6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Inverters VS Belt Driven Genset

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 04:43 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inverters VS Belt Driven Genset

Looking to add either a 3000watt continues load/ 5000 watt max surge (22amps) or 5000watt/10,000watt (41 amps) inverter or a equilivent belt driven gen set to my truck. Has anyone done this and what are the pros and cons.

2004 F350 with 6.0

The inverter seems to be a simple install operation. I occasionaly find myself out in the middle of nowwere and needing to run power tools and other items. I do have a portalble gen set but that thing is such a pain to lug around plus it burns gas like I eat chocolate. My concern is will the charging system and dual batteries be capable to meet the demands. I guess the highest loads draws would be 1500-2000 watts but the surge could be around 3500 start up.

As for the belt driven gen set. The install seem costly. Beyond my mechanical capabilities.

Anyway just looking for some feedback.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
The problem with inverters is that they aren't inexpensive either for a decent pure sine wave one. There are some lower cost units out there if you can get by without a pure sine wave to power your gear - for tools this is probably the case.

The the concern would be the DC power input to the inverter. A 5,000 W inverter is going to draw at least 363 A at 13.8 VDC input and the 10,000 W unit will draw twice that. I say at least that much current because the inverter isn't 100% efficient and at those kinds of currents, the I^2*R losses in you feed wire will be significant too. Make darn sure that you have a fuse in there

You will need some pretty stout wire.

I have a Honda 2000 EU generator that is pretty good on gas. It will handle many of the power tools that I've thrown at it. They do make a 3000 W version too, or you can link two of the 2000 W generators together to get 4000 W.

The good part about using a generator, belt driven or stand alone is that you won't use up all your batteries and then not be able to start the truck out in the middle of nowhere

Old 12-05-2004, 10:39 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

I was looking at either the Xantrex Prowatt 3000 ($795), modified sine. Comes with #4/0 cable or the Xantrex Xpro 3000 ($595) with same cable. I wish they would list the input apms required. I did look at some of the pure sine at the same amps but $1500+. I will give them a call and ask tommorrow. Glad you brought that up since I havent read anything about amp draws that high. I would more than likely be using power tools, ext and will have the truck motor running. Would be nice to be able to plug in the RV so I could use the Microwave for those quick roadside stops. That was another reason for the above. I usually drag around the 6500 watt gen set but what a beast. Most places we go have full hook up so if I could drop that item it would make things better at times.

I saw an issue of trucks were they had a belt driven gen set with the power units in the rear of the truck. Have not had much luck finding it on the net. Will keep looking. Summer is still 7 months away.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:16 AM
RCKYMTN-PSD
Elder User
I bought a new Coleman 3000 watt inverter on ebay for about $275 shipped. The seller is a dealer and always has them on there. Its worked great for me, I did hook up a additional battery. I use it with the truck off unless I need for a long use then I let the truck idle to keep the batteries charged.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Catfish_Man
Senior User
If you want to generate that much juice. You are very much beyond any reasonable capability of any "cigarette lighter adapter" inverter.

However, really you are better off cost-wise in every respect (including fuel usage and install costs with a portable unit if you can handle one at home or on a job site.)

These units are called "Generators" But they in the end provide alternating AC power. Some of their advantages include electronic load and frequency control. Some portable units can now provide "very near computer grade power" in terms of output even under varying load conditions. I you want to run a circular saw or you heat comes on at the same time you are running a computer then this is probably your best choice....portable power. This type of unit typically does not operate at such power levels while on the road, and while the engine RPM varies.

If all you want to do is just heat and ventilate a chicken house during an ice storm then power quality is not a huge issue and, there are much cheaper alternatives, and these needs might could be run by a small tractor diesel with a good RPM govenor and a PTO driven generator (But most of the tractor PTO models are 10 KW and up). You can install a PTO or belt driven alternator on your vehicle for this purpose as well. (problem is it may take your prime source of transportation away from you for several days???)

Also, if you are thinking about having your vehicle provide power to your house during weather related outages, keep in mind that your will likely spend many times over in costs of retrofitting your vehicle compared to a portable unit that you could retrofit to your vehicle. The vehicle mechanical mods for a SUV or Pick-Up are very expensive....whether belt or PTO driven in the end. (It's expensive to run a 300 Horsepower engine to only supply 3Kw of power.)

If you have a need for only about 3Kw of intermittant stationary power for your home and job site needs, a good portable generator that you can haul around is likely your best choice.

If you need 3KW of continuous computer grade power while you are moving or on the road, then you need to contact a consultant in the area of portable power.

