes on my knees in the broken glass by the Grand Am (in my tie and nice clothes) trying to convince the badly injured driver to sit still until the paramedics got to the scene. After she settled a bit, I got up and found some by-standers. After making repeated requests for *SOMEONE* to call 911 (I could have been talking to concrete garden gnomes for all the response I got), I got back to my fiance and poor, hammered truck. I glanced around under it, but couldn't tell much in the dark, besides that the right fender/tire/wheel, etc. was pretty trashed. I reached under the dash and hit the impact-fuel-cut-off switch, started it up and backed farther out of the road.

Cops came, took statements, I spent some time talking to a woman who proved to be the at-fault driver's wife ("I told him "DON'T GO" but he didn't see you!") And finally a state trooper gave us a lift to the wrecking hard where my truck was towed.

His words of encouragement? "So, you still going to marry him?"

We walked the few blocks to the restaurant where I had had reservations, about 1-1/2 hours late by then. They seated us graciouisly and several of the wait staff came out to talk to us -- they'd been listening to the report on the scanner in the kitchen! :-)

The next day I returned to the wrecker's yard to strip my stuff & tools out of the rig. I sureveyed the damage with the yard manager and pretty much knew it was totaled. The manager called my attention to the right front tire, which was wrapped with a large mis-matched piece of sheet metal. That turned out to be the Pontiac's driver door skin.

And that was the last time I saw my truck. Still have the wife, though!

All's well that ends.

-Sam

Last edited by psu1xj; 12-11-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Jeeze, and I thought mine was good.
My truck started having a problem where if you took a tight corner, it would attempt to complete a full circle while I tried to yank the steering wheel straight. The last time this happened, I was on my way to take the truck off the road, and get my 69 F-250 up and running. It pulled especially hard, spun around, and wound up in the ditch facing the other way. I locked the hubs in, pulled out of the ditch, and continued on to the shop. The truck is now scrapped.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:12 AM
66gpw
Postmaster
Talking

Now that is what I call a hell of a marriage proposal.
My proposal was interesting, but not like that.
I would wonder if my future bride would still want me after that.
Marriage proposals unique or comical or action pack could be another topic that would be of interest. Someone could start that topic, Heh.

Old 12-12-2004, 04:35 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a look at my gallery, I got T-boned at like 40-50 mph.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:00 AM
furball69
Postmaster
I work on a drilling rig and go out for two weeks at a time; back in October the day before I had to leave for work I went out about noon to pick up some supplies and the first place I stop, grab my stuff, get in, start it and put it in reverse and she died. Putzed around with it for half an hour, call a tow truck, try to get it going for an hour while waiting; no luck. I get it towed home and putz around with it for another half hour and it is now 3:15 pm and I still have to be leaving at 07:00 the next morning for a 350 mile drive to work so I call a cab and go to the dealership. Get to the dealership at 3:45 and was driving home with the new truck at 5:30.

It turns out it was something simple, which I pretty much knew, I just didn't have time to deal with it just in case it wasn't something that simple. An electric solenoid that shuts off vacuum to the propane lock when fuel is switched to gas somehow got tripped and shut off my propane. The interim fix was to re-route the vacuum directly to the propane lock from the manifold, I just can't run it on gas until I get a new solenoid. The truck is parked in the yard where I work and I will probably sell it.

My brother had a 70 something F150 with a 302 that started on fire on his way home from work one day and he ended up selling it.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:42 AM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Not a sad story but I just sold my truck today. So I can replace it with a 97 F150. both trucks are in my Gallery. Sentimental though because problems with the 95 led me to this site and all you wonderful people.

Chris

Old 12-12-2004, 02:39 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I have the pics in my gallery.

To make a long story short, a guy pulled out in front of me on the freeway and I rear-ended him with my camper in tow.

The best part was his insurance paid for it, even though I rear-ended him!

Old 12-12-2004, 07:26 PM
canzus
Elder User
It's been 7 years since my '57 F100 died, and I still
miss it. SWMBO and I took my '57 to town to buy
a stereo for my, new to me, '63 F100. We came out
and noticed, almost instantly, the truck was missing.
Called police, and a friend to get a ride home, and
wait by the phone for a report of they'd found the
truck. I should mention, Rockette and I spent our
first date at the races with this truck... Two days
later, I get the call from the State Patrol, They have
my truck, unfortunately, it ain't repairable, as the
****** that stole it, decided it would be a good idea
to try and outrun the officer who was chasing him,
lost control, and got center punched by a couple of
old people in a late model chub,with a camper strapped
to it. 15 years I owned that truck, can you say depressed??

