Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Mig welding/ welders

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:41 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=1952henry]I bought a Craftsman 110v a year ago and couldn't be happier. It is not live all the time, just when it is grounded and you pull the trigger.

The one I had was live when grounded, but didn't have to pull the trigger for it to arc. I didn't want to be pulling the ground all the time, besides, for tacking,it is very bad as it would arc before I was ready, due to the trigger only controling the wire feed and gas valve. Perhaps you have a different machine than I did, but that was my experience. Also, don't totally discount the experiences of others either, as it can save you some troubles and disappointments. I welded for a living for over 7 years before my back made it to where I can no longer secure a living in that field. I was only using the machine for light welding, and it was a severe disappointment for that, welding floor pans took forever because I had to wait for the heat reset every couple of minutes. I had only a 15 foot heavy duty extension cord. If I plugged it directly into the wall it was fine, but it's awful hard to get to parts of the car at that small distance.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Sberry27
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
120 v circuits are poor power supplies for welding to start with so a machine that runs on them need every advantage they can get and to get sales with lower prices there is only one place to save and that is in the design and features of the machine. There is intense competition with the big 3 to make a quality machine so they use every techno edge they can, it comes at a slightly higher price but with this type of tool its worth it. I have nothing against cheap tools if they work well, but a welder is a poor place to skimp on quality. The good machines have a long life and reputation for durability as well as good technical support. A company like Clarke or ones that make things for Sears are driven by cost. Clarke makes lots of equipment, grinders, all kinds of knock off stuff. Lincoln, Miller, Hobart and Easb make welders and cutters and their sole asset is making a good machine. I see a lot of guys that I know dont think twice about sending in a 3, 4 or 500 a month truck payment but when it comes to a tool like this 200 more is a big deal. My neighbor girl just bought a 25,000 truck and I suggested that in the winter she take it to the quick lube for oil change,,, no, she is going to save 10$ by doing it herself, sometimes we need to keep perspective.

Last edited by Sberry27; 12-21-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:24 AM
Schoonie48F2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hobart is Millers lower line, and I believe Craftsman is built by Lincoln, any of them should be good welders. I have the Lincoln 135 and it is a great little machine, I can weld 1/4" metal all day long with either MIG or Flux-Cored. The Miller is good also as are the Hobart. Don't know much about Craftsman, but if it is built by Lincoln, it will be good. You will get a million different opinions on hear, but I would check them out thoroughly (options, accessories, warranties, etc.) and go with what think would be the best for you...

Good Luck!!!

Old 12-22-2004, 06:18 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have it direct from the dealer I got mine from, Century builds the Craftsman.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:36 AM
Schoonie48F2
Senior User
That would be alright too, my father-in-law swears by Century and won't own anything else.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:51 AM
Duksrule
Tuned
Originally Posted by stryder
Unless things have changed, the Crapsman welders are made by Century...and they are nice for door stops or an anchor.

Stryder

For the record I have one of those "Crapsman" welders and it is great. Not sure who makes it but I know it isn't sears. May be right on the Century re-badging. Anyway it is about 6 years old and I have used it for everything from putting quarters and floors in my 65 Mustang to building trailers. It is a great little welder. I don't exactly baby it with the duty cycle and it just keeps plugging away.

I think this is the one I have but it has the Craftsman name on it.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...subcat=Welders

Also as far as an extention cord, here is what I did. I had an old roll around tool box that I turned into a welding cart. I got a metal electrical box and welded it to the cart. Then got 30 feet of house wire ( I think it is #10 but could be wrond ) at Home Depot off of a real that looks just like an extention cord. Wired it all together and presto just plug in one cord and you have power to the welder and also 3 other outlets for grinders or whatever. Plus the toolbox holds everything that is welding related all in one place.

Last edited by Duksrule; 12-22-2004 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:31 PM
kpmurfy15
Freshman User
Mig Welders

I'm 16 and i take welding at my tech school. We use Miller welders in shop and they are great. I used a craftsman once with flux core and it was no good. i'm not sure if it was because it was flux core or if the welder was crappy. I have a snap-on mig welder and it works pretty good. I have also heard that hobarts are pretty good to.