just got my new 4.2L

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 01:03 PM
4.2Lbeast
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got my new 4.2L

hey everyone i just joined this site so whats up. i was searching for things about my new truck i just got. its a 1999 ford f-150 extended cab with the 4.2 L v6 and youll had some pretty cool discussions on here about it. im 17 and this is my first truck and i completely love it. ive done pretty much all of the mods on it to look good and also a killer sound system so now im looking into making the engine run good. i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what i should do first to this ocmpletely stock engine. i was thinking about a mac cold air intake but i dunno what i should do first. any suggestions would be great thanks.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:06 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
Welcome aboard....check out this thread, and post if you have any more questions.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=237505

Garrett

Old 12-03-2004, 07:15 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum, as Garrett said, check out that thread, and let us know if you have any questions.

Also, I'm dying to see what your truck looks like, so be sure to put up some pics in your gallery when you have a chance.

Rman

Old 12-03-2004, 09:13 PM
low
Senior User
I would say the Mac cold air intake would be the best investment, most hp for money. I am going to try to get one soon. THey claim 12.6 hp. That's pretty good for $150.00.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:53 AM
4.2Lbeast
Freshman User
yeah i saw the mac cold air intake on ebay for 150 bucks do you think it owuld be ok to buy it off of ebay do oyu think it will be reliable? how hard are they to install like do oyu think a 17 year old could do it who has never done that before? if oyu wanna see pictures of my truck i have a website i made on cardomain.com http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/739069 for christmas im getting a billet grille, red neon underbody kit, dark tinting of some kind, and hopefully a tonneau cover. so there will be more mods to come and ill post more pictures as soon as i can get them.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:05 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
That is a badass truck man. If you want more subs, you should take your back seat out and build a custom box to house four subs, those are awesome. You should get new head lights though, I've wanted clear corners, but thought it would look to weird without buying new headlights too--its just two different looks. I dont know. Nice ride though

Old 12-04-2004, 08:46 PM
low
Senior User
I think you can handle the installation. Should only take 15 minutes or so!

Old 12-04-2004, 11:54 PM
4.2Lbeast
Freshman User
does anybody think it owuld be a bad idea to buy the mac cold air intake off of ebay for 150 bucks? if not do yuou know where i can get it for around the same price? wow homer4.2 totally made my day with saying my truck is badass. it looks good but im tired of people telling me stuff about it cause it has a 4.2L in it cause they all have v8's. so im trying to do stuff to my motor so i could be like yeah now what you just got your v8 a** beaten by a 6. what i might do about my subwoofer issue is sell the ones i have now and buy a kicker solobaric 15" L7 and a kicker kx1250 amp that way ill have a hell of alot more bvass and still save more room so i could fit people in back. hey homer where do oyu think i could get the headlights to match my clear corners?

Old 12-05-2004, 07:17 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get the MAC right here:
http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/p...cat=161&page=1

Click on PARTS SHOP at the top of the web site (any page) and you can peruse the whole parts shop.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:28 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Beast,

Nice truck dude. I had no issues with buying my MAC intake on eBay, I'm an eBay fanatic. But like BrianA said, you can find it right there on his link, motorhaven (this forum's sponsor).

You may want to look at getting a seat riser kit so you can fit more subs or amps under the seat. That's the only thing about the super cab, you can't really fit that much stereo junk without taking out the seat. I've got the regular cab, and behind the seat I used to have 4 10" Solobaric L7's sitting in .7 cu-ft. each. I also had 4 6.5" kicker r6's, and 4 1" r25 tweeters. 12 speakers total, all in a regular cab!
I ran the subs off an audiobahn 18001d monoblock amp, 1800 watts RMS, 3600 max. The 6.5's and tweets ran off an audiobahn a4601x 4ch 420rms, 840max. All of the power came out of an audiobahn acap301q, which was a capacitor that looked just like the 4 channel amp, 3 farad capacitance, with fused distribution block and all 3 CHROME amps had digi. voltmeters. Pretty wicked box, weighed about 250lbs with all subs and amps/cap.
Also, if you do anything with your system, you may want to look at just getting a new amp. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference a high quality amp will make, such as kicker, jl, alpine, etc.
If you like a lot of Rap and Hip Hop, a 15" would be great. But for more diverse music, like rock, reggae, and everything inbetween, I would use 10's. 12's are great also, still tight and punchy with deep notes.