I'd guess a good portable unit carried in or mounted in the bed of your pick-up would be your most economical choice and likely your best choice overall.

Some of the new units like from Honda and Yamaha have great specs, and should be reliable if properly maintained. Most people would consider one of these for smaller power requirements for continuous power for a few days a year or for job site power. Keep in mind that maintenance on a small engine generator requires more frequent oil changes, and also perhaps frequent refueling because of the usual smaller fuel tank sizes. (Somehow you have to get the fuel to the power source if it is operating for any extended period and it can't be interupted.)

Tell us more about your intended purpose for your power requirements. What is the end load that you intend to power?

Old 12-06-2004, 03:35 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

My power usage would range from power tools to lights and other various items. I do have a generator that I lug around in the back of my truck but was hoping to get away from that. Some of the places I go camping and 4-wheeling are well away from any electricl source. The gen set I have is probley 150 pounds and not the smallest item. I have given some thought to buying a smaller generator but those are also not cheap. Just looking at alternative ideas.

I did do some further reading and it appears as if 1 standard car battery can handle approximatley a 1000 watt inverter, with a standard 100 amp alternator. More watts, more batteries, more amps from the alternator. I think a smaller inverter, around 1000, would do for most of the tools. I was hoping to be able to run a compressor but I know that requires quite some amps to run.

I have located a belt driven alternator from Fabco. Company that supplies Fire Trucks, commerical trucks ect. Waiting from a word back to see if they make a add on kit for the 6.0. 3500 and 4500 watt models. Price for the units are $925 & $1025. Voltage regulators are an additional $300. Back to the price of that small genset.

The other use was to have the ability to plug in the Travel Trailer on those short stops for lunch, ect so I could use some of the 120-v items. I only have a 30amp power source and my current genset handels the load fine. A small genset would handle most of the items minus the AC.

If nothing works out I will just have to keep lugging around the gen set.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Catfish_Man
Senior User
Lug around the genset!

You are going to have to recharge that battery sometime. Fuel for Watts is still a whole lot cheaper than buying a new battery every few months or so.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:19 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Looking like I might have to. Or at least get a smaller one that is not as cumberson. For those occasional needs of higher power I no the inverter just will not do. I did talk with a tech at Xaneth and was told to run the 3000 watt inverter effenciently he suggested a bank of 7-9 batteries. Heck a few more and maybe I could have a hybrid truck, just kidding. No I have pretty much given up on the inverter idea.

Will have to get a big chain to lock up the current genset so no one will still it when I am out in the boonies.

The current genset is not the most fuel efficient thing but it will run everything I need to run.

Old 12-06-2004, 08:53 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
I have installed and used many inverters that will provide a steady 2500 watts in heavy trucks. In addition to the 2 stock batteries, we install 2 extras with an isolator so that only so much power can be pulled to the 2 extra batteries and that they only are charged from the alternator and not from the 2 truck batteries, therefore you can run them down and still not have a problem starting the truck engine. These are used by utility power/ telephone companies and they power numerous tools and lights off of them. I have used them on their trucks when working on the trucks in the field. It's nice to have that power for lights when you need to work at night and not have to have the truck running (i.e. the truck WON"T run). Really, 7-9 batts.???? not necessary from my experience and I don't know if you've looked under that hood or not, but there's barely room for a 2nd alternator, let alone a genset to provide a/c. Another option is a hydraulically driven generator that you can run from a very small belt driven hyd. pump and then use a higher speed motor and run at idle, but that would require more work than the inverter. Bottom line, I have used the inverters with only 2 extra batteries (which can be installed UNDER the truck) and have had no problems.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
If you have the extra separate batteries and have them isolated from the main truck batteries then you could use deep cycle RV batteries that are designed to be run down and then recharged repeatedly.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:32 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

This was another idea that was passed on to me. Not sure why he stated 7-9 batteries. I have seen similiar set up with 2 or 3 batteries.

I have until May before the trips begin so still have plenty of time to weigh all of the options.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
I just ordered 2 new 3500 watt inverters today for a customer that we are going to install in their trucks. They have automatic shut-off battery protection that can be set at 9-11 volts. The deep cycles are what we use, very strong reliable steady power.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 AM
templedat
New User
emergency power

I know that this is a older thread but if you just want to power some small tools ,TV etc... and can figure out how to run it off one battery there is a article at www.jimporter.org/tipster/tipster107.shtm1 or you could try old fishing tipster fishing tips and tricks gary