SteveL

Old 12-12-2004, 08:46 PM
websthes
Postmaster
i was driving to visit my mom when i blew my transmission. it was the middle of the night on the interstate so i made a run for it, limped all the way there. at first i figured no problem, i'll borrow my mom's car to find another transmission and everything will be ok.

but her husband made such a fuss about the truck being in the driveway i got in an argument with my mom. i had just bought a house and didn't have the cash for another vehicle or take it to a shop to get it repaired. i told my mom i felt he was being unreasonable considering they have two garages and a huge driveway but i'd lost my temper and i think she'd made up her mind she was siding with her husband on this one. my truck but his house so he got to decide

i ended up donating the truck to some charity, the guy was glad to take it, and i gave the $5000 tax receipt to my mom and she gave me like 1500$ which is what her husband figured the tax break was worth. then mom paid a car rental so me and my girlfriend could go home. it was a great deal since i was sick of the whole thing and just wanted to get out of there.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:21 PM
bnlange
New User
A long time ago, in a Toyota truck, my son and I were driving down a highway close to where I live to pick up some burgers. He was only six at the time, and was talking up a storm next to me. I had just turned to look at him a moment as I was answering one of his many questions, when I turned back an saw a large dully truck right in front of me. Apparently some older woman (82) had decided she could race across the highway in between the traffic, and didn't make it. Both my sona nd I had our seat belts on, and to this day I don't remember hiting the brakes, but the marks on the ground showed I had locked the tires up a good twenty feet before we T-boned her. The skid marks made this strange right hand slant where we had hit her and drove part way under her truck, being drug along by the larger vehicle. I remember it happened so quickly, that after it happened, I sat there looking around trying to figure out what had just happened. Everything was quiet, except fo the sounds of my truck dying. Escaping gasses from the ari conditioner and radiator, and some other sounds. All the windows had exploded, and my truck had crushed to the point where I was almost in a metal glove. My son hadn't been hit by anything, just the seatbelt. Both of us had this horrific bruise going across our chests from the belts digging into us and I had to get some stitches. I was ablt to finally get out, and my son and I stood looking at the wreck. I could find anyone in the other vehicle, as she had simply got out and walked away. She was apparently on a lot of drugs from surgery the day before, and didn't fully realize what had happened. Standing and looking at the wreck, all these police, ambulance, and fire trucks suddenly came roaring up, and they stood around looking at the wreck as well. I told a policeman I had been in the Toyota, and he said he was amazed as I was supposed to be dead. A few of the other paramedics and fireman said the same thing to me later. I still miss that truck, but now I have a F250 diesel. Fair trade, I guess. Oh yeah, the next day really hurt!

Old 12-13-2004, 11:13 AM
1970f2504x4
Posting Guru
My truck is still on the road

Years back I had a Che*y 2500 pickup. I sold it using eBay. I drove it to our firehouse where I met the buyer. That's the last I saw or heard of it, it went up to NY state somewhere. Less than a year later I had my Ford. Although it likes to sometimes think it's on it's last ride, he's still goin'.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:21 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Recently sent in my '74 F250 for "recycling" ... eventually to come back to us as Made-in-China kid's bikes or something else sold by Wally-mart.

My brother bought it brand-new when I was 8 - I got it when I was 20 or so. Just got rid of it 19 years later. Nice bumped-up 390, cab rusted to swiss-cheese, bed not much better. Running gear was in pretty decent shape but 205NP had to get new shafts because the yoke splines were worn out beyond repair (too much of that 3500RPM clutch slip at full throttle) Couldn't keep it on the road, so the village says "no unregistered vehicles on residential property" ... gotta get rid of it in 30 days. Ripped everything off it I could, sent some parts to Carlisle with a friend, and at least got some cash out of it. Still have lots of parts though, hanging around, can't seem to get the ambition to get rid of them - kept the ash-tray and the glove-box door with the "Custom" badge on it

Old 12-13-2004, 02:41 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The pic's of my brand new 79 F150 4x4 that was about 1 year old when I wrecked it are in the gallery. Long story short, I was 18 at the time and was in a big hurry to get back into town with my buddy's and decided to not stop for a stop sign (bad mistake). I missed seeing that chebby blazer in my blind spot and he hit me in the passenger side of the bed of my truck and flipped me over on top of a car. That was a said day for me.

Old 12-13-2004, 05:56 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 79 E150, and my 97 Mercury Mountaineer became submarines the night of 7/12/04, during a flood. Both were in up to the roof so they both got towed. Never saw them again. But I still have other Fords and I always will.

Quick Reply: Ford Trucks RIP. A place to talk about your trucks last ride.