You can find the headlights on eBay as well, or go to a company like inpro carparts or carwear or soemthing like that. Another compnay is APC, or american parts company, i think. Just type those into google.

Anyhow, good luck dude!!!

On a side note, I've got a snugtop tonneau, and if you really want one, then get it. I love the look of it, it really cleans everything up. Check out my gallery for pics.

Rman

[/BRAG and BOAST]

Old 12-05-2004, 03:34 PM
4.2Lbeast
Freshman User
ok then i think im gonna buy the cold air intake off of ebay cause someone has it on there for $150 with free shipping. that is crazy how you fit all of those subs in a standard cab i have to give you props for that AWESOME JOB! I would do alot of stuff but i am very limited with money seeing as im 17 with a part time job at papa johns making 5.50 an hour. so yeah i am severely limited with cash. i do listen to alot of rap and hip hop just causes it pushes my subs and has alot of bass so eventually ill probably go to the 15" L7 solobaric that way ill have a crapload of bass and still have room in the backseat. i just ordered a pair of tweeters does anyone know where the best place to put them would be and should i run them off of my door speakers or my amp for my highs? i have a guy that works with me and he has a kicker solobaric l5 on a kicker sx 400 amp and all kicker doors and tweeters on a 800 audiobahn amp and his stuff is extremely loud. the pizza cutters shake around the table when he pulls up to work. so i wanna get the L7 to beat him. i figured he knew alot about subs so i asked him to listen to mine to see if they sounded alright and he said my box for my 2 12" kicker comp vr's was too small and they are starving for air. he said i should either get a ported box or a bigger sealed box and they would hit alot harder. does anyone agree with that or have any advice about all the questions i just asked?

Last edited by 4.2Lbeast; 12-05-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:18 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
My box has a hole in it and I think it sounds alot better than what it would without the hole. But since I only have reg. cab too I couldn't get a huge sealed up box. If you got the room I would get a bigger sealed up box.

I just ordered a MAC intake today off motorhaven, I'll be gettin that for Christmas and I can't wait.

I'm 17 too so I know what you're talkin about with the limited income. haha

where are you from man?

Old 12-05-2004, 04:22 PM
4.2Lbeast
Freshman User
i think im just gonna get a ported box about the same size so i could still fit some people in the back seat of my extended cab. i live in chalmette, louisiana about 8 miles away form new orleans. when oyu get your mac intake lemme know how oyu like it.

Old 12-05-2004, 04:34 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
alright i'll do that..

Im gonna try and tackle the install by myself too, but I know alittle about the engine so I really doubt it'll be a problem for me.

Old 12-05-2004, 05:27 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Beast,

The instructions for the sub will tell you exactly how much airspace you need. Every make and model of sub has different requirements, and the requirements differ from vented (ported) to sealed.

Sealed boxes can be much smaller, have tighter cleaner bass.
Vented boxes hare MUCH bigger, and have SLAMMIN bass.

It's a toss up. Personally, I like SQ much more than SPL, so I go with sealed enclosures. If all you want to do is beat the living daylights out of everything in the world, then get a huge vented box. Forget about your backseat. If you want to be keep your backseat, then sealed is the way to go. Vented boxes require A TON more air than sealed boxes, just about twice as much on up.

For example, a 10" L7 takes .66-1.0 cubic feet in a sealed box.
That same box in a vented enclosure takes 1.25-2.25 cubic feet. That's Huge, for just a single 10. But i guarantee 1 10" L7 in a 2.25 cubic foot box, running off 500w RMS (vented boxed subs can handle a tad bit less wattage), will fool people into thinking you have a 15" running 1000w RMS, AT LEAST.

Rman

Quick Reply: just got my new 4.